We established Mind Foundry to ensure that AI can be used to radically transform our world for the better. To do this, we design intelligent tools that are easy to understand and easy to use. Born within the University of Oxford’s Machine Learning Group and founded by world-leading academics Professors Stephen Roberts and Mike Osborne, we empower teams with responsible AI solutions. We tackle high-stakes problems that help organisations in the public and private sectors, focusing on human outcomes and the long-term impact of AI interventions.
We grow and succeed together by working in collaborative, flexible, and self-organising remote-first teams, where your passion for robust, science led, product development will allow you to thrive. Working at Mind Foundry will provide an excellent platform for you to grow, learn, and have a real impact on the important problems in the world by helping us to make our vision a reality.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are growing our team and are seeking a Lead Research Scientist with experience in the Defence & Security sector. You will become the lead of one of our crews working on Defence & Security as part of our Applied Machine Learning team. You’ll engage directly with clients and stakeholders within the business, creating solutions for problems outside of our product sphere, or helping to apply the existing products into their business, alongside development of new and existing features for our main products.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
You'll be leading one of our Defence & Security teams, working alongside partner organisations to use your experience in one or more of the following areas to help create and manage delivery of AI/ML solutions: signal processing, geospatial data modelling, image processing and high-fidelity simulations of physical systems. It is highly likely that as part of this role you will be required to work away at partner locations. This may be for up to 1 week at a time and we aim for this to not happen more than once every 2 months.
As as a lead research scientist you'll need to:
- Act as lead on projects, supervising other team members in their work, liaising with Project Managers and interacting directly with customers
- Provide supervision/oversight on projects across the sector
- Maintain and develop a good working knowledge of state-of-the-art Machine Learning research
- Attend appropriate scientific conferences and events in areas related to our products and services
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the team (Product Managers, Research Scientists, Research Software Engineers and our Engineering teams) to deliver professional-level software prototypes
- Contribute to the sector strategy with Product Managers, attending client meetings as required
- Contribute to business development activities through leading bid and grant applications and defining and implementing workplans for delivery
- Be responsible for ensuring scientific rigour and best practice is maintained throughout the product feature delivery process, from research project to final implementation
- Mentor colleagues in performing research, or learning about Machine Learning or Data Science
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A doctorate in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics or related field, or an equivalent level of experience in these subjects
- 3+yrs commercial experience, preferably in the Defence & Security sector
- Experience leading a technical team
- Ability to work with state-of-the-art ML libraries to deliver powerful results quickly (e.g. Tensorflow or Pytorch)
- Be fluent in a high-level programming language (Python/Java), ideally in a scientific or commercial context
- Experience designing and implementing software systems that allow users to make best use of ML models in a clear and intuitive way
- Be a champion of scientific integrity practices in terms of experimental rigour and validation
- Be eager to learn and have a collaborative approach
- Be comfortable speaking to customers and understanding what they need, or happy to learn quickly
- Willing and eligible to apply and obtain UK security clearance to Security Check (SC) or Developed Vetting level, if not holding an existing clearance
GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Experience working with audio, radio frequency or imagery data.
- Experience handling large datasets, suitable software techniques and hardware requirements
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle and Agile methodologies
- Experience with Git and version control
- Ability to communicate complex ideas at varying levels of depth according to audience
WHAT ELSE DO WE OFFER?
We believe in investing in our people by encouraging career and personal development aligned with your own goals and ambitions. We make sure all staff have the tools, time and support they need to shape their own professional development. We want to help you to be the best at what you do and to allow you to grow with the company.
You’ll enjoy a competitive compensation package and great benefits such as:
- Flexible working
- Professional and personal development
- Private healthcare (including dental and optical cover)
- 25 days holiday (excl bank holidays)
- An opportunity for equity in the company
- Group life cover
- Physical and mental health well-being initiatives e.g. discounts on gym memberships, free fitness and nutrition programmes, and professional mental health support
- Cycle to work scheme
- Plus many more e.g. social events, games night, pub lunches, snack/treats etc - we make sure our remote workers are not left out!
We asked employees of Mind Foundry how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Mind Foundry
Gender diversity (male:female)