The role leads the Global SRA functional team within Mars Food to ensure the capacity and capability to complete compliance activities, monitoring external regulatory and scientific environment for changes (representing both risks and opportunities) and activate the necessary change in the business to remain safe and legal, to protect and provide freedom to operate for the segment in all regions where we operate.
This leader is responsible for business goals defined by Mars Food and Global SRA. This role co-leads the Public Policy Group for Food with Food Corporate Affairs Lead.
This People leader is responsible for leading - through great line management - a team of 4 regional SRA associates (total team of 6 associates) and the geographical scope includes: Europe, United Kingdom, USA, Canada & Australia. Special attention is needed for guiding South Africa and integration of Tasty Bite. Please note the job level for the role is still under confirmation.
What are we looking for?
1. Education & Professional Qualification
Minimum: MSc in Human Nutrition, Chemistry, Food Science, Engineering or related technical field.
Preferred: PhD or Master degree in Nutrition, Food Science, or related technical field, business administration
- Team management/leadership, experience building high performing teams. 5+ years' experience managing and leading large, complex teams.
- Advanced understanding of regulatory affairs, innovation and activity management.
- Proven track record of building collaborative, x-functional business relationships (e.g. leading to successful product development and new product introductions.
- Strong scientific credentials to drive the Scientific affairs agenda for the Food segment.
Minimum: Excellence in Regulatory and Scientific affairs in terms of articulating the essential arguments to be used by PA/CA in advocacy and external comms.
- High performing leader from all aspects (talent management, horizontal accountability with fellow Management Team members, model of target behavior for R&D and MARS FOOD)
- Excellent business, organizational and communication skills
- Uses experience base with intuition to chart the future in an ambiguous environment
- Visible leadership: Make the tough calls on quality, associates, budget, etc.
- Influence key leaders within the segment to support the global Food and Nutrition segment transformational growth agenda
- Broad internal and external network across the world
- Model Product Quality Excellence to the organization
3. International Travel required: approximately 5%
Note: May differ from the current job holder’s own skills and experience.
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Accountable for development and maintenance of an effective SRA organization covering regulatory compliance, regulatory affairs and scientific affairs for all relevant Mars Food segment markets.
- Drives the SRA transformational agenda for the Food segment related to development and deployment of integrated systems, processes and standards.
- Broad knowledge of scientific, regulatory and policy environment on a more global scale and ability to leverage this knowledge to drive a freedom to operate regulatory agenda; new opportunities; and provide effective SRA guidance to ensure sound internal policy development across Food segment markets.
- Co-Lead regional public policy group in partnership with Corporate Affairs, with quarterly reporting to leadership.
- Engage with external stakeholders (trade associations, professional associations) to lead business interest in specific Food segment scientific and regulatory landscape (sodium reduction, vegetables, free sugars, ultra-processed foods, Organic regulatory/certification rules, etc.).
- Lead people and talent agenda for SRA and represent in R&D leadership team / MDR as appropriate (create effective succession pipeline and development opportunities).
- Ensure compliance of product and pack with local regulations and QMP and that SRA is an effective and efficient enabler for driving business growth.
- SRA leadership on due diligence for acquisitions to raise SRA risks and opportunities then work with acquired business to develop a roadmap to optimize impact to the business.
- Fosters strong connectivity and collaboration with remaining Foods business units (e.g. Food Springs, etc.) to ensure SRA policies, advocacy positions, approach to compliance is in-place and minimizes risk to the business.
- Drives a proactive regulatory change management agenda for product and pack to ensure minimal business impact and costs.
- Participate in cross-functional project teams and with internal and external partners as appropriate to provide thought leadership to ensure that businesses are guided on a sound scientific and regulatory basis,
- Collaborates with R&D, Legal, Corporate Affairs, Marketing, Commercial functions to define appropriate SRA strategy and resourcing to ensure compliance and opportunity driven activities.
- Partner with legal counsel and other stakeholders to evaluate business opportunities and complete risk assessment.
- Lead discussions to balance business strategy with reputation and freedom to operate.
- Support and contribute to global Food segment strategy.
- Ensure effective cross-segment and regional SRA Community communication to align and create a “One Mars” approach on issues; align globally on key Scientific Affairs topics to ensure consistency.
- Ensures effective technical Community of Practices are in place to provide guidance, enhance ways of working and sharing of best practices for Food.
- Sit on relevant regional and global forums.
Context and Scope
- Impacts business results by supporting and or approving projects, products, services and or technologies.
- Develops strategies and has them executed guided by the business unit and function business plan
- Strong focus on negotiations to influence others internally and externally including very senior leaders
- Manages and influences multiple related teams usually requiring a change of leadership style.
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 diverse and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Mars UK provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Mars UK is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Mars UK
4,000 In the UK
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Slough, Waltham, Castle Cary, Birstall, Plymouth
More roles at Mars UK
- Supplier Quality Assurance Manager Dry / C&T
- FP&A Business Partner – Mars Global Services
- Global Mars Supply Excellence Manager - Food
- Corporate Affairs Director
- Manufacturing Shift Manager
- Learning Experience Manager
- Customer Service Specialist
- Vetsource International Operations Manager
- Maintenance Data Analyst
- Supply Chain Customer Care Coordinator
- Key Account/Customer Development Management LARs
- Engineer - Electrical
- Mars U Activity Manager
- Global Packaging Strategic Sourcing Manager
- Digital Technologies Portfolio Lead - Pet Nutrition
- Global Finance Vendor Director / Senior Manager
- FP&A Business Partner (Digital)
- Learning Experience Lead
- Sustainable Packaging Procurement coordinator
- European Product Developer (Dry, Care & Treats)
- Maintenance Planner
- Mechanical Engineer - Weekends
- Electrical Engineer - Weekends
- Factory Operator
- Director, Petcare Sustainability Performance Data & Analytics
- Digital Demand Lead - Sales / RGM - Mars Wrigley
- Lead Operator – Weekends
- Operator - Weekends
- Key Account/Customer Development Management (7-8 month cover)
- Manufacturing Team Leader
- European eCom Sales Support
- Senior Corporate Affairs Manager
- Data Platform Senior Leader - Mars Wrigley
- Packaging Sustainability Impacts Manager
- Consumer Care Functional Expert
- Mechanical Engineer
- Product Senior Analyst, Customer Relationship / Product Experience
- Executive Assistant
- Global Renewable Energy Program Manager
- Global Data Product Solutions Senior Lead - RTM/MM (F/M/X)
- Petcare Global Head of Talent and EI&D
- P&O Data and Talent Lead
- Packing Operator
- Data Governance Lead
- BDS Product Senior Analyst - SCP
- Portfolio Lead and Process Expert - Petcare
- Global Graphics Systems Manager
- Data Platform Architect
- Lead Operator
- European Amazon Director
- Operator - Night shift
- Global Portfolio Director – Mars Global Services
- User Experience Manager
- Maintenance Data Analyst
- Petcare data and analytics Platform product architect
- Veterinary Field Sales Representative - Yorkshire
- Associate Specialist Quality
- Customer Experience Professional
- Director- Communications & Stakeholder Engagement
- Senior Data Lead, People & Operations Analytics
- Supply Planner
- Customer Service Specialist - FTC
- Customer Development Manager - Convenience & High Street
- Internal Communications Manager - Learning (F/M/X)
- Reliability Technician
- VP Science & Technology
- PetCare Marketing Architect
- Controls Electrical Engineer
- Global Pet Nutrition External Communications Director
- Data Scientist Lead (F/M/X)
- Field Sales representative - Berkshire/Hampshire
- Digital Platform Architect (F/M/X)
- Finance Analytics Senior Data Scientist
- Global Data Product Lead - Finance (F/M/X)
- Digital Platform Infrastructure Architect : SAP & ERP (F/M/X)
- Senior Legal Counsel - Regulatory/Food Law (F/M/X)
- Mechanical Maintenance Technician (Days)
- Field Sales Representative - Bradford
- Field Sales Representative - Stoke on Trent
- Data Platform Engineer - SRE (F/M/X)
- Senior Data Solution Architect
- Multi Skilled Engineer
- Engineering Apprentice
- Operations Apprentice
- Global Principal Technologist/Scientist
- Veterinary Nurse Specialist
- FLT Operator
- HR Reporting Analyst/Workday (f/m/x)
- Junior IT Project Manager (F/M/X)
- Mechanical Operator
- Data Engineer
- Pet Unit Specialist
- Cloud Security Architect - Data Analytics Platform (W/M/X)
- International Benefits Specialist
- One Demand Data Analytics (ODDA) DevOps Engineer
- Procurement Excellence Lead
- Senior Data Scientist
- Data Solutions Director