The role is responsible for the global procurement of glass and metal categories for Mars Food Europe and Australia.
The main mission of this role is to leverage supplier capabilities to serve Mars Food’s strategic agenda, by leading the development & implementation of the categories sourcing strategy, including step changing current practices, portfolio simplification and value contribution on quality, productivity, innovation & sustainability.
The role acts as Mars spokesperson towards suppliers by applying best practice to supplier management and works next to Operations and Supply Chain teams to ensure the delivery of the materials on time in full. This role reports to Global Packaging Strategic Sourcing Lead Mars Food.
As a Strategic Sourcing Manager at Mars you will partner closely with the Senior Sourcing Manager and Buyers to drive development & implementation of sub-category buying strategies and co-pilot optimization of resources. You’ll manage both regional and global initiatives by leveraging supplier relationships, while also driving standardization and automation. Ownership of sub-category spend on a global basis will be key, as will heavy x-functional collaboration and close partnership with key stakeholders.
- Category Expertise: Analyses the category spend, cost drivers, market trends and supplier base to develop a sourcing strategy for the different packaging materials in scope supporting the business strategy. Identifies whether a regional or a global strategy is appropriate. Builds industry knowledge to develop cost models and execute the core category strategy that enables strong annual financial delivery of productivity and improvement of the TCO of the categories.
- Strategy Development: Partners to lead a cross functional team to develop and execute the category strategy using the MSSM methodology.
- Supplier Relationship Management: Manages supplier relationships with current and potential new suppliers. Performs supplier segmentation and evaluates them in terms of quality, service, and value leadership performance with the rest of the departments. Conducts suppliers business reviews and “Top to Top” when needed.
- Value Leadership: Identifies and drives cost saving initiatives to drive and implement 6% annual Productivity delivery.
- Knowledge Management: Participates in external benchmarking and industry forums to gain market intelligence, provides category input and price risk management to regional & global operating plans, and ensures regional & compliance with proper procedures, policies, systems and controls.
- Simplification: collects and analyzes data to identify insights and opportunities to reduce complexity, rationalize specifications, and have the right supplier base.
- Stakeholder management: works closely with internal stakeholders, ensuring the supplier strategy and timelines are aligned with business strategy and objectives Establishes and maintains relationship with key senior stakeholders in the regional and global forums (Markets, Commercial-R&D-Quality-Supply).
- Negotiation, Tendering & Contract management: Develops appropriate commercial models, tenders and negotiates complex deals managing price, supply, service, legal and intellectual property risks in line with business priorities
- Risk management & Supply Security: Forecasts price volatility, defines means to protect the business against the risks.
- Transformation: is an active part of the Global Commercial team identifying and x-fertilizing the region´s and x-segment best practices across the globe. Drives change management and new ways of working adoption.
- Sustainability: Works with the team and suppliers to meet the Mars Sustainability targets to be 100% reusable, recyclable or composable by using at least 30% recycled content within our packaging categories and reduce by 25% the use of virgin plastic
- Sourcing of Packaging Categories ~ $45M (potential to get additional responsibility).
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor or Master’s degree with the focus on business, supply chain, procurement, engineering or operations (preferred)
- 3-4+ years practical experience in strategic sourcing (procurement) is required
- Category management (sourcing, negotiation, supplier management) experience in procurement is a must
- Knowledge of manufacturing and operational processes
- Effective relationship management – internal and external
- Experience in adapting to changing market conditions and business dynamics
- Must have a demonstrated ability to lead and influence x-functional teams, collaborating with both internal and external, across various nationalities and backgrounds.
- Working experience in FMCG / Food industry is an advantage
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and project management skills
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Mars UK provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Mars UK is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Mars UK
4,000 In the UK
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Slough, Waltham, Castle Cary, Birstall, Plymouth