3–4 days per week at home
Fully flexible hours
At Papercup we’re on a mission to make the world’s videos watchable in any language. We’ve invented a patented AI system that generates humanlike synthetic voices across languages, allowing people to watch video content in the language of their choice. Our translated and dubbed content has allowed the likes of Insider, Discovery, Sky News, and Canva to reach over 300 million people globally in just the last year.Having just completed a $20 million Series A round, we're on the hunt for top people to join our ambitious mission.
We’re backed by some of the industry’s heaviest hitters - venture funds like Octopus Ventures, world-renowned angel investors including Des Traynor (co-founder of Intercom) and John Collison (co-founder of Stripe), as well as global media groups like Sky and Guardian Media Group.
We are driven, curious and passionate - our company culture is imperative to us and we set a high bar for those who join theteam. We're also fun to be around (at least that's what people tell us).
About the role:
You will be work on Greenfield projects and shape core services that power Papercup. Here’s some of what you will drive:
- Owning the end-to-end technology execution. From architecture and hosting to deployments and monitoring, you will be responsible for shipping product features end-to-end. You will be actively seeking to improve our systems and processes
- Setting up and optimising API integrations. Working along with the data-science team to implement advanced data science models and setting up necessary analytics across the whole product
- Collaborating closely with product and design. You will be expected to contribute to the product roadmap, giving feedback on designs and providing critical insights on how any of those decisions impact our engineering architecture
- Speaking with freelancers. Everyone at Papercup is encouraged to use our tool to translate content and develop a deeper understanding of the challenges we are solving for
We need your help with:
- Building a configurable human in the loop workflow to accommodate for various workflows depending on the customer requirements
- Creating a system to effectively manage a large, distributed (geographically) cohort of freelancers
- Scale our systems to enable higher throughput
What we look for form you:
- Good understanding of Go
- Previously worked have worked with cloud providers (AWS) with modern container management systems such as Kubernetes
- Have built tooling to simplify work for other engineers
- Have worked with different types of database systems such as Postgres, Elasticsearch
- Attention to detail
- The desire to be continually learning about emerging technologies/industry trends
- And you like to help others
Nice to Have:
- Knowledge of GCP and Azure
- Experience with ML deployment and ML models
Engineering at Papercup:
- Don’t stick to specific dogma. We don't believe there is a single solution or methodology that fits all companies. At Papercup we study different solutions, and adapt them to our use case.
- Everyone is a problem solver. If you have an idea for a better system or process, then you have a voice. We all participate in discussions by proposing and commenting on RFCs. You can, and should help build out our development practices.
- We are all geeks. We all love learning and trying out new tools, learn new techniques. Some of the events we host to foster a learning culture are:
- Papercup University - every two weeks a member of the team presents to the whole company a topic they are passionate about.
- Learning Week - you can take a week a year to spend time learning about topics that are relevant to them.
- No silos, everybody works with everybody. All teams work together to help to improve each other's processes.
Our Tec Stack:
Infrastructure: AWS (VPC, RDS, ECS Fargate, Lambda, S3), GCP (AI APIs), Sentry, Vercel, Auth0, RedisLabs, CircleCI, helm, Docker, Airbyte
Languages: Go, TypeScript and Python
Database: Postgres, MySQL, BigQuery
Tools: Notion, Shortcuts, Metabase
Why you should consider us?
- We are not a traditional web development, we work with heavy media files and GPU instanced machines. All this, comes with challenges that we find exciting to solve.
- As an engineering team, we have a lot of trust and autonomy within the company to invest time into our infrastructure, code and tooling.
- This was written by Engineers, so you know
- We really care about our people - culture matters deeply to us and we are committed to building a company that people are proud to work for
- We're growing fast. That means you can help grow the business from the ground up and maintain a lot of ownership
Apart from all this good stuff, what else do we offer?
- Competitive salary of £75,000 - £85,000 depending on experience
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Hybrid working: flex between WFH and time in our Old Street office (around 2 days per week)
- Private medical cover or monthly wellness bonus
- Learning budget and 'reading week' to carve out time to up skill in your domain
- The usual food and fun perks: snacks, beer fridge regular team socials, annual offsites
Please note we’re not looking for someone who ticks all the boxes, if you have some of the skills listed above and are willing to learn, you’re the person for Papercup.