At a Glance
Us: Fast-growing startup of 100+ people. We are a remote-first team, mainly based in the UK. YC alumni (summer 2019) and Series A funding of 32$m in 2023. Our mission is to revolutionise how the world learns about people, so people can revolutionise the world.🚀
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team and take a pivotal role in the development and guidance of our product. As a ‘t-shaped’ engineer, you will bring a broad practical knowledge across various areas of software development, complementing and supporting our growing team whilst likely having a deeper specialism in front or backend. This is an exciting opportunity to leverage your existing skills, experience, and knowledge to significantly influence the trajectory of our product as we aim to revolutionise research.
What you'll be doing
- As a member of a cross-functional, stream aligned team you will work collaboratively with the teams’ engineering manager, product manager, designer, researcher and up to 4 other engineers
- Using agile software development practices and a product mindset, you will work as a team to plan, build and support software that our customers love and supports progress towards our OKRs
- Collaborating with teams outside of product engineering, working closely with customers and understanding their needs
- Writing code - our stack is currently Vue.js, Typescript (FE), Python (BE) and NoSQL databases
- Building the future - we’re moving towards Event-Driven Architecture on AWS
- With a You Build It, You Run It mindset, you will have intimate knowledge of our products from code commit through to production operation
- Supporting production systems with shift right testing and tools such as Datadog
- You will champion our principles, be a community of practice member and help improve our engineering culture
- Pushing the boundaries, questioning the status quo, ensuring what we are doing and what we are building has high value and impact for our users
What you’ll bring
- Deep understanding of modern web applications
- Experience using Python, or similar language
- Knowledge of Event-Driven Architecture
- Experience using AWS (Serverless)
- Understand the importance of driving quality into code through test automation
- Have supported applications in production, with demonstrable experience of good observability practices within a full stack environment. (e.g. Rum, Tracing)
- Have worked in a collaborative environment with strong engineering practices
- Care about the product life cycle and are customer value focused
- Understand the value of continuous, iterative improvement using data to drive decisions and a culture of feedback
- Passionate about software development with an appetite for learning and self-improvement
What you’ll get
⚖️ Work-Life Balance: We’re all looking to strike the right work-life balance, and as a remote-first company you’re able to work flexibly from your home in the UK or our dog-friendly co-working space in Shoreditch. We offer 25 days of annual leave plus bank holidays of course, which you can switch with any day of your choosing. We also have adjusted hours where the whole company finishes 2 hours earlier on Fridays.
🏡 Family Life: We offer generous maternity, paternity and shared parental leave. Need to pick your child up from school? No Problem. Our flexible working gives you the childcare flexibility you need.
💰 Pension: We offer a salary sacrifice pension with a 3% starting employer contribution.
📈 Share Options: An exciting option to buy shares of Prolific in the future.
🧘 Wellbeing: We care deeply about our employees well-being, that’s why we offer comprehensive Bupa & Medicash private health insurance, that disregards medical history. Taxable monthly stipend of £150 in order for you to improve your wellness and remote experience. We want you to have a happy and healthy environment so we offer a £1000 home office budget, along with a Apple MacBook when you start, plus a £200 yearly top-up.
⚰️ Death-in-service: We offer a death-in-service benefit that would pay out 4x of your annual salary.
📚 Learn & Grow: Development is important to us, and we want to give all our employees the opportunity to learn. There are many personal growth and career progression opportunities available, as well as mentoring. We also offer a £1000 yearly budget for education, growth and training for you to use at your discretion.
💙 Culture: We’re a friendly bunch here at Prolific; open, transparent and inclusive. Although we’re a remote first company we still love to hang out with each other! We run collaborative quarterly company-wide meets up and team socials (both virtually and in-person), all paid for. Alongside this we offer a £1000 yearly budget for discretionary meet-ups so you can cover travel, food and accommodation. As a business we’re also committed to carbon offsetting; each month we donate money in your name to plant trees 🌳 and being remote we’re doing our bit to offset travel too
Our Interview Process
Talent Call: You'll meet with one of our Talent team and have an exploratory call about the role requirements, life at Prolific, as well as your background and aspirations.
Hiring Manager Interview: You'll interview with two members of the team, one of which will be the hiring manager. You'll have the opportunity to ask about the company and the role, and we'll ask you questions about your experiences and goals. Panel Interview: We'll hold a panel interview that evaluates skills required for the role. You'll meet with more of our team and may be asked to complete a presentation or task. You'll be compensated with a £50 voucher 💰 for completing the task because we know your time is valuable! Final Interview: We will deep dive into your past experiences, goals, motivations, and skills all aligned to our Prolific Principles. You'll speak with two to three members of the team and - as always - have an opportunity to ask questions about the role and company.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Monitoring
Prolific is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome all applications, and consider them without regard to race, religion, belief, age, gender, gender expression, gender identity, gender reassignment, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, sex or sexual orientation.
We are committed to ensuring a fair recruitment process, it's essential to our success. Under the Equality Act (2010) we collect information from individuals at the point of application. We anonymously monitor the profiles of individuals that apply to each vacancy to ensure that no individual is unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.
By submitting your application, you agree that Prolific may collect your personal data for recruiting and global organisation planning. Prolific's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Prolific may process, where Prolific may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Prolific’s use of your personal information.
We asked employees of Prolific how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Prolific
Gender diversity (male:female:non-binary)