Senior PHP Engineer (UK Remote or London based)
About the team that drives our platform
We're a PropTech scale-up who have created a revolutionary, cloud-based software platform to bring together agents, landlords and tenants online and process all the paperwork electronically.
Our small, self-organising squads build the platforms and tools to help us achieve our mission. We're disrupting an industry, so there's plenty of thorny, real-world problems to solve on behalf of the agents, landlords and tenants that use our system.
If you want to develop new skills, there'll be plenty of opportunities: many of our current team joined as back-end or front-end developers, and are now working across the full stack.
We are keen advocates of agile delivery; we work closely with our stakeholders and use Kanban to iterate quickly on customer feedback. You'll be learning every day, from the team around you and senior members of the team who you'll have daily exposure to.
Visit our careers in tech page to find out more about the team and the way we work.
The tech we use
Goodlord’s single-page application speaks to an API composed of multiple PHP (7.4/8.0) services. These services integrate with third party APIs via HTTP.
Our UI is a mixture of jQuery and React (using Typescript) and we’re actively pushing to have everything in React.
The app and all services are deployed in Docker containers running in a Kubernetes cluster on AWS.
We use Github for version control and CircleCI for building, testing and deploying code to the staging and production environments. All data is persisted in a MYSQL (AWS Aurora) database and we use Elasticsearch for full-text searching.
About the Role
Goodlord’s mission is to provide the best renting experience in the world and we’re on the hunt for a Senior PHP Engineer.
At Goodlord we want everyone to bring their whole selves to work so we offer quite a lot of flexibility in order for you to find a good work-life balance
No two days are ever the same at Goodlord so what you’ll be up to will vary. The pace we move at also means priorities will change and you’ll need to be comfortable with this (we’ll support you!). But these are the things that will be core to your role and will keep you busy.
The day to day stuff:
- Work with Product Managers, business stakeholders and other Engineers to understand end user problems and implement appropriate solutions
- Migrate legacy implementations of the code base to use more modern approaches
- Address issues raised within the application that prevent users from achieving their goals
- Identify bottlenecks in the development process and suggest/implement improvements
- Continuously improve the code base to make it easier to understand and more fun to work with
- Mentoring and coaching other members of the team
- Perform self defined tasks geared towards your personal and professional development
You should apply if you have:
- Willingness to learn new technologies and engineering practices
- Demonstrable commercial experience in building complex web applications using Symfony, Laravel or other modern web framework
- Ability to write good, clean and well-tested code
- Experience working in an agile team with a delivery focus and a keen eye on what the customer needs.
- Any experience with the following would be a bonus: Typescript, React, Functional Programming, Test automation, AWS, DevOps. We're also happy for you to learn these on the job.
It would also be great if you had:
- You want to work in an environment where your input is valued and you can make a real impact
- You’re a pragmatic craftsperson who strives to find the right balance between quality and delivery
- You have a passion for solving end user problems, big or small
- You understand the challenges and rewards that come with working in a startup environment and look forward to taking them on
We started Goodlord because we wanted to make renting simple and transparent for everyone involved: the agent, landlord and tenant. We knew generation rent would lead to more tenants, with higher digital expectations and we were confident we could provide a solution.
And we did. Like all high growth companies it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with over 2500 happy customers and exciting new products. We have ambitious plans but with William Reeve at the helm alongside co-founder Tom Mundy and a brilliant team of over 200 talented Goodlordians we are confident we’ll achieve these.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
And we’re proud to have been recognised as a Great Place to work. No one likes a show off, but we can’t not shout about this. We’ve worked hard to make Goodlord great, and it’s important you know this isn’t just words on paper; Goodlordians have validated this
which has led to us being accredited:
- 9th in Deloitte’s UK Technology Fast 50
- 10th in the UK's best places to work 2022
- 13th in the UK for great Large-sized workplaces for tech - 2022
- 18th in the UK for great Large-sized workplaces for women - 2022
- Verified by Flexa as a Flexified employer - Top 100 - 2022
- 23rd in Excellence in wellbeing Large-sized - 2022
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE BEING A GOODLORDIAN:
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
- 🚀 Grow with Goodlord: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too!
- 💕 Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
- 🌴 Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge, and reboot. We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
- 🤗 Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
- 🤩 Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable, and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment. In fact one of our core values is Bring our whole selves to work which is really important to us. If there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come and join us!
** Please note, as we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all Goodlordians are required to pass a thorough referencing check via Experian before joining the team. We will only ask for references at the point of making an offer **
We asked employees of Goodlord how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Goodlord
Gender diversity (male:female)
What employees are saying
"I feel I have a brilliant balance between working hard and still enjoying my own time, without feeling stressed or worrying about work."
Anonymous Development Manager at Goodlord