Mars Inc is in the midst of a significant Digital Transformation journey. Our ability to solve the most wicked problems across Mars in a User Centric way through Data & Analytics are fundamental to our Digital Engine and our transformation. Significant early success in this journey, and the introduction of many critical foundational capabilities means that we are looking to accelerate our ability to solve problems and ultimately drive value for Mars Inc. The opportunities are huge for Mars, and the opportunities for those working in this space are hugely exciting & rewarding. People Data & Analytics and Workforce planning have been identified as our biggest capability gaps for P&O and defined as one of the most critical enablers for P&O to deliver transformation ambition for the function. People Analytics help organizations to solve business problems with people related issues (e.g., where a sales organization should focus, understanding performance drivers for an organization, how the organization network operates and decisions get done, how do we motivate people in a defined context, how do we optimize our costs to hire, measure our productivity and how to drive it, effectiveness of our rewards incentives, etc.). It can also help to understand the efficiencies of our P&O
programs and spending and how can we Improve In a sustainable manner our Associates Experience through listening mechanisms and channels.
However, for People Analytics to have impact there needs to be the right resources in place to meet requirements and deliver outcomes that matter. Resources needed include the technology infrastructure to support analytics and well-managed high-quality data that is trusted by the organization. In combination with those resources, People Analytics needs a solid foundation. This is rooted in having strong governance with a clear purpose, standards, privacy, ethics and security. Additionally, a solid foundation will have robust data stewardship, effective sponsors and strong relationships with all stakeholders especially business leaders, associates and managers.
In our highly versatile team with a global remit, the focus for this Global P&O Data Program Lead is on Data Security. We recently deployed Workday and ServiceNow as our core platforms to deliver P&O services to Mars associates worldwide. This Lead is responsible for the functional design of Workday Security partnering closely with other functions to ensure an end-to-end cross-functional design, and fit-for-purpose outcomes are achieved. In addition, we recently deployed a secure data platform to enable advanced analytics use cases leveraging Data Lake subscription and services via Microsoft Azure. For operational reporting, we are leveraging Workday Reports and Workday PRISM. This Lead is responsible for developing and enforcing the functional design of the data security across these analytics and reporting platforms is aligned with the data governance established by the P&O Data Office.
This role can be based in: UK (Slough), Russia (Stupino or Moscow), USA (Chicago, New Jersey), Poland (Warsaw).
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field such as HR, Business Administration, IT, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of data management in HR
- 5+ years of HR information systems experience.
- 2+ years of data security and access management.
- 2+ years of data privacy / compliance / data protection experience.
- Strong functional knowledge of HR processes and data usage along the associate lifecycle.
- Highly analytical and skilled at problem-solving (error detection, root cause analysis, error correction options, recommending best option).
- HR systems expertise preferably in Workday, and ideally but not required in Workday Security. Experience in and knowledge of security in other HR systems will be considered.
- Demonstrates system/technical savvy with HR systems and reporting tools i.e., can quickly learn and becoming highly proficient in new systems and tools.
- Medium to high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrates a global mindset and develops approaches that can scale broadly across markets.
- Experience with data privacy, data handling and data classification.
- Experience with data protection laws and practices. Working knowledge of GDPR.
- Proven project and change management skills.
- Excellent communication skills with good written and spoken English.
- Strong relationship management and influencing skills.
What would be your key responsibilities?
Data Security: 80% (primary responsibility)
- Defines data access requirements, data access management and maintains a global data access matrix.
- Provides functional guidance and knowledge to implement and maintain security configurations in the P&O master data systems e.g., Workday, P&O Data Lake, ServiceNow (a future possibility).
- Partners closely with Subject Matter Experts (System Functional Leads and their teams, Security Administrators, Data Privacy, Legal, etc.) to establish and sustain an environment where Associate data is accessed appropriately and consistent with data privacy and security requirements.
- Deploys governance framework to ensure responsible P&O data sharing across Mars Inc. including non-P&O associates and data assets using Associate data.
- Ensures that all supporting documentation is controlled, current, and readily available for use.
Data Privacy: 10% (partners with other team members to achieve these responsibilities, may lead small to medium initiatives in this area)
- Serves as a subject matter expert under the guidance of the Legal Data Privacy team to inform and advise P&O on data protection and data privacy practices.
- Ensures systematic compliance audits are performed and findings are acted upon.
- Ensures risk management principles and processes are fully integrated in P&O data management processes.
- Partners with SMEs to ensure an accurate and up-to-date global, regional, and local P&O Data assets inventory.
- Partners with SMEs (Digital Technologies, Legal Data Privacy) to support the Mars Data Privacy Operational process and Governance Framework and serve as a functional lead in the deployment of supporting technologies.
Data Governance & Data Stewardship: 10% (secondary responsibilities, supporting other team members who have primary responsibility)
- Defines data standards for the specific data domain. Governance standards can include Structure, Policies, CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) operations, RACI or RAPID documentation, Processes, Key Performance Indicators on data quality, etc.
- Engages with data creators, owners, and consumers to maintain the fitness of the data to support a business process and to provide relevant information at the right time.
- Identifies and documents the usage and purpose of each master data element, with input from data owners. Monitors the usage of the data for compliance and alignment with purpose.
- Identifies and documents the link between data and related business functions that enables system workflows, integrations between systems, automations, etc., with input from data creators, owners and consumers.
- Defines and documents the conceptual, logical and physical data model of the P&O master data elements.
- Validates the configuration and rules for P&O data in Master Data Governance systems.
- Manages small to medium-sized projects to deploy processes that support or improve the people data lifecycle.
What can you expect from Mars?
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive compensation package including generous benefits (i.e., 401k, health, etc.)
- Commitment to our Purpose and our Five Principles.
- An environment where all Associates feel valued, supported and comfortable being themselves at work.
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
We asked employees of Mars UK how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Mars UK
4,000 In the UK
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Slough, Waltham, Castle Cary, Birstall, Plymouth