Remote-first - with co-working space
A little flex time
As Staff Software Engineer you will be responsible for providing technical leadership across your squad. Solving complex and impactful problems, adoption of best practices, mentoring and guiding other engineers and ensuring consistency and high standards across the codebase.
POSITION: Full Time (min 80%)
LOCATION: Home based role with occasional trips to the office in London (4-8 times a year)
Healios is a leading digital healthcare company, bringing the whole family together to maximise long-term outcomes and wellbeing. At Healios our mission is to bring exceptional healthcare to anyone, anytime, anywhere. We reimagine the way children, young people, and adults access and receive mental health services by blending the best of technology with specialised clinical expertise and a personal human connection. At Healios, we transform mental health and neurodevelopmental services by providing quicker access to assessment, faster access to evidence-based psychological therapies, and earlier intervention to create a unique online experience – healthcare that fits around the lifestyle and circumstance of the family to get the right care when and where they need it.
We are an organisation that allows our staff to make a real difference not only in reshaping how mental health issues and emotional wellbeing services are delivered across the UK, but also in the lives of those individuals and families who need our support. Our teams are friendly, focused and passionate about making a positive difference to our patients and their families.
We encourage our teams to constantly push for better outcomes and we embrace change to assist in the development of the company. Everyone’s input and opinion matters to us and we work in an environment where this is encouraged.
- Provide technical leadership across your squad. This includes solving complex and impactful problems, adoption of best practices, mentoring and guiding other engineers and ensuring consistency and high standards across the codebase.
- Join a collaborative cross functional squad delivering high quality, well designed, software solutions which allow your squad to support our clinicians in delivering excellent care to young people and their families which enable a better quality of life.
- Lead and evangelise technical standards and methodologies which elevate the engineering excellence across multiple squads. You may work with adjacent squads and engineering leaders to identify common challenges across multiple squads and devise and deliver solutions to these.
- Join a startup where we are pioneers inspiring change in the industry with our pursuit of new approaches which enable better mental health in young people.
- This role is not intended to be a people/line manager, although we would like to encourage people that may be interested in doing that to apply as well.
- Collaboration and flexibility are essential elements of the work.
EXPECTATIONS FOR 3 MONTHS
- You have a strong grasp of your squad’s domain including the product, architecture and codebase. You have proactively identified and delivered improvements to these as well as our efficiency and effectiveness as a team.
- You have worked effectively as a part of the squad, building strong relationships and finding opportunities to learn, mentor and promote best practices in areas of your expertise. Your colleagues now count on you for your technical advice.
- You are leading conversation around improving our architecture to allow for future agility, growth in the team and autonomy for each squad. You are working closely with engineering leadership to plan these changes and contribute to other aspects of our technical strategy.
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE FOR YOU
- A collaborative culture where curiosity, creativity, experimentation and innovation are fostered
- A highly motivated and energetic team bringing a wide range of talents, experience and knowledge to solve complex challenges
- Autonomy to shape and design world leading clinical pathways that harness the power of combining technology with evidence-based interventions and a human touch
- Opportunities to grow and further develop your professional interests
- A culture that challenges the status quo in pursuit of providing exceptional healthcare and an unrivalled experience for the clients and families we support
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO HEALIOS
- Proven experience in building and maintaining scalable, performance and secure web applications
- The ability to ensure quality of the product and code shipped efficiently, effectively, and with a high cadence
- Professional experience in at least two programming languages and running applications in cloud-based infrastructure
- A desire to become part of a collaborative environment and share knowledge, software engineering best practices and learnings for the benefit of all
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills with proven success to influence without authority
- Flexibility to support our mission of bringing healthcare to anyone, anytime, anywhere
- A commitment to ethical practice and adherence to the highest standards of safeguarding of adults/children
- Our application is built in Ruby on Rails and is hosted in Heroku. Experience with our technology stack is preferred, but not a requirement. We are building out backend services with Python.
WHAT WE OFFER
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays and closure days)
- Birthday Holiday – one extra day per year
- Extra Leave – buy up to two weeks of additional leave
- Flexible working
- Enhanced Maternity package – which includes an additional benefit of a 3 month phased return to work paid to full salary
- Enhanced Sick Pay
- Professional Development Fund
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Work laptop
SAFER RECRUITMENT & PRE- EMPLOYMENT CHECKS
Healios ensures that supporting people to be safe is at the heart of our work and a key priority across all areas of the organisation, We will do our absolute best to keep the people that we support, safe from harm. This starts with our recruitment processes.
As part of our pre-employment checks, all employees of Healios will be asked to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Dependent on your role within the business, this will either be an Enhanced or Basic. A Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) check will be required. You will also be asked to provide two professional references as a minimum.