Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our award-winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal. Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding. This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better.
About the job
Are you someone with a passion for DevOps and are looking to help build and be part of a new Platform Engineering team within the Motorway tech org? Motorway is rapidly growing its technology team and business, and we want to provide our developers with the best platform experience — which is where you come in.
We have recently built and rolled out a new container platform on top of AWS Fargate, along with our own release manager. We are currently rolling out Datadog to enhance our observability and reliability. We will continue to build new features into our platform to support further engineering-wide initiatives.
This is an exciting time to join — the team is new and the company growing which presents opportunities to do things “right” to set up success for the org into the future.
What you'll do
- Manage, maintain & support our AWS environments and supporting infrastructure.
- Build great tooling for engineering teams.
- Reduce manual work (toil) for the technology team – yourself included! If we can automate it, with a tool or script - let’s do it. Infrastructure as code.
- Own and implement appropriate monitoring & alerting.
- Assist the development teams in using these metrics to ensure the reliability of the platform across all services across all deployments.
- Define service level objectives.
- Own and implement new continuous deployment & release improvements to support Motorways ambitious future plans.
- Keep up to date with best practices in application hosting and continuous deployment.
- Upskill and mentor other engineers in the team.
As a senior engineer you are expected to be able to demonstrate experience in broadly similar fields and technologies. This means we expect you to “have been there, done that” before, and while learning is important and supported you won't need active support beyond your onboarding. Bring your battle stories about how things went wrong and what you learned from the experience.
- Proven track record of supporting and operating web platforms in production at scale.
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS.
- Experience defining metrics and monitoring on web platforms and setting up alerting for when those metrics are breached. Know what good and bad monitoring looks like.
- Ability to monitor and identify network policy violations and system breaches.
- Experience with continuous delivery and zero-downtime deployments.
- Experience with incident response in an on-call environment.
- Comfortable with command-line tools and environments.
- Proficient with at least one programming language.
- Enjoy solving complex problems by working with people from outside your immediate team.
- Working in a fast-paced environment where requirements and projects are always changing.
- Enjoy mentoring and sharing knowledge within the team and greater engineering org.
This position will include some level of out of hours on-call after your initial training period and will be supported by the rest of the engineering team — you are not expected to be on-call 24/7/365.
What You'll Get:
- Opportunity to make a huge impact on the companies success
- Support and guidance from talented colleagues
- Exposure to working with a multiple disciplinary tech team
- Fantastic industry based experience to further advance your career
At Motorway, we believe in rewarding you with more than just a pay cheque. That's why we've created a benefits package to help you do your best work and support your development.
From benefits that help look after your health, to a personalised learning budget, cycle-to-work scheme and enhanced parental leave, we’ve got you covered.
- A competitive salary
- Stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team, so we want you to be included in our success
- Annual learning budget - you can choose how you like to learn and find the best learning experiences to support your progression.
- BUPA health insurance
- Discounted dental through BUPA
- Discounted gym membership through BUPA
- On-Hand volunteering membership + 1 volunteering day per year
- Hybrid working from home (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme (Octopus EV) - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories
- Regular social events
Equal opportunities statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where people can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
We asked employees of Motorway how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Motorway
London & Brighton