Motorway is the UK's fastest-growing used car marketplace - our award-winning, online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.Founded in 2017, our technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of more than 400 people across our London and Brighton offices.
About the job
Our engineering team is growing! And we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to help us build new and innovative products, drive both strategy and execution for creating an unparalleled developer interface for Motorway across the software development lifecycle.
You will partner with our product and engineering leadership team to lead, mentor and grow our enablement function, inspiring them to do their best work. If you are someone who wants to build a world-class engineering organisation, thrives in simplifying ambiguous situations and is passionate about making a positive impact, keep on the loop, we're looking for you!
You will have direct influence on company strategy and mission while also playing a hands-on role in defining and building our developer experience (DX), Documentation, Developer Research, and API/CLI efforts. This is a great opportunity to empower, influence and inspire our engineering team at Motorway: You'll help to create a safe environment which allows teams to be their authentic selves.
- Be a people leader – Mentoring and promoting career growth by providing feedback, learning & development opportunities to your team.
- Be a technology leader – You'll be the technical sounding for your team with a strong focus on quality, performance, reliability, scalability & maintainability. This is not a hands-on role but you should be able to drive system design and architectural solutions.
- Capture metrics and reporting to help guide continuous improvement.
- Drive design and planning activities by removing ambiguities, resolving dependent question and providing high level engineering estimates
- Work cross-functionally with other leaders to make the engineering life at Motorway easier for everyone!
This is a greenfield project where you will expand the Developer Enablement team, defining and influencing the developer experience across Motorway to help us in our Serverless first approach.
Don't worry if you feel you don't meet all the requirements. Feel free to apply if you feed you could be a good fit for this role! We want to hear from you!
- A clear understanding of AWS, GCP and its surrounding services
- You have prior experience owning the technical direction and strategy of a Platform, DevOps or Enablement team
- You have implemented and improved monitoring and engineering metrics.
- You have experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC).
- You have successfully implemented a strategy for effectively monitoring and observing systems in production
- You're able to guide difficult decision-making processes, and helping the team reach consensus.
- You've worked with serverless architectures (Lambda)
- Stock options - we succeed and fail together as a team, so we want you to be included in our success
- Annual learning budget - you can choose how you like to learn and find the best learning experiences to support your progression.
- BUPA health insurance
- Discounted dental through BUPA
- Discounted gym membership through BUPA
- On-Hand volunteering membership + 1 volunteering day per year
- Hybrid working from home (approximately 1-2 days in the office a week)
- Pension scheme
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave
- Regular social events
Equal opportunities statement
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where people can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
We asked employees of Motorway how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Motorway
London & Brighton