1–2 days/week at home
Core hours 11–3
Behaviour and Training Specialist
Waltham Petcare Scientist Institute, Leicestershire
The Trainer & Behaviour Specialist at WALTHAM® will provide proactive contributions to the pet-friendly research which is key in delivering scientific advancements to Mars Petcare brands. The job holder will apply the principles of cat and dog training to deliver new methods that will both improve quality and efficiency in the way pets are cared for and trained, both at WALTHAM and through the wider pet centre community within the business.
The role involves responsibility for identifying new practical approaches to husbandry care, training, and behaviour, this will involve building a strong external network in the field and developing a network of trainers and behaviourists in the business. The jobholder will be responsible for coordinating a range of pilot studies to assess value and relevance of new techniques with the aim of implementing and embedding them where appropriate
The job holder will work closely with the operational training team to ensure that new methods and continuous improvement initiatives are rolled out effectively. They will also help drive personal training development for the operations trainers by providing training resource, course, and workshops to upskill the individuals. The aim is that WALTHAM and the pet centre community is enabled with a diverse portfolio of training approaches that can be leveraged for both people and animals.
What are we looking for?
A BSc in animal welfare, animal behaviour or animal husbandry is essential.
Demonstrable experience in a research environment or animal-centred environment.
Theoretical training and behaviour knowledge is essential. How to apply and teach others.
Practical experience of developing and implementing training modification/management programmes for cats and dogs is essential.
Good demonstration to drive continuous improvements in the field of behaviour and training.
Great communication skills.
What will be your key responsibilities?
Investigate, evaluate, and introduce appropriate new ways of delivering husbandry care and training.
Develop and manage the plan to reduce, understand and predict individual animal training problems and issues, maximising the number of animals fit for purpose and minimising resource (training) demands.
Stay connected within the field of animal training and behaviour both within the internal pet centre community and external to Mars Petcare, to promote the sharing and utilisation of knowledge in training and behaviour.
To implement new methodologies through training operations trainer team working alongside the Behaviour & Training Lead
What can you expect from Mars?
Work with over 130,000 diverse and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Find out more about what Mars can offer you by visiting our Global Careers site
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Mars UK provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Mars UK is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Mars UK
4,000 In the UK
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Slough, Waltham, Castle Cary, Birstall, Plymouth
More roles at Mars UK
- Associate Scientist –New Material Compliance
- Global DCom Strategic Demand Director
- Global Director On Demand Delivery
- Global D-Com Enterprise Capabilities Director
- FP&A Business Partner – Mars Global Services
- Global Mars Supply Excellence Manager - Food
- Corporate Affairs Director
- Manufacturing Shift Manager
- Learning Experience Manager
- Customer Service Specialist
- Vetsource International Operations Manager
- Maintenance Data Analyst
- Supply Chain Customer Care Coordinator
- Key Account/Customer Development Management LARs
- Engineer - Electrical
- Mars U Activity Manager
- Global Packaging Strategic Sourcing Manager
- Digital Technologies Portfolio Lead - Pet Nutrition
- Global Finance Vendor Director / Senior Manager
- FP&A Business Partner (Digital)
- Learning Experience Lead
- Sustainable Packaging Procurement coordinator
- European Product Developer (Dry, Care & Treats)
- Maintenance Planner
- Mechanical Engineer - Weekends
- Electrical Engineer - Weekends
- Factory Operator
- Director, Petcare Sustainability Performance Data & Analytics
- Digital Demand Lead - Sales / RGM - Mars Wrigley
- Lead Operator – Weekends
- Operator - Weekends
- Key Account/Customer Development Management (7-8 month cover)
- Manufacturing Team Leader
- European eCom Sales Support
- Data Platform Senior Leader - Mars Wrigley
- Packaging Sustainability Impacts Manager
- Consumer Care Functional Expert
- Mechanical Engineer
- Product Senior Analyst, Customer Relationship / Product Experience
- Executive Assistant
- Global Renewable Energy Program Manager
- Global Data Product Solutions Senior Lead - RTM/MM (F/M/X)
- Petcare Global Head of Talent and EI&D
- P&O Data and Talent Lead
- Packing Operator
- Data Governance Lead
- BDS Product Senior Analyst - SCP
- Portfolio Lead and Process Expert - Petcare
- Global Graphics Systems Manager
- Data Platform Architect
- Lead Operator
- European Amazon Director
- Operator - Night shift
- Global Portfolio Director – Mars Global Services
- User Experience Manager
- Maintenance Data Analyst
- Petcare data and analytics Platform product architect
- Veterinary Field Sales Representative - Yorkshire
- Associate Specialist Quality
- Customer Experience Professional
- Director- Communications & Stakeholder Engagement
- Senior Data Lead, People & Operations Analytics
- Supply Planner
- Customer Service Specialist - 1 year contract
- Customer Development Manager - Convenience & High Street
- Internal Communications Manager - Learning (F/M/X)
- Reliability Technician
- VP Science & Technology
- PetCare Marketing Architect
- Controls Electrical Engineer
- Global Pet Nutrition External Communications Director
- Data Scientist Lead (F/M/X)
- Field Sales representative - Berkshire/Hampshire
- Digital Platform Architect (F/M/X)
- Finance Analytics Senior Data Scientist
- Global Data Product Lead - Finance (F/M/X)
- Digital Platform Infrastructure Architect : SAP & ERP (F/M/X)
- Senior Legal Counsel - Regulatory/Food Law (F/M/X)
- Mechanical Maintenance Technician (Days)
- Field Sales Representative - Bradford
- Field Sales Representative - Stoke on Trent
- Data Platform Engineer - SRE (F/M/X)
- Senior Data Solution Architect
- Multi Skilled Engineer
- Engineering Apprentice
- Operations Apprentice
- Global Principal Technologist/Scientist
- Veterinary Nurse Specialist
- FLT Operator
- HR Reporting Analyst/Workday (f/m/x)
- Junior IT Project Manager (F/M/X)
- Mechanical Operator
- Data Engineer
- Pet Unit Specialist
- Cloud Security Architect - Data Analytics Platform (W/M/X)
- International Benefits Specialist
- One Demand Data Analytics (ODDA) DevOps Engineer
- Procurement Excellence Lead
- Senior Data Scientist
- Data Solutions Director