We’re looking to recruit a Procedure Technician to join our Veterinary Services team at Waltham Petcare Science Institute!
In this role you’ll follow our culture of care approach to perform trial-related procedures on dogs and cats under a Home Office license and legalities. In order to work in line with legislation, and our high standards, you’ll need to gain your Personal License Holder qualification. To achieve this, within 6 months of accepting the role, you’ll complete training and pass the required exam as outlined in the Animal Scientific Procedure Act and associated guidance notes.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Successfully perform trial-related procedures on our dog and cat population in a timely manner and to a high quality. The core procedure is primarily phlebotomy.
- Maintain your skill level determined by the Named Trainer and Competency Officer at Waltham.
- Work alongside our research team to ensure compliance with relevant legislative requirements.
- Work closely alongside our pet trainers to ensure that the animal population is fit for purpose to ensure the delivery of Waltham’s research program.
- Drive continuous refinement and improvement of our sampling methods.
At Waltham, we use science and data to advance our understanding of pets’ health and wellbeing. We believe research can be done in a caring way and our ambition is to improve pets’ quality of life by determining the drivers of health at each life stage, along with the risk factors associated with disease. As a global R&D site, the scientific findings we generate reach millions of pets worldwide through the Mars Petcare family of products and services. Through your role you’ll enable us to gain insights that support our data-based and laboratory studies, and combine to help us inform preventive pet health in support of our purpose: A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS
Waltham is located 5 miles from Melton Mowbray, and driving distance from Derby, Nottingham, Oakham, Grantham and Leicester. There is parking on site.
What are we looking for?
- GCSE or equivalent at Grade C and above in English, Maths and Science.
- We will prioritise candidates with a Bachelor (BSc) or Foundation (FdSc) degree in Veterinary Nursing.
- You are comfortable and ideally experienced at working with animals.
- A hard-working, reliable and motivated associate who wants to learn new skills & grow.
- Customer-focus (our customer being research) & driven, your excellent communication skills help you connect with others easily.
- You have excellent planning and prioritisation skills and can organise your workload.
- You're an enthusiastic team player, but also able to work independently.
- Be able to work flexibly with multiple stakeholders to evaluate a situation and problem solve to deliver timely results and to a high quality.
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 like-minded and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose-driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry-competitive salary and benefits package, including a company bonus.
Mars is a family-owned business with more than $35 billion in global sales. We produce some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, BEN’S ORIGINAL® and COCOAVIA®. Alongside our consumer brands, we proudly take care of half of the world’s pets through our nutrition, health and services businesses such as Banfield Pet Hospitals™, BluePearl®, Linnaeus, AniCura, VCA™ and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire our 130,000 Associates into taking action every day towards creating the world we want tomorrow.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
We asked employees of Mars UK how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Mars UK
4,000 In the UK
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Slough, Waltham, Castle Cary, Birstall, Plymouth