📍 Hybrid working as standard - 2-3 days a week in the office (you can choose either our London or Sheffield office as your base location, whichever is closest) the 2-3 other days are up to you - remote/wfh, office, the choice is yours
Please note that whilst this role is a 'Head of' role, appx 80% of your time will be hands on and 20% of your time will be hands off (leadership & management), looking after a team of 2 with scope to add a further 1-2 to headcount in next financial year.
About the Role
Goodlord’s mission is to provide the best renting experience in the world and we’re on the hunt for a Head of Data to help us achieve this.
We are looking for someone who really understands the importance of data, geeks out on data and is not afraid to show it, who will help drive and embed a data-driven culture within goodlord.
This brand new role (reporting to the CFO) will shape our approach to Data within goodlord, with a key focus initially being to create one source of truth for our internal data. You will create and execute a data strategy, deliver innovative models to drive informed decisions that will guide us to the next level, hiring the right skills to support that effort.
Your primary stakeholders will be internal goodlord teams, and we will be looking to you to identify, monitor and realise the data needs of goodlord, lead on innovation from a data perspective and create best practices to follow. Your customers will expect a strong level of commercial recommendation based on the information that you produce.
Currently the team is small, so you should be happy to roll your sleeves up and get stuck in but high up on your agenda will be growing this function.
The day to day stuff:
No two days are ever the same at goodlord so what you’ll be up to will vary. The pace we move at also means priorities will change and you’ll need to be resilient to and comfortable with this (we’ll support you!). But these are the things that will be core to your role and will keep you busy.
- Working with Senior Leadership to drive a data- driven decision-making culture to harness the power of our data
- Creating end to end data solutions to provide opportunities for growth/scaling of the business
- Ensuring that the data engineering environment is robust and fit for purpose
- Leading the efforts to deliver data-driven insights and solutions
- Defining and implementing best practice, essential processes, removing barriers, and sourcing data from all areas of the organisation in support of critical business challenges and/or decisions.
- Conceiving, planning and prioritising data projects
- Aligning data projects with organisational goals
- Developing self service data tools and automated reports for internal teams.
- Being hands on … while this is a leadership role, it is a small team and the Head of Data will also be delivering on parts of the project
You should apply if you have:-
- Expert knowledge of managing business data and analysis insights
- Significant experience leading analytical projects in a commercial context
- Experience of a variety of data stacks and organisational structures
- Experience of efficient, robust ETL and data architecture design & management
- Experience of designing data needs at project design phase
- An analytical mind balanced with exceptional commercial awareness with a track record of delivery of strategically important insight
- Experience with Cloud data architecture (we like Google & BigQuery) and user analytics tracking (eg. GA, Mixpanel).
- Built, developed and maintained complex models
- An exceptional ability to present and deliver complex insight to a range of audiences (experience with BigQuery & Tableau advantageous)
So as you can see we are after someone who has strong experience of, data engineering, analytics, insight and visualisations, or of managing the same. In addition, we will in time have a need for data science skills.
And it would be great if:
- Have experience applying quantitative methods to real-world problems
- Test -and-learn methodologies and measuring ROI
- Python, and libraries like scipy, scikit-learn, pandas
- Relational databases such as MySql or PostgreSQL (experience with NoSQL databases, Redshift or BigQuery is a plus)
- Modern data-processing frameworks like Hadoop/mapreduce, Scala, Dataflow or equivalent
- AI and machine learning technologies
- You know what it’s like to work in a young company and love the vibe (and sometimes chaos!)
We started Goodlord because we wanted to make renting simple and transparent for everyone involved: the agent, landlord and tenant. We knew Generation Rent would lead to more tenants, with higher digital expectations and we were confident we could provide a solution.
And we did. Like all startups it’s been a bit of a roller coaster journey, but we’re now stronger than ever, with around 3000 letting agents using the platform, exciting and varied products and 320 Goodlordians.
Our purpose - building the best rental experience in the world - is clear to everyone, and so too is the fact that people are central to achieving that mission; we have worked hard to make Goodlord great so we’re proud to have been ranked 10th in the UK's Best Workplaces™ 2022 - Large category.
Not only that but the following too:-
- 23rd Wellbeing Great Place to Work in UK Large- sized businesses 2022
- 18th best workplace for Women in UK large-sized businesses 2022
- 13th best workplaces for Tech in UK large-sized businesses 2022
- Excellence in wellbeing for our dedication to goodlordian’s wellbeing
- Verified by Flexa as a Flexified employer - Top 100 for 2022
As if that were not exciting enough we have backing from some of the best respected technology investors out there. Our shareholders are backing us to be ambitious and we need to attract top talent to help us achieve our mission.
Our values guide our decisions, the way we work, our culture and the people we ask to join the team. We work hard, have fun and support each other. We’re not afraid to make mistakes (we’d never learn if we didn’t) and we’re always looking to challenge ourselves. Our style is collaboration based on honesty, friendship and respect.
It’s an exciting time here at Goodlord. If you’re inspired by what we’re doing, are up for a challenge and share our values, we’d love to hear from you.
Why you'll love being a Goodlordian
Aside from the role, the people, our culture and our mission, we have some other things that make Goodlord a pretty awesome place to be. Here’s a few favourites amongst Goodlordians (check out our careers page for more info).
🚀 Grow with Goodlord: your development is important to us. Have a goal in mind? Share it with us and you can use your £1000 annual development fund to support it. We guarantee you’ll learn loads and develop both personally and professionally at Goodlord too!
💕 Your well-being matters: bi-weekly coaching with Sanctus to provide Goodlordians with a safe place to talk and support your mental health
🌴 Unlimited holiday and flexible time off: we encourage Goodlordians to make use of their unlimited time off to enjoy the world, recharge and reboot (subject to passing probation and fair usage principles). We also offer time off for volunteering and training, so you can give back to the community and pursue your passions
🤗 Supporting your family: we offer Goodlordians of all genders a generous 3 months of fully-paid time off to look after their new arrivals
🤩 Our team: we’re an energetic, sociable, and talented bunch who are super passionate about what we do and determined to make a difference. We’re all in it together, we learn from each other, we’re genuine and we don’t have time for politics
Goodlord wants applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life, we are an equal opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive environment.
In fact one of our core values is “Bring our whole selves to work” which is really important to us. If there is anything you need to participate fully in the interview process we'd like to hear about that too, please just include it in your application. Come and join us!
** Please note, as we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, all Goodlordians are required to pass a thorough referencing check (including ID and DBS check) via Experian before joining the team. We will only ask for references at the point of making an offer **
No Agencies Please - we are recruiting this role directly and we have trusted partners we would turn to should we need support.
Unfortunately Sponsorship is not available for this role
We asked employees of Goodlord how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Goodlord
Gender diversity (male:female)