We are looking for an inspiring team member who has experience in catering and who understands the important connection between food and the environment. You will assist the Catering Manager in the day-to-day running of the café, maintaining the excellent quality of service and care expected by our customers, supervising and organising the team, preparing and cooking meals, making barista coffees and serving customers.
What's the role about?
Are you energetic and enthusiastic with a desire to help nature by delivering excellent customer service? Would you like to join a friendly team at one of Scotland’s busiest and most important nature reserves?
Our café is not just about serving great food and giving first-class service - it’s about saving wildlife too. We source menu ingredients that are as ethical, local, and nature friendly as possible. By becoming part of our team you’ll help to show our customers that visiting us is the best choice they could have made. If you are passionate about great food, excellent customer service and nature we’d love to hear from you!
About Loch Leven
RSPB Scotland Loch Leven forms part of the Loch Leven National Nature Reserve and is made up of important wetland and woodland habitats. Ospreys, marsh harriers, and swallows visit us in the summer, and up to 20,000 pink-footed geese fly in from Iceland each autumn to spend winter on the loch. Red squirrels are residents of our woodland. We offer a great day out for families, nature lovers, and wildlife watchers and can be easily accessed from the Loch Leven Heritage Trail which brings many walkers and cyclists to the site.
Our visitor centre, the busy hub of the reserve, looks out over our wetland and the loch to Kinross and the distant Ochil Hills. Last year, as part of our commitment to providing excellent, fully accessible facilities, we carried out extensive redevelopment works, including the refurbishment of our café.
About the Role
We are looking for an inspiring team member who has experience in catering and who understands the important connection between food and the environment. You will assist the Catering Manager in the day-to-day running of the café, in line with set RSPB procedures and routines, maintaining the excellent quality of service and care expected by our customers, supervising and organising the team, preparing and cooking meals, making barista coffees and serving customers. You will assist with office tasks, stock control, placing orders, and cleaning. You will also deputise for the Catering Manager when required.
Now, more than ever, hygiene and safety in customer service settings is paramount so we’ll expect you to undertake training in this area, including Food Hygiene training.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Proven track record of working in a busy and successful catering environment.
- Focussed on delivering an exemplar customer service experience.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to share knowledge with confidence and enthusiasm.
- Ability to plan and prioritise your workload
- Problem solving and ability to work on your own initiative.
- Sound understanding of systems and procedures necessary to run a commercial catering operation.
- Experience of working with stock management systems and stock controls.
- Ability to motivate, influence and inspire others, and be able to supervise and train staff and volunteers.
- Computer literate, including Excel spreadsheets.
This is a permanent role, for 30 or 37.5 hours per week (negotiable). Usual working hours are 9:00am to 5:15pm, and include weekends and bank holidays.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position on 1st March 2023. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
This role will require completion of a PVG in addition to the standard pre-employment checks.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship - the successful applicant will need to have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
I feel the RSPB is very flexible and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late, if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Senior Project Manager - LIFE 100% Favourable (Fixed-Term)
- Bird Surveyor at Powharnal
- Estate Worker
- Rural Surveyor. Flexible Central and Eastern England
- Carbon Farming Project Manager - (Fixed-Term)
- Digital PMO Manager - Fully remote
- Part Time - Centre Assistant - Fixed Term
- Legacy Team Executive - RSPB UKHQ - The Lodge
- New to Nature Placement - Assistant Warden. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Part-Time - Cleaner
- Part-Time Retail Assistant
- Visitor Experience Manager
- Volunteer Engagement Manager
- Community Fundraising Manager - Scotland (Part-Time)
- Assistant Warden (Seasonal) Anglesey Terns SPA (4 posts)
- Senior Conservation Officer
- Head of Sustainable Land Use Policy - England
- Fundraising Manager - Scotland
- Part Time - Catering Assistant - (Fixed Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistant x 2 (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Financial Accountant
- Curlew Monitoring Officer - (Fixed term)
- Head of Marine Policy
- Campaigns Developer - Flexible in UK
- Curlew Life Research Assistant (Technical) - RSPB Northern Ireland
- New to Nature Placement - Community and Visitor Engagement Assistant - Apply via Survey Monkey Link
- New to Nature Placement - Access to Nature Project Assistant. Apply via Survey Monkey link.
- Head of Policy & Advocacy - England
- Part-Time Cleaner x 2
- Project Manager - (Frampton Marsh)
- Nature Protection Policy Officer (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time - Learning Assistant - (Fixed term)
- Curlew LIFE Research Assistant (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Bedford Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Luton Area
- Centre Assistant - variable hours - (Fixed Term)
- 2 x Senior Administrator - (Fixed Term)
- Employee Relations Adviser - x3 (Part-Time & Full-Time roles available)
- Research Assistants x2 - Twite Recovery Project
- PT or FT - Senior Project Manager – Nature Positive Biodiversity Gain in Scotland (Fixed Term)
- Assistant Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Telford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Chester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Driffield - Flexible within East Yorks.
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Sheffield
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Glasgow
- Wildlife Fundraiser x2 - RSPB Loch Garten Nature Reserve (Seasonal Contract)
- Curlew Monitoring Officer x 2 – Upper Lough Erne
- Part-Time Car Park Attendant x4 (Fixed-Term)
- Area Manager (East Midlands)
- Education, Families & Youth Officer - Scotland based - Hybrid (Part-Time)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tonbridge Area
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North London
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Isle of Wight
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Cheltenham
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Falmouth
- Rheolwr Cyfathrebu / Communications Manager
- Test Team Lead
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Flexible in UK
- Beach Nesting Bird Project Officer - (fixed term)
- Learning and Visitor Assistant x2 (Part time & Fixed term - March to October)
- Senior Policy Officer - Bioenergy and BECCS - Fixed Term
- Part-Time Cleaner
- Glenwherry Curlew Initiative Monitoring Officer (RSPB Northern Ireland)
- Moorland Warden - (Fixed Term)
- Dundee Project Manager - (Fixed Term - Possible Secondment Opportunity)
- Assistant Warden - Cumbria Coast Reserves
- Conservation Officer - Lough Neagh (Fixed-Term)
- Project Officer - Stone-Curlew (Fixed-Term)
- Government Affairs Manager
- Health, Safety & Environment Advisor - Central England
- Part-Time Learning Assistant (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Finance Officer - Orkney Native Wildlife Project (Fixed-Term)
- Catering Assistant - Loch Leven - Variable Hours Available
- Learning and Visitor Assistant - RSPB Saltholme (Part-Time)
- Senior Beach Warden (Fixed-Term)
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (Variable Hours)
- Site Maintenance Assistant
- Senior Systems Engineer