Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our award-winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal. Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding. This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
Motorway is growing its technology team and business, and as part of our growth we’re now looking to hire Tech Leads to help lead our Engineering Squads.
We’re currently a microservices environment, hosted and deployed in Heroku (almost fully moved to AWS), using a CI/CD pipeline.
- Overall responsible for the architecture, design, code quality, platform stability and resilience of the features your team produces - you don’t do it all, you work with your team to make it happen!
- Take architectural ownership
- Work with your team to scope complex tasks and projects, working closer with the Product Manager to break them down into smaller, tangible tasks and stories
- Mentor and help grow other engineers
- Partner with your Product Manager and Engineering Manager to help with decisions around prioritisation, work division, goal setting and tech debt
- Develop new features - at least 50% of your time, preferably 70% should be writing new features
- Engineer a better code base with your team
- Be part of an 8-10 person agile, cross functional, Engineering Squad
- Help evolve development standards and processes
- Model the behaviour you want to see in the team
- Be a people leader – Mentoring and promoting career growth by providing feedback, learning & development opportunities to your team.
What You'll Get:
- Opportunity to make a huge impact on the companies success
- Support and guidance from talented colleagues
- Exposure to working with a multiple disciplinary tech team
- Fantastic industry based experience to further advance your career
- Strong commercial experience working with web apps, website and APIs in a production environment
- Experience of agile software development practices and working collaboratively in a team environment
- Experience working with relational databases and NoSQL databases, including complex queries and performance optimization
- Enjoy helping other Engineers become better Engineers
- Be hands-on with development teams, you’ll understand what good code looks like and see the bigger picture, taking architecture into consideration with a DevSecOps mindset.
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential
- Previous experience in leading a team is useful, but not essential
At Motorway, we believe in rewarding you with more than just a pay cheque. That's why we've created a benefits package to help you do your best work and support your development.
From benefits that help look after your health, to a personalised learning budget, cycle-to-work scheme and enhanced parental leave, we’ve got you covered.
- A competitive salary
- Stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team, so we want you to be included in our success
- Annual learning budget - you can choose how you like to learn and find the best learning experiences to support your progression.
- BUPA health insurance
- Discounted dental through BUPA
- Discounted gym membership through BUPA
- On-Hand volunteering membership + 1 volunteering day per year
- Hybrid working from home (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme (Octopus EV) - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories
- Regular social events
Equal opportunities statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where people can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
We asked employees of Motorway how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Motorway
London & Brighton