Fully flexible hours
What do we do?
Paddle offers SaaS companies a completely different approach to their payments infrastructure. Instead of assembling and maintaining a complex stack of payments-related apps and services, we’re a Merchant of Record for our customers, taking away 100% of the pain of payments fragmentation. It’s faster, safer, cheaper, and, above all, way better.
In May 2022, we joined forces with ProfitWell. ProfitWell provides BI solutions that improve retention and monetization automatically through unmatched subscription intelligence. As one team and one platform, we offer the "done for you" approach to SaaS payments, billing, and growth.
We’re backed by investors including KKR, FTV Capital, Kindred, Notion, and 83North and serve over 3000 software sellers in 245 territories globally.
As Legal Counsel you will be a member of the Paddle Legal Team, led by our General Counsel and working closely with our Senior Legal Counsel and Senior Paralegal. The Legal team is intrinsically integrated into Paddle’s business and you will be required to collaborate and advise cross functionally, empowering the business to achieve its goals.
The role itself will be extremely varied., You will be delivering first-rate legal advice in a fast-paced dynamic environment, identifying risk and balancing common sense with legal expertise. You will be an excellent generalist and not afraid of operating within ambiguity.
As Legal Counsel, you will consider the longer-term impacts whilst also being able to react quickly to deliver level headed, creative and context appropriate solutions to ensure the best possible customer experience in the ever changing tech space.
The role will be based in the UK; however this role will be global in scope.
What you'll do:
- Support the General Counsel in her duties and advise and partner with every team from across the business on a wide range of matters.
- Draft and negotiate a range of contracts, including B2B SaaS customer agreements, and supply partner agreements.
- Draft, negotiate, and advise on data protection agreements, terms of service, privacy policies, and other contracts and disclosures
- Risk-spot and proactively identify legal solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risk.
- Work with the business to assess the legal implications of growth opportunities in different jurisdictions.
- Be responsible for and ensure effective contract management and monitoring.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures that ensure compliance within the space Paddle operates.
- Support the People team with employment related matters
- Support with corporate and governance related matters.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Proven experience of post qualification experience in a leading law firm or in house with the ability to practise in the United Kingdom.
- Exposure within scaling Tech businesses preferably within the payments sector.
- Demonstrable learning agility and bags of common sense and are not afraid of picking up matters you have never dealt with before.
- The desire to own your projects, while also happy to help pitch in when the team needs you.
- The ability to work independently.
- An excellent and persuasive communication style whose advice is actively sought out and heeded.
- Experience tailoring your legal advice to the recipient, whether they be senior management or a junior contributor.
- You are commercially minded and able to deliver creative, helpful and practical solutions to a rapidly growing business under pressure and operating within ambiguity
Everyone is welcome at Paddle
At Paddle, we’re committed to removing invisible barriers, both for our customers and within our own teams. We recognise and celebrate that every Paddler is unique and we welcome every individual perspective. As an inclusive employer we don’t care if, or where, you studied, what you look like or where you’re from. We’re more interested in your passion for learning and what you’ll bring to the table. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t match every part of the job ad, especially if you’re part of an underrepresented group. Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to better support you through the application process and in the workplace. We’re committed to building a diverse team where everyone feels safe to be their authentic self. Let’s grow together.
Why you’ll love working at Paddle
We are a diverse, growing group of Paddlers across the globe who pride ourselves on our transparent, collaborative and respectful culture. We live and breathe our values, which are:
Execute with impact
Better than Yesterday
We offer a full suite of benefits, including attractive salaries, stock options, retirement plans, private healthcare and wellbeing initiatives.
We are a ‘digital-first’ company, which means you can work remotely, from one of our stylish hubs, or even a bit of both! We offer all team members unlimited holidays and 4 months paid family leave regardless of gender. We love our casual dress code, annual company retreats and much more. We invest in learning and will help you with your personal development via constant exposure to new challenges, an annual learning fund, and regular internal and external training.