A little flex time
Working at Ito World
We’re a mission-driven and diverse team of 90+ people from over 18 countries with a passion for technology and transportation. We’re interested in talented, curious people that share our mission and love data as much as we do.
What we do
At Ito World, we solve transportation challenges across the globe for millions of travellers every day, by delivering real-time transit data feeds to journey planners and a platform for transit authorities and operators. Our clients include Google, Apple, Microsoft and public sector organisations such as the Department of Transport and Transport for West Midlands.
We are looking for a talented Technologist to join our development team at Ito World. Bringing strong technical skills and experience defining, building and supporting complex software products, you’ll develop a deep understanding of our transit data systems. You’ll then use this in evolving the architecture and in providing technical direction in support of our developers as they deliver against our business goals.
You will need to be an excellent team-player who is able to contribute to and direct our highly-skilled development team. You will also have great attention to detail, and are passionate about delivering software products of the highest quality.
We are a UK remote-first company and a proudly accredited flexible working organisation. This means that our team members have the option of working remotely from anywhere in the UK of, if they wish, the option to work flexibly from our shared office in Cambridge.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the Head of Architecture, you will:
- Provide technical leadership, mentoring and training to a team of developers and ensure that the team has the tools and resources they need to be effective.
- Promote best practices among the team to improve quality and efficiency of feature delivery.
- Act as a role model for the team, supporting and guiding them through engineering challenges and decision making by using best practices.
- Work with the team to ensure that projects are completed on time, communicating progress with stakeholders.
- Work with product teams and customers to decompose complex requirements into simple subsystems for the team to implement.
- Show a passion for people, caring deeply about our engineering culture and the team’s wellbeing and development, doing all you can to continue making Ito World a great place to work.
- Help to address production support issues, minimising data loss and customer impact.
What you need to have
- Strong technical skills, with at least 5 years experience of Python, C++ or Java, and a solid familiarity with cloud based deployments.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- An ability to review and constructively feedback, helping others to learn.
- Understanding of all aspects of the software development lifecycle including knowledge of (and preferably experience with) agile methodologies.
- A strong grasp of software quality and how to ensure development practices lead to high-quality outcomes.
What would be desirable
- Exposure to the transit system or logistics problem domain such as routing techniques, transit planning, or scheduling.
What you need to be
- Organised with a good eye for detail
- Comfortable guiding teams through Agile/Scrum development methodologies
- Familiar with software development in a Linux environment, CI/CD Pipelines and container-based deployment paradigms
- Innovative and creative in your approach to software development
- Collaborative, and able to communicate effectively with other managers, developers, testers, product managers and customers.
- Passionate about software quality.
Professional development is an area that is very important to us at Ito World. We understand that access to training and education in the workplace improves prospects for promotion and can help open up future career paths.
We take the time to work with each member of the team and help them to take control of their personal development. This ranges from helping them feel confident when taking on new challenges, to working with them to plan their goals for the future.
Learning is supported to help our team members grow their skills, and we encourage sharing knowledge through a number of guilds, allowing for collaborative learning.
What we offer
- Flexible & remote working to suit all lifestyles and life stages.
- Enhanced pension and health insurance after 2 years' service.
- Life Assurance.
- 25 days + bank holidays as standard.
- Flexible Public Holidays - option to swap up to 5 UK public holidays to celebrate the festival of your choice. Choose an alternative day that fits your personal values, beliefs or celebration calendar better.
- New parents take a day off to celebrate your child’s first birthday.
- Enhanced parental leave policy.
- Wellbeing and employee assistance programme.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Free bike repair service for those that commute by bike.
- Free breakfast and snacks when working from the office.
- Regular team lunches and team socials.
Equity, diversity and inclusion at Ito World
At Ito World we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
By submitting this application you agree to Ito World retaining your personal data on a "legitimate interest" basis. For further details see our privacy statement.