Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our award-winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal. Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
About the role:
As a tech lead you'll be on a mission: to create the most personalised vehicle selling and buying platform on the planet. But you won't be alone! You will work closely with our senior engineers as well as coach and mentor your team to ensure the timely delivery of features and architecture changes. You will be the technical point of contact for the team, ensuring code quality, promoting good practices and improving existing systems and processes to ensure stability, security, and performance of our platforms.
This is a greenfield opportunity for you to solve very interesting problems in the industry while having great impact. Help us build something no one has done before in the industry!
You will work in a cross-functional squad (Product Managers, Design Leads, and Engineers) to deliver new platforms and solve some interesting problems in the industry!
What you'll do:
- You'll be responsible for the architecture, design, code quality, platform stability and resilience of the features your team produces - you don’t do it all, you work with your team to make it happen!
- Work with your team to scope complex tasks and projects, working closer with the Product Manager to break them down into smaller, tangible tasks and stories
- Be a people leader – You'll lead, mentor and promote career growth by providing feedback, learning & development opportunities to your team.
- Partner with your Product Manager and Engineering Manager to help with decisions around prioritisation, work division, goal setting and tech debt
- Develop new features - at least 50% of your time, preferably 70% should be writing new features
- Engineer a better code base with your team
- Help evolve development standards and processes
- Model the behaviour you want to see in the team
We encourage you to apply, even if you feel you don't meet all the requirements
- Excellent communication skills. You're capable of bridging the gap between engineering and stakeholders.
- You are autonomous, reliable and accountable.
- Demonstrable experience leading technical teams.
- Experience planning and confirming technical specs for features or system design (Convert requirements from stakeholders to tasks that need to be implemented).
- Experience of agile software development practices and working collaboratively in a team environment
- You enjoy helping other Engineers become better Engineers
- Be hands-on with development teams, you’ll understand what good code looks like and see the bigger picture, taking architecture into consideration with a DevSecOps mindset.
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential.
- A competitive salary
- Annual learning budget - you can choose how you like to learn and find the best learning experiences to support your progression.
- BUPA health insurance
- Discounted dental through BUPA
- Discounted gym membership through BUPA
- On-Hand volunteering membership and one paid volunteering day per year
- Hybrid working from home (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced parental leave
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories
- Regular social events
- Cycle to work scheme
Equal opportunities statement
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where people can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
We asked employees of Motorway how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Motorway
London & Brighton