Engineering Placement at LettUs Grow
In partnership with the University of Bristol.
LettUs Grow is a fast-paced and environmentally conscious start-up based in the heart of Bristol. We design technology for indoor farms with the mission to reduce the waste and carbon footprint of fresh produce by enabling anyone, anywhere, to grow nutritious produce near its point of consumption.
We’ve developed innovative software and hardware solutions that combine efficient aeroponic technology with data collection, automation and operational insights for the farmers and growers of the future. We are scaling quickly to meet the growing demand for this trailblazing technology.
With a team of open, caring and ambitious peers, working in a technically-challenging and impact-driven industry, this is somewhere to really make your mark on society and help feed the next generation.
An introduction to the role:
During your Engineering Placement at LettUs Grow, you will be a crucial member of our Product Development Team, focused on supporting our various engineering functions across our product ranges. You can expect exposure to mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, software and biological disciplines as part of the product development process.
The position is a full-time year long placement, starting in July of 2024. It’s based in central Bristol and will benefit from training and mentoring.
You can expect to be delegated responsibility at an early stage. This role is ideal for a driven, methodical and passionate University of Bristol engineering student who is keen to learn with an impact-led start-up.
We look forward to welcoming you to our diverse team of horticulturists, growers, engineers, marketeers and operational experts, to design and build the next generation of indoor farming technology together.
In line with the Real Living Wage.
Wednesday, November 29th, 2023.
- Provide technical engineering support to the wider team.
- Perform physical product testing with a methodical and structured approach to benchmark product behaviour and uncover fault states.
- Assist in building test rigs.
- Conduct engineering research.
- Manage own projects, experiments and budgets.
- Create 3D models, assemblies and drawings using CAD for internal and external use.
- Assist with crop growth trials.
- Work safely and responsibly in our engineering workshop & on customer sites.
- Travel to customer sites to build, test and maintain products in the field.
Who are you?
- You’re highly motivated, proactive and enjoy working independently.
- You’re cooperative, ambitious and driven.
- You’re tech savvy and enjoy experimenting with new technologies.
- You have excellent communication skills and you’re capable of relaying technical information to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- You want to have a placement in a fast paced environment, where you gain responsibility quickly and help shape the working environment.
- You’re an open, honest and helpful person. You treat people with respect.
- You’re an active listener and enjoy working with people from all walks of life.
- You’re passionate about sustainability, specifically our food system, and you care about the world around you.
What you need:
- To be a University of Bristol student on an engineering course.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Previous experience in practical applications, such as: soldering, building test rigs, working in a workshop, or similar.
- Specific interest in design of mechanical and/or electrical engineering systems.
- Literate in Python and/or another coding language.
- Knowledge of health and safety protocols when dealing with practical machinery.
- Fluency in a CAD package, preferably Solidworks.
Recruitment at LettUs Grow
LettUs Grow Ltd is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Living Wage Employer. We encourage individuals from all walks of life to apply for our positions.
At LettUs Grow we celebrate our differences and embrace what makes every human being unique.
Do you have any special requirements during the recruitment process? Just let us know. We’ll do our best to remove any barriers preventing you from applying for our opportunities!
Life at LettUs Grow
Everything we do is impact-driven. We want to make a substantial positive change, not just through our products, but also in how we operate as a team. We are ambitious, responsible and caring, and bring these core-values into everything we do.
You will be working from our open office where hotdesking is encouraged, within our world-class horticultural research facility and/or in our engineering workshops and production areas.
At LettUs Grow we offer:
- Flexible, remote working and work from anywhere policies.
- Enhanced holiday and sickness allowance, pension contribution and parental leave.
- An employee share options scheme.
- A dog friendly office.
- The day off for your birthday each year.
- Socials, biannual company parties (always with a community focus) and an annual company volunteer day.
- A monthly subscription to Heka with financial contributions towards gym memberships, music lessons, language classes and so much more.
- Optional subsidised vegetable box scheme from local organic farm The Community Farm.
- Training courses, resources and conferences that help you learn and grow in your role and for your future. Annual company wide equity, diversity and inclusion training.
- Cycle to work scheme and an office bike repair station.
- An open-plan office environment and cutting edge research facility complete with skill-sharing workshops and monthly communal potluck lunches.
- Coffee (from a local supplier!), tea, oat milk, breakfast cereals and fruit are on the house!
For a comprehensive list of our benefits package and to learn more about what it’s like to work at LettUs Grow - visit our careers page!
We asked employees of LettUs Grow how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at LettUs Grow
Gender diversity (male:female)