The purpose of this role is to lead and coordinate data governance for all data across the Pet Nutrition division at Mars that includes brands such Pedigree, Whiskas, Sheba, Nutro, Cesar, Dreamies and Iams within the portfolio. The role will ensure the implementation of best practices in our business functions and ongoing compliance of agreed policies and procedures within our Petcare ecosystem. A key enabler of this will be to establish and lead a data steward community across the division.
What are we looking for?
Business know-how skill set: A successful Data Governance Lead needs to have a business acumen, they need to understand the business needs that inform how data should be stewarded and the business impacts that happen as a result of changes in data or as a result of not addressing data issues
Technical skill set: The Data Governance Lead is the go-to person for expertise and knowledge for all types of data usage and data management within Pet Nutrition, so they should be well-versed in the business uses of data, business terms, and the data elements related to them
Analysis skill set: Data issues can be very detailed and complex. A good Data Governance Lead will have the tenacity to tackle these issues and see them through to their conclusion, identifying and fixing the cause of the issue, whenever possible
Interpersonal skill set: The Data Governance Lead must be a good facilitator, communicator, negotiator, and enforcer. They must also have the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization and help evangelize the importance of data stewardship and governance across the Petcare Data Ecosystem
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Lead the coordination of data stewardship globally across all lines of business in Pet Nutrition including establishing the framework and forums across a connected data steward community, based upon a defined Petcare-wide approach
- Establish and improve data standards, definitions and controls, ensuring alignment with relevant segment, corporate or external requirements
- Monitor data quality across all domains; identifying critical data elements, developing monitoring processes and setting metrics and triggers to take corrective action when data is outside acceptable parameters
- Establish and oversee the implementation and improvement of maintenance processes to accommodate changing business needs and external requirements
- Drive the adoption of best data practices to adhere to relevant laws, regulations and agreed Mars standards, including through the governance of use cases
- Guide data asset owners to execute their end-to-end data ownership accountabilities, to ensure that the right controls and approvals are in place to support data access and maintain information security
- Recommend changes to enterprise data structures, field definitions, usage and data validation rules as part of the continuous improvement of data quality within the Petcare data ecosystem
- Ensure the creation and maintenance of up-to-date documentation, records and catalogues for our data products, assets and associated data owners
- Support the implementation of any changes to data privacy notices, policies, consent statements and associated technology solutions (e.g. preference centre) as required by business needs and regulations
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 diverse and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Mars UK provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Mars UK is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Mars UK
4,000 In the UK
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Slough, Waltham, Castle Cary, Birstall, Plymouth