Petcare / R&D
Waltham on the Wolds, Leicestershire
Starting salary is £25,155 (inclusive of shift allowance), plus company bonus and benefits
Are you passionate about animal research and would you enjoy a hands-on role working with cats and dogs? Are you keen to join us in using science to drive our purpose: A Better World for Pets?
Our Pet Specialist roles play a key part in delivering our research program and every day, you get to work with our cats and dogs.
At Waltham Petcare Science Institute, our ambition is to improve pets’ quality of life by determining the drivers of health at each life stage, along with the risk factors associated with disease. As a global R&D site, the scientific findings we generate reach millions of pets worldwide through the Mars Petcare family of products and services.
In this role you will be responsible for the quality of the data we collect for our research studies which have a positive impact on the life of millions of pets.
You will also develop your knowledge and understanding of animal behaviour and training through working with our behaviour experts, alongside your own self-directed learning.
There is no need to be a dog or cat handler extraordinaire, as we will provide all necessary training when you start.
What would be your key responsibilities?
- You will deliver the tasks for our research studies including collecting data or biological samples from our pets (for example faeces or urine).
- Provide care for our dogs and cats through animal husbandry and training, using positive reinforcement.
- Working safely and to a high quality are our priorities. As part of this, you will be expected to actively identify and propose improvements to what we do and how we do it.
What are we looking for?
- Experience of planning your day-to-day tasks and working without supervision in a fast-paced environment as part of a team.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- You must be able to work weekends and bank holidays on a rota pattern.
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 diverse and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
We asked employees of Mars UK how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Mars UK
4,000 In the UK
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Slough, Waltham, Castle Cary, Birstall, Plymouth