Data and Analytics is foundational to our Petcare OGSM and will drive our transformation to a business that is powered by data. To deliver on this ambition set by the OGSM we require the very highest level of technical / engineering expertise and leadership within Global Petcare Data & Analytics.
The role will lead the technical design and implementation of data product and projects across Pet Nutrition globally, leading best practice and ensuring that all work is delivered appropriately. The data product areas include but are not limited to consumer insights, marketing and advertising, retail and demand, supply chain and scientific research.
A focus on optimising the productivity of this high performing team of creative, highly skilled individuals is required, as is the creation of a support framework to help to drive them towards continuous improvement.
What are we looking for?
- Data engineering/development experience (including hands-on previously), preferably in a cloud/big data environment
- Skilled in at least one of Python, PySpark, SQL or similar
- Leadership experience in data/insight functions or equivalent, delivering data projects and insight to inspire action and drive benefits
- Great inter-personal skills with the ability to communicate complex subjects in a clear and simple way and take senior leadership on the data journey
- Able to lead on highly complicated, performant data projects that deliver business benefits
- Experience leading development of full end to end data engineering projects
- Able to manage expectations in an ambiguous and fast-paced environment and deliver excellence
- Design of solutions that subscribe to robust and agile technical frameworks and standards
- Passion for working creatively with interesting, innovative data
- The capacity to manage, mentor and coach data engineers of varying levels of experience and to potentially grow the team as business need demands
Nice to Have
- Experience working with projects in Apache Spark, Databricks or similar
- Expert cloud platform knowledge, e.g. Azure
- Experience working within/with a large, multi-national organisation and across multiple time-zones
What will be your key responsibilities?
- Take technical ownership for the conception, design and implementation of Pet Nutrition data engineering projects globally, in the Petcare Data Platform
- Lead, design, engineer & orchestrate data products & pipelines in a cloud environment using a progressive tech stack
- Manage agile teams of contracted data engineers and build the long-term resourcing strategy for Pet Nutrition data engineering. Evolve engineers' skillsets and manage their personal development, driving best practices and innovation
- Take accountability & ownership for deploying technical frameworks, processes and best practices which allow engineers of all levels to build extensible, performant and maintainable solutions
- Manage data from across Pet Nutrition to produce valuable data assets on pets, pet-owners and beyond
- Manage cross-team and stakeholder relationships to drive collaboration and meet shared goals
- Promote and drive DevOps & CI/CD methodologies to work successfully within an agile environment
- Work closely with Petcare Segment engineering leaders and teams, collaborating to ensure technical synergy across divisions
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 like-minded and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
We asked employees of Mars UK how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Mars UK
4,000 In the UK
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Slough, Waltham, Castle Cary, Birstall, Plymouth