What you’ll get:
At Perlego we believe in the key role you will play to achieve our shared mission. You'll belong to a culture of dreamers, team players and avid learners with a flexible, value-based approach. Here, you can become your best self, and through your talent, make a real impact in the world of education.
The numbers speak for themselves:
94% of people you’ll work with are inspired by the purpose and mission of Perlego
88% of people you’ll work with feel they belong at Perlego
90% of people you’ll work with would recommend us as a great place to work
*Stats from our latest anonymous employee engagement survey
What we do
At Perlego, there are over 120 of us working hard to make education accessible to all. We believe access to good quality affordable learning unlocks potential. Knowledge should be more accessible, not locked behind sky-high price tags.
Last year, we expanded our library to make over 1 million books affordable for learners, earned a 100% Gold ASPIRE rating for accessibility and reached over 15 million people. The next stage of Perlego is twofold: 1) expand our support to students and publishers globally, and 2) build a product that goes beyond the book, a platform that helps students study smarter and educators teach more effectively.
What we’re looking for
A Software Engineer with experience in Python, AWS and a modern Framework like Flask, NodeJS, FastAPI, etc. You'll be joining our Content squad, with a goal focusing on onboarding our publisher partners, transforming their content, boosting its discoverability and ensuring its quality to create the best learning experience possible, along with ensuring publishers get the payment, inventory and usage information they need.
How we work together
We organise ourselves into cross-functional squads, with each squad working together on a common data-driven goal. This role will be part of our Content squad consisting of a Technical Lead, 2 Engineers, a QA Engineer, a Product Manager and a Content Onboarding Specialist.
What you’ll do
- You will work in a self-organising team in our product ecosystem providing technical development skills (Python/AWS) within the squad, co-solutioning and getting hands-on implementing the solutions to help your squad achieve its goal.
- You will contribute to the design of distributed AWS cloud systems, Serverless Python or Node.js application back-ends. With your squad you'll bring these solutions to life, writing high-quality code utilising test-driven development (Pytest / Jest), continuous integration (AWS) and code review (GitHub).
- You will help build and maintain processing pipelines in Python to transform data from our suppliers in order to make the content available to our users quickly and reliably.
- Helping troubleshoot any issues which will require a good understanding of Python, Bash, Node.js and several AWS services (such as Lambda, S3, Step Functions, Fargate).
- You and your cross-functional squad will look after application features from inception to production working with customers and business stakeholders to bring them to life and support them in production.
It’s the perfect role for you if you have:
- Experience with Python programming and Bash scripting
- Experience in implementing back-end systems using a modern framework such as Flask, Django, FastAPI or NodeJS.
- Experience working with Cloud computing providers (AWS) and strong Linux familiarity.
- Experience working with Relational Database Design and NOSQL Databases
- An understanding of architectural practices including: Microservices, REST, object-oriented & functional programming.
- Experience working in an Agile environment with Test Driven Development, CI/CD
- Several years of commercial experience as a software engineer
- Experience working with non-technical stakeholders and the ability to boil down complex technical problems and make them easy to understand.
⭐️ It’s a plus if you have:
- Experience in a startup environment
- Have a general interest in books, reading and always learning new things!
🌈 Benefits include:
The salary available for this role is £58,000-£65,000
Why should you work at Perlego?
Apart from our mission, we foster a unique company culture championing self-empowerment, personal development, direct communication and mutual support. We’re proud of our Glassdoor reviews and the fact that 97% of our team would recommend Perlego as a place to work.
Want to learn more about how we’re making learning accessible? Check out our latest impact report
We're making learning accessible to all and we want our ways of working to be accessible too. Choose between our impressive office in Chancery Lane, remote work or a bit of both. Work in a way that supports your needs and your life. We trust people to know what works best for them.
We are flexible if you wish to work remotely overseas for short periods of time, as long as you remain a UK tax resident 🗺
🧠 L&D Budget
We value continuous learning, you will get £500 per year to spend on the training of your choice
🌱 Unlimited Coaching Opportunities
Unlimited access to MoreHappi, an on-demand professional coaching platform to offer all employees access to unbiased and professional coaching opportunities.
🤓 Learning Time
All employees have dedicated Learning Time to focus on new skills, projects or interests that lay outside of their day-to-day job
🌴 Work-Life Balance
Everyone needs a break, so enjoy 30 days off (incl. bank holidays) + 1 additional day annual leave for every year of service up to 35 days off (incl. bank holidays)
🛐 Flexi Bank Holidays
We understand that not everyone aligns with the same calendar; we offer the flexibility to take your local country's bank holiday allowance for other religious or cultural days.
e.g. switch UK Easter Bank Holidays Days for Eid celebrations
❄️ Office Reset
All employees can also enjoy the days between Boxing Day and New Year off, to reset and refresh for the new year - this is additional to your annual leave 🙂
After three years there is an opportunity to take a 1-month unpaid sabbatical, and after five years there is an opportunity to take a 1-month paid sabbatical
💛 Personal Days
Life happens and we want you to be able to use your annual leave for resting, relaxing or taking time out to do something you love!
We offer 1 additional day a year for life events (your wedding, relocation, moving house, or a child starting school).
🍏 Health & Wellbeing
We want everyone to feel healthy and happy, so you get the choice of a wellbeing subsidy or private medical insurance via Vitality.
💭 Mental Health
All employees also get access to a free counselling support service via Spill
💸 Financial Wellbeing
Track your financial goals and receive financial advice all via Mintago
🚲 Cycle to Work Scheme
We're committed to building a sustainable business, so we encourage cycling to work. Perlego will buy your bike of choice, which you'll pay back over 12 months.
We're a tight-knit bunch who enjoy our time to play. We have regular social events and activities for everyone - everything from white water rafting to board game nights.
🍼 Family time
We believe family is really important; we offer new parents a competitive matched parental leave as well as a phased return to work from extended leave.
👼 Workplace Nursery Benefit
We want to support working parents and carers, so we offer a workplace nursery benefit scheme, helping our employees potentially save thousands of £££ against the cost of nurseries each year.
👋 Belonging at Perlego:
🌈 We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity of thought and background.
❤️ We are actively building a diverse team, so we strongly encourage applications from people of colour, the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, neurodivergent people, parents, carers, and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds.
📣 To enable an equitable experience for all and give you the best chance of success, if you have any specific requirements for any stage of the interview process, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We asked employees of Perlego how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Perlego
Gender diversity (male:female)
1 Waterhouse Square, 138 Holborn, London EC1N 2ST