At Papercup we’re on a mission to make the world’s videos watchable in any language. We’ve invented a patented AI system that generates humanlike synthetic voices across languages, allowing people to watch video content in the language of their choice. Our translated and dubbed content has allowed the likes of Insider, Discovery, Sky News, and Canva to reach over 300 million people globally in just the last year.Having just completed a $20 million Series A round, we're on the hunt for top people to join our ambitious mission.
We’re backed by some of the industry’s heaviest hitters - venture funds like Octopus Ventures, world-renowned angel investors including Des Traynor (co-founder of Intercom) and John Collison (co-founder of Stripe), as well as global media groups like Sky and Guardian Media Group.
We are driven, curious and passionate - our company culture is imperative to us and we set a high bar for those who join theteam. We're also fun to be around (at least that's what people tell us).
As a member of the machine learning function at Papercup, you will be part of a great team pushing the boundaries of neural text-to-speech synthesis and speech-to-speech translation systems. You will be working closely with machine learning engineers to help define, orchestrate and execute the data commissions underpinning the training of our models.
Papercup has ambitious targets to grow its translation services to many languages. In order to do this, we need to record data, often from different studios, in many languages and to satisfy a variety of research requirements. This process has many moving parts that need to align. You will be in charge of liaising with the studios and managing the internal processes in order to ensure speedy delivery of the data, and new voices which are listened to by millions of people all over the world!
What you will do with us:
- Manage complex data commissions and data collection projects
- Recruit and manage linguists, phoneticians and other quality assurance freelancers
- Communicate the progress of project statuses to the relevant stakeholders and company
What we are looking for from you:
- Technical ability to run and develop scripts
- Experience in collecting data
- Excellent organisation skills, to plan the use of people and resources to meet deadlines
- Experience managing complex projects related to data acquisition (defining processes, requirement gathering, stakeholder management, and quality control)
- Linguistic background to help understand the nuances of speech and writing systems in many languages
Apart from all this good stuff, what else do we offer?
- Competitive salary of £50,000 - £60,000 depending on experience
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Hybrid working: flex between WFH and time in our Aldgate office (around 2 days per week)
- Private medical cover or monthly wellness bonus
- Learning budget and 'reading week' to carve out time to up skill in your domain
- The usual food and fun perks: snacks, beer fridge regular team socials, annual offsites
Please note we’re not looking for someone who ticks all the boxes, if you have some of the skills listed above and are willing to learn, you’re the person for Papercup.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Papercup provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Papercup is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Papercup
Gender diversity (male:female)
London - Aldgate
$20m Series A