👋🏻 Hello, we're Laka
You might not have heard of us yet - that's OK, you've found us now - come and find out more about our journey...
Founded in 2017, Laka set out to transform insurance by connecting passionate cyclists to form a collective and protect their bikes for when things go wrong - a better model for insurance was born. For once people come first in insurance by fairly sharing the cost amongst each other. We exist to rewrite the rules of insurance so it’s something people stand with, not against.
Our model: Laka makes sure everything runs smoothly for The Collective - from exceptionally fast claims, splitting the cost fairly, guaranteeing a maximum price and all the other heavy lifting of a regulated insurance business. For that service, the collective pays Laka a fee relative to the claims in a month.
Take a closer look at exactly what this means and how it works here.
What have we been up to since then...?
In a nutshell, we've been very busy! Here are a few of the massive achievements we've had:
🚀 Raised an awesome Series A investment round of over $20m
🚀 Grown the team to over 60 Lakanauts, based across the UK, NL & France, enabling a choice-based, remote-first way of working
🚀 Launched Laka in lot of new European countries, essentially helping more people in more places!
🚀 Captured the UK and NL enthusiast cyclist market and expanded into commercial business partnering
🚀 Been awarded 'Best Cycle Insurance Provider' (for the past 6 years in a row - go us! 🥳)
🚀 Opened 3 shiny new offices in London, Bristol & Amsterdam to provide spaces for people to collaborate as they like
🚀 We've also achieved great reviews on Google Reviews and Glassdoor - go check us out!
Help us continue to change an outdated industry...
We’re growing real fast on our path to make the Laka collective model the industry standard and we’re expanding across segments, products, and territories. We’re looking for innovative, bold and brave minds to help us build the world’s best insurance company.
🤘🏼 The role
Reporting to Laka’s VP Insurance, the Pricing Lead will lead Laka’s actuarial / pricing function for the UK and Europe.
The pricing of our “collective” insurance products is what makes Laka unique and why our customers love us like no other insurance brand has been loved! In that context your role will be at the heart of what we do. You’ll be collaborating across every function at Laka who’ll rely on your expertise in delivering on a pricing strategy that informs and enables their work and our growth and performance.
You’ll join Laka’s Insurance team who are responsible for managing Laka’s insurance products, Laka’s Collective risk pools and Claims and CX functions. Whilst on day one you’ll be the only person performing a pricing role, you’ll be surrounded by colleagues with insurance expertise and beyond the Insurance Team, by colleagues with deep expertise in their own fields. In time, you will be expected to build an actuarial / pricing team.
What you'll be getting up to:
- Define and deliver Laka’s insurance pricing strategies in the UK and Europe
- Work with the wider Insurance team to establish an underwriting strategy aligned with Laka’s strategic objectives
- Take on the unique pricing challenges and leverage the opportunities that Laka’s Collective model presents
- Deliver “healthy” Collective risk pools that support Laka’s strategic objectives
- Joint responsibility with Laka’s finance team for balancing the interests of each of Laka’s customer segments, Laka’s own interests and those of our insurance partners
- Contribute to the delivery of effective processes inherently linked to and impactful on pricing in Laka’s Collective risk pools e.g. claims handling and subrogation
- Provide regular and ad hoc insights on the performance of Laka’s Collective risk pools
- Collaborate with Laka’s product and data teams to deliver insights to inform product development and iterations
👉🏻 This role will be a great fit if you:
- Bring 5-10 years of experience as a pricing analyst / actuary in the insurance industry
- Are motivated to challenge ‘the way things have always been done’ in insurance
- Have a deep understanding of data & risk, with the ability to look at these with a commercial lens
- Have the ability to share your impeccable technical knowledge with stakeholders and other teams in a simple and concise way
- Are comfortable being both strategic and operational - delivering what needs to be done right now, with one eye on the future of pricing at Laka
- Are comfortable with a fast-moving pace, and getting involved in a range of tasks and projects relating to your role - you’re excited about the contribution you can have in a high-growth scale up!
- Are inspired by Laka’s purpose and have a willingness to sink your teeth into the role
- Since we are active across Europe, speaking another language is highly desirable
Before you apply, please make sure that you currently have the right to work in the UK (we're really sorry, but we're not able to provide visa sponsorship for this role).
🌟 Our perks
What can you expect from working at Laka?
🏠 Remote-first way of working - you choose whether you work from home or our beautiful offices in London & Bristol (we have no minimum expectation of how many days you come in, although we'd love to see your friendly face!)
📈 Share options - we want you to be rewarded for Laka's success - everyone in the business is granted share options when they join
💰 Company bonus scheme - if the company hits its targets, you'll get a cash bonus annually
🌴 Annual leave - 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), plus an additional 3 days at Christmas, with the option to roll over up to 5 days per year
💶 Pension scheme - Laka pays 3% of your base salary into your pension to help you save for the future
💊 Private medical insurance - we’ll give you individual private cover, with the option to add partners & dependants too (at a small cost)
🖥 Home set-up allowance - in addition to letting you choose the kit you want (MacBook or Windows laptop, plus additional equipment like screens, keyboard, etc), we'll also give you a one-off budget of £200 to get anything else you want in order to make your homeworking environment a comfortable place to be
🍽 Weekly lunch on us - £15 every Wednesday to enjoy lunch on Laka - pop out locally with people in the office, or order-in at home, the choice is yours
💃 Company-wide events - we love getting everyone together as much as possible - expect regular events throughout the year, for team building, bonding, and general good old-fashioned fun!
🎳 Monthly socials - as if quarterly company events weren't enough, we also give each office a budget for a monthly social activity (think anything from low-key dinner & drinks through to adventure golf, paddleboarding, bowling, electric darts, trampoline parks and more!)
👚 Laka swag - we'll give you some lovely Laka kit to get you started, including a jumper & t-shirts so you can feel (& look) like part of the family
🚴 Laka credit - for all you cyclists, we'll give you £10 credit per month towards insuring your bike(s) with us - plus give you access to a bunch of cycling industry discounts
🧠 Mental health support - unlimited support via Spill, including one-to-one therapy sessions
🌈 Belonging at Laka
We're committed to building and sustaining a business that promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging - our customer collective is broad and inclusive, and we'd like our own people to be too. We're fast becoming a global community of people and we believe each person's unique qualities should be celebrated as they are a huge part of what makes Laka a great place to be. We'd love you to bring your authentic self to work every single day, no matter your age, ethnicity, religion, citizenship, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, caring responsibilities, neurodiversity, or anything else that makes you, you. If you’d like to request a reasonable adjustment as part of our application or assessment process, please let us know by emailing email@example.com.
We asked employees of Laka how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Laka
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Bristol & Amsterdam