Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our award-winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal. Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
About the role
Our engineering team is growing and we’re looking for multiple backend engineers on the mission to create the most powerful vehicle transaction platform on the planet!
Are you passionate about technology? Do you like making a big impact while learning? Are you looking for a forward-thinking team where you can develop your career fast? Then, keep tuned, because we’re looking for you!
This is a greenfield opportunity where you’ll be responsible for building new and innovative products, experimenting with machine learning while developing brand-new features, and solving fascinating problems in transforming an industry.
We’re looking for engineers to work in:
- B2C platform (car seller)
- B2B (Dealer)
What you’ll do:
- Work to improve performance and caching as our platform continues to scale.
- Build highly maintainable, reusable, scalable, and reliable code.
- Work with our infrastructure (currently AWS) to scale as we grow, providing the highest possible performance, monitoring, and alerting.
- Collaborate with product and design to build work that has excellent UX and quality values.
- Be part of our flat-structured development team and be involved in the technical and product strategy of the business.
- Champion and implement software development best practices to ensure our code is high quality, well-tested, scalable, and secure.
We encourage you to apply, even if you might not meet all the requirements.
- Experience configuring, deploying and monitoring app and websites on AWS.
- Experience working with relational databases and NoSQL databases, including complex queries and performance optimisation.
- Understanding of web design patterns, including SOLID principles of design.
- Previous experience working in a company scaling up is useful, but not essential.
- Experience working in a collaborative, agile team environment.
- Experience working with automated testing and continuous integration and delivery.
- A competitive salary
- Annual learning budget - you can choose how you like to learn and find the best learning experiences to support your progression.
- BUPA health insurance
- Discounted dental through BUPA
- Discounted gym membership through BUPA
- On-Hand volunteering membership and one paid volunteering day per year
- Hybrid working from home (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced parental leave
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories
- Regular social events
- Cycle to work scheme
Equal opportunities statement
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where people can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships
We asked employees of Motorway how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Motorway
London & Brighton