At a Glance
Us: Fast-growing startup of 100+ people. We are a remote-first team, mainly based in the UK. YC alumni (summer 2019) and Series A funding of 32$m in 2023. Our mission is to revolutionise how the world learns about people, so people can revolutionise the world.🚀
We're looking for someone who will be ready and motivated to create, implement and maintain a world-class data privacy programme in a scaling business!
As Legal Counsel you will work closely with our General Counsel and Information Security Officer; you will be the 'go to' legal point of contact for the Company for all data privacy and commercial contract matters. You'll act as Prolific's Data Protection Officer and advise on global data privacy issues and oversee compliance in EU and other jurisdictions where necessary. You'll also work closely with the Product team, Information Security Officer and operations team to identify, develop and implement process improvements to Prolific's data privacy programme.
If you want to play a major role in the development of a scaling company this is the perfect role for you! You'll work with teams across the company and particularly with the sales, customer success and finance teams on contract negotiation with corporate clients, contract administration, and management, tracking and reporting, helping to find solutions to commercial issues and looking ahead to offer the best we can to our customers.
What you'll be doing
- Act as the legal point of contact for data privacy and commercial contracts.
- Act as Prolific's Data Protection Officer and advise on global data privacy issues and overseeing compliance in EU and other jurisdictions where compliance is necessary.
- Work with Prolific's sales and customer success teams on contract terms and management.
- Collaborate with the product, operations, and information security teams, to continually improve Prolific's data privacy strategy, operations and security.
- Keep up-to-date with industry guidelines and legislation in data privacy, information security, ISO, HIPAA, and laws and regulations impacting Prolific's products and services.
- Work collaboratively across multi-function teams especially closely with sales, product, finance and operations.
- Ensure legal best practice across the Company.
- Manage relationships with external legal counsel.
What you’ll bring
- Be a qualified solicitor with excellent commercial experience of working in-house or in private practice.
- Be an experienced advisor on all aspects of data privacy and a knowledgeable advisor on data security.
- Be an experienced commercial contract drafter, and a confident negotiator.
- Speak and write clearly, concisely and 'jargon-free' with a flexible style adaptable to multi-jurisdictional needs.
- Have the ability to manage numerous tasks and prioritise according to business needs.
- Be a self starter who is willing to work autonomously and remotely, and curious to learn about new areas.
- Be understanding and compassionate towards others' needs and viewpoints, and effectively facilitate strong multi-team collaboration.
- Have a 'can do' attitude and willing to challenge what has gone before!
Even better if you have
- Experience of working in a high growth startup.
- Experience with working in an online marketplace, fintech or financial regulation.
What you’ll get
⚖️ Work-Life Balance: We’re all looking to strike the right work-life balance, and as a remote-first company you’re able to work flexibly from your home in the UK or our dog-friendly co-working space in Shoreditch. We offer 25 days of annual leave plus bank holidays of course, which you can switch with any day of your choosing. We also have adjusted hours where the whole company finishes 2 hours earlier on Fridays.
🏡 Family Life: We offer generous maternity, paternity and shared parental leave. Need to pick your child up from school? No Problem. Our flexible working gives you the childcare flexibility you need.
💰 Pension: We offer a salary sacrifice pension with a 3% starting employer contribution.
📈 Share Options: An exciting option to buy shares of Prolific in the future.
🧘 Wellbeing: We care deeply about our employees well-being, that’s why we offer comprehensive Bupa & Medicash private health insurance, that disregards medical history. Taxable monthly stipend of £150 in order for you to improve your wellness and remote experience. We want you to have a happy and healthy environment so we offer a £1000 home office budget, along with a Apple MacBook when you start, plus a £200 yearly top-up.
⚰️ Death-in-service: We offer a death-in-service benefit that would pay out 4x of your annual salary.
📚 Learn & Grow: Development is important to us, and we want to give all our employees the opportunity to learn. There are many personal growth and career progression opportunities available, as well as mentoring. We also offer a £1000 yearly budget for education, growth and training for you to use at your discretion.
💙 Culture: We’re a friendly bunch here at Prolific; open, transparent and inclusive. Although we’re a remote first company we still love to hang out with each other! We run collaborative quarterly company-wide meets up and team socials (both virtually and in-person), all paid for. Alongside this we offer a £1000 yearly budget for discretionary meet-ups so you can cover travel, food and accommodation. As a business we’re also committed to carbon offsetting; each month we donate money in your name to plant trees 🌳 and being remote we’re doing our bit to offset travel too
Our Interview Process
Talent Call: You'll meet with one of our Talent team and have an exploratory call about the role requirements, life at Prolific, as well as your background and aspirations.
Hiring Manager Interview: You'll interview with two members of the team, one of which will be the hiring manager. You'll have the opportunity to ask about the company and the role, and we'll ask you questions about your experiences and goals. Panel Interview: We'll hold a panel interview that evaluates skills required for the role. You'll meet with more of our team and may be asked to complete a presentation or task. You'll be compensated with a £50 voucher 💰 for completing the task because we know your time is valuable! Final Interview: We will deep dive into your past experiences, goals, motivations, and skills all aligned to our Prolific Principles. You'll speak with two to three members of the team and - as always - have an opportunity to ask questions about the role and company.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Monitoring
Prolific is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome all applications, and consider them without regard to race, religion, belief, age, gender, gender expression, gender identity, gender reassignment, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, sex or sexual orientation.
We are committed to ensuring a fair recruitment process, it's essential to our success. Under the Equality Act (2010) we collect information from individuals at the point of application. We anonymously monitor the profiles of individuals that apply to each vacancy to ensure that no individual is unfairly discriminated against or disadvantaged.
By submitting your application, you agree that Prolific may collect your personal data for recruiting and global organisation planning. Prolific's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Prolific may process, where Prolific may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Prolific’s use of your personal information.
We asked employees of Prolific how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Prolific
Gender diversity (male:female:non-binary)