We’re looking for an Assistant Food and Beverage Manager at RSPB Saltholme Cafe.
About the RSPB
As the UK’s largest nature conservation charity, we think big and act boldly, hoping that one day we can see a world where wildlife, wild places and all people thrive. Our Food and Beverage teams raise vital funds which enable us to carry out globally important conservation work in the race to save nature.
About the Role
This Role is based at RSPB Saltholme Nature Reserve, Seaton Carew Rd, Stockton-on-Tees, Middlesbrough TS2 1TU
This is a Permanent, Full-Time role for 37.5 hours per week. Our Cafe is open 7 days of the week, including weekends and bank holidays.
Key Skills Areas:
- Support the Food and Beverage Manager in the day-to-day running of the cafe.
- Provides a warm welcome, is helpful and friendly with a positive attitude.
- A team-player, working together with the Cafe team and wider Reserve team.
- Shift leading, monitoring team training progress and completion of daily checks in the café.
- Awareness of budgets, controlling costs, increasing sales and monitoring targets.
- Maintains food hygiene and health and safety standards in the work environment.
- Opening and closing duties, including compliance checks, and cashing-up processes.
- Preparing and serving food and drink, including Barista-style coffee and homemade meals.
- Serving customers and providing a warm, friendly welcome to the Cafe.
- Performing daily checks and cleaning in the café seating and kitchen areas, sharing responsibility with the wider Café team to maintain hygiene and quality standards.
- Support the Food and Beverage Manager with ordering stock and monitoring stock to appropriate levels.
- Support the Food and Beverage Manager to ensure team training is completed.
- Support the Food and Beverage Manager with menu development, portion control and allergens management.
- Acting as deputy for the Food and Beverage Manager when they are on annual leave or in the event of illness.
What you can bring to The RSPB:
- A positive outlook, can-do attitude, willing to develop new skills.
- A genuine desire to deliver amazing customer service.
- A passion for good food and drink.
- Level 2 Food Safety certification. (Desirable)
- GCSE Maths and English, or equivalent. (Desirable)
What can the RSPB offer you?
- Daytime working, no split shifts
- Discounts in RSPB Retail Shops, Cafes and Holiday Cottage
- High street discounts through Charity Worker Discounts
- Free entry to RSPB Reserves
- Investment in your Personal and Professional Development
- RSPB Pension Scheme, with matching employer contributions
- Health and Wellbeing support, including Employee Assistance Programme and free flu vaccine
- One paid volunteering day per year for a voluntary organisation of your choice.
Does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to hear from you!
For any questions or an informal chat about the role, please call the team on 01642 546625 to find out more. Alternatively, please email Food and Beverage Manager, Dawn Lodge: Dawn.Lodge@RSPB.org.uk or Senior Site Manager, Chris Francis: Chris.Francis@RSPB.org.uk
As part of this application you will be asked to provide a copy of your CV and complete a short form. If you wish to provide a cover letter with your application, please include this at the end of your CV document upload. Training, support, and development will be offered as part of this role.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship - the successful applicant will need to have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
Before applying for this role, we recommend visiting the site and reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
Please note that we are actively recruiting for this position, and as such reserve the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible. Previous applicants need not apply.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries