Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our award-winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
Motorway is now valued at over $1 billion and is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having raised £143 million in Series C funding.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
We’re looking for a Financial Controller to join the exciting ride we're on at Motorway. Reporting directly into the Head of Finance, you will manage teams across transactional finance and accounting and control. You will have significant scope and opportunity to shape and build a best in class operational finance team.
This is a vital role within the business and is suited to a driven individual wanting to continue to develop their finance career in an ambitious and fast paced business. You will need to be able to effectively manage your own and your team’s time in order to deal with multiple priorities. You will need to have a hands-on approach and a good eye for detail and be confident communicating with a variety of stakeholders. Responsibilities include;
- Transactional finance: Day-to-day oversight and management of Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable teams, and ensuring efficient and accurate processing of daily transactions.
- Month-end: own the month-end close process and the timely and accurate preparation of management accounts
- Tax reporting and compliance: Responsible for VAT filing and R&D tax credit process
- Financial reporting: own the financial reporting and the production of year-end statutory accounts in line with relevant accounting standards
- Technical accounting: production of technical papers to support policies and judgements
- External audit: Responsible for day-to-day management of the audit process and key point of contact to the auditors. Guiding the company through its first year and subsequent audits.
- Automation and process improvements: Re-visiting all of the existing processes and controls, automating through software where possible, and streamlining workflows. Developing and maintaining a best practice control environment and consistently striving to enhance the wider financial control environment
- Coaching & mentoring: Providing support, training and guidance to your team - you will have experience of managing and growing a team and be willing to recruit, lead and develop.
- Stakeholder management: Acting as a key finance contact for stakeholders across the business and supporting the Senior Management team where required.
- Owning relationships with key third-party providers including outsourced credit control, auditors, lawyers and tax advisers
- Ad-hoc as required - including operations & project management duties
What you'll get
- Opportunity to build and scope and entire operational finance team
- You'll be part of a rapid growth story
- Mentorship and support from leaders across the business
- Investment into your growth as a finance leader
- ACA/ACCA/CIMA qualified professional - Strong level of post qualified experience, ideally in a similar position within a scaling organisation
- Strong technical knowledge including IFRS and UK GAAP
- Software and Systems - Proficiency in MS Excel and Google Sheets, and experience of using an accounting package, ideally Netsuite
- Strategic thinking - Ability to grasp the big picture and make strategic recommendations based on data
- Hunger for automation - A real desire to improve processes and automate wherever possible.
- People management - Experience of leading a team and strong organisational and time management skills
- Hands on attitude - willingness to roll up sleeves and the confidence to take on challenges outside of traditional areas of expertise
- Communication - Strong communicator who is able to influence and lead, comfortable dealing with internal and external stakeholders
- A competitive salary
- Significant stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team - we want you to be included in our success
- BUPA private health insurance
- Annual learning budget with Learnerbly
- Enhanced Maternity/Paternity leave
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week)
- Pension Scheme
- Discounted Calm membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- A fun working environment with regular social events
- The chance to join a rapidly growing company that cares first and foremost about its people
- Fast career progression and the ability to develop your own skills and experience quickly
Equal Opportunities Statement
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.
We asked employees of Motorway how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Motorway
London & Brighton