2 x Seasonal Mountain Ranger - Fixed Term
This is an exciting opportunity to work in the highest reaches of the RSPB's Abernethy Reserve to help protect the wild and fragile Cairngorm Plateau, including the UK’s second highest peak Ben Macdui. This wild, arctic landscape is home to sensitive species such as dotterel and snow bunting and is under increasing pressure from visitors.
What's the role about?
This role involves being a friendly face and the eyes and ears on the ground, chatting to visitors and patrolling the plateau to ensure responsible access in line with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC). Access to nature and wild places is vitally important for mental and physical wellbeing, but the challenge of looking after those places is increasing.
We are looking for 2 reliable, responsible Rangers with proven mountain experience and excellent people skills to patrol the plateau over the summer season. Working in all weathers, the main part of your role will be patrolling key footpaths, engaging with visitors and ensuring they are accessing and enjoying the nature reserve responsibly. Using strong communication skills, you will strive to ensure every visitor you meet has a positive experience of this unique and special area whilst also understanding what responsible access is and why it is so important.
You will be working with the visitor team to ensure a comprehensive Ranger presence in the mountains and wider reserve during busy periods. This role will involve regular weekend and evening working. The ideal candidates will be familiar with the mountain environment, have strong communication skills, be able to work independently and use their initiative - if that's you we'd love to hear from you!
Key work areas:
- To regularly patrol the Cairngorm Plateau around the tops of Cairn Gorm, Ben Macdui and Bynack More as well as Loch A’an. When weather prevents access to the mountains, to patrol the wider reserve including areas like Ryvoan.
- To work with the visitor experience team to co-ordinate an outstanding visitor experience on the reserve.
- To engage with visitors about responsible access and SOAC to encourage everyone to enjoy the reserve responsibly and sustainably.
- To engender respect for the natural world and educate visitors to these mountains about their rights to responsible access.
- To monitor and record visitor behaviour and SOAC infringements to allow us to have a good picture of access issues in the mountains and feed into wider data within the Cairngorms National Park.
- To deliver simple path maintenance tasks to help limit erosion on the mountains.
What we need from you:
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Excellent people and communication skills
- Problem solving skills and ability to work using own initiative.
- Experience in mountainous terrain and a good level of fitness for spending 5 days a week in the mountains.
- Knowledge of health and safety issues in the mountainous terrain.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships.
- Knowledge of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
- Knowledge of the local area.
- Working knowledge of Equal Opportunities and Diversity.
- Ability to plan and prioritise workloads.
- Able to access rural areas without the use of public transport.
- Successful experience of working with a team of staff and/or volunteers.
- Experience of analysing and interpreting data in a visitor experience environment.
Subject to funding, there are two full-time roles available for 5-months from 1 May 2023. Part-time hours are available - please specify in your application if part time is your preferred option. Accommodation will not be provided.
These are 2 5 month Contracts, Full Time or Part Time considered.
The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position asap. For further information please contact email@example.com
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Before applying for this role, we recommend reading through the candidate guidance notes attached to the top of this advert.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options RSPB provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure RSPB is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at RSPB
Gender diversity (male:female)
Across all 4 UK Countries
What employees are saying
RSPB is very flexible, and this is reflected through the Line Management chain - I know I have the flexibility on a daily basis to start early / finish late if something crops up at home - I am very satisfied :)
More roles at RSPB
- Wildlife Fundraiser - North Oxford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Wirral
- Part Time Food and Beverage Assistant
- Conservation Officer - Indonesia (Fixed-Term)
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Essex
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Barnstaple
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Winchester
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Hereford
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Tewkesbury
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Swindon
- International Bycatch Project Officer
- Part Time Humber Reserves Estate Worker (Fixed Term)
- Project Officer - Lough Erne Landscape Partnership (Fixed Term)
- Species Recovery Officer
- Trainee Stalker - Cairngorms Connect
- Senior Conservation Officer - Yorkshire & Humber (Maternity Cover)
- Campaigns Developer
- Science Finance Officer (Fixed Term)
- Visitor Experience Assistant at RSPB South Stack (Fixed-Term)
- Project Manager - Tir Canol (Maternity Cover)
- Site Manager - North Highland Reserves
- Volunteer Development Officer
- Senior Site Manager - RSPB Geltsdale
- Investigations Liaison Officer (Maternity Cover)
- Senior Developer
- Part-Time Rural Surveyor - Midlands
- Biosecurity Officer - Wales (Fixed Term)
- Senior Site Manager
- Ecologist - Peatland Restoration Programme (Fixed Term)
- Senior Research Assistant - Social Sciences (Fixed Term)
- Senior Legacy Officer
- Assistant Warden
- Visitor Operations Manager (Fixed-Term) - RSPB The Lodge & Fowlmere
- Conservation Advisor - Dartmoor Moorland
- Investigations Officers (1 x Permanent, 1 x Fixed-Term)
- Pennaeth Ymgysylltu - Cymru / Head of Engagement - Wales
- Part-Time Centre Assistants (Fixed-Term)
- Senior Conservation Scientist - Avian Influenza (Fixed-Term)
- Part Time Tree Nursery Assistant
- Senior Rural Surveyor, Wareham Arc Recovery Project
- Wildlife Fundraiser - Part-Time or Full-Time - Land's End
- Part-Time Catering Assistants (22.5 hours and zero hours contracts)