ABOUT THE ROLE
Our mission is to provide the best renting experience in the world and you'll play a key part in helping us achieve this by making sure our platform is best in class.
Reporting to our CTO, you will be responsible for a team of engineers working towards shared goals. You will be an experienced people manager with a strong track record of delivering technical projects through a combination of delegation and execution.
No two days are ever the same at Goodlord so what you’ll be up to will vary. The pace we move at also means priorities will change and you’ll need to be comfortable with this (we’ll support you!). But these are the things that will be core to your role and will keep you busy.
Management & Leadership (50-75%)
- Contribute to setting clear performance objectives for the team and at the individual level in order to ensure everyone has focus and clarity on what needs to be done
- Coach and mentor more junior engineers to help them develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to further their careers
- Help the team operate more effectively through workload management, system improvements or direct assistance.
- Line manage and support a team of 4-8 engineers, you will be looking after their career aspirations, professional development and wellbeing so you should be committed to being the best leader you can be
- Build out the team through leading recruitment for specific roles.
- Work directly with Product Managers, Designers, Engineers and other stakeholders to understand end user problems
- Evolve the application architecture to reduce technical debt and take advantage of current technological standards and best practices
- Build and maintain features in our core platform for managing tenancy life cycles
- Perform self defined tasks geared towards your personal and professional development
What we need from you:
- Extensive commercial experience in web application development
- Demonstrable commercial experience in building complex web applications using a modern technology stack (preferably Symfony and React)
- Experience with architecture and design taking into account both functional and non-functional requirements (such as security, scalability and performance)
- Experience working in a cross-functional agile team focused on delivering value to customers and end users.
- Line management experience (preferably in your most recent role)
- Recruitment experience including writing job descriptions and designing/conducting interviews
- Willingness to learn new technologies and engineering practices
- Additional experience with any for the following would be hugely beneficial: Micro Frontends, GraphQL, NodeJS, Functional Programming, E2E Test automation, AWS, DevOps.
You should apply if:
- You can demonstrate your experience in the above
- You have a passion for solving end user problems, big or small
- You want to create an environment for the successful and efficient delivery of high quality business solutions through a combination of leading and executing.
- You understand the challenges and rewards that come with working in a startup environment and look forward to taking them on
- What we’re doing here at Goodlord excites you!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE BEING A GOODLORDIAN:
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favorites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- 🚀 Grow with Goodlord: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too!
- 💕 Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- 🌴 Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge, and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- 🤗 Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- 🤩 Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable, and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
And we’re proud to have been recognised as a Great Place to work. No one likes a show off, but we can’t not shout about this. We’ve worked hard to make Goodlord great, and it’s important you know this isn’t just words on paper; Goodlordians have validated this which has led to us being accredited:
- 9th in Deloitte’s UK Technology Fast 50
- 10th in the UK's best places to work 2022
- 13th in the UK for great Large-sized workplaces for tech - 2022
- 18th in the UK for great Large-sized workplaces for women - 2022
- Verified by Flexa as a Flexified employer - Top 100 - 2022
- 23rd in Excellence in wellbeing Large-sized - 2022
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment. In fact one of our one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us, if there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come join us!
** Please note, as we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all Goodlordians are required to pass a thorough referencing check (including ID and DBS check) via Experian before joining the team. We will only ask for references at the point of making an offer **
We asked employees of Goodlord how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Goodlord
Gender diversity (male:female)
What employees are saying
"I feel I have a brilliant balance between working hard and still enjoying my own time, without feeling stressed or worrying about work."
Anonymous Development Manager at Goodlord