FitXR is a fitness technology company working at the cutting edge of VR and MR. We’re a funded scale-up on a mission to impact more lives than any other fitness company, and build a healthier world for everyone.
We started life in 2016 in a garden shed in the UK. Today, we’re building FitXR, one of the top-downloaded apps on the Meta Quest store. We’ve raised close to $40m from top investors such as Maveron, Hiro, BoostVC and TriplePoint.
We’re a remote-first team of just under 100 people from across the US, UK, and Spain, and we’re committed to making it simpler and more enjoyable for people to get moving. We believe that anybody can fall in love with fitness and make movement part of their life.
Our team is distributed across Europe and the US. We’re guided by our Principles of Play: eight core beliefs about how we treat each other and our community. We make space for every voice, believe in the importance of a learner’s mindset, and prioritize team success over individual glory.
The FitXR app contains a growing range of fitness studios, where members can choose from box workouts with world-class trainers like Olympian Nicola Adams, powerful HIIT workouts, and immersive dance classes. While nothing compares to trying it yourself, you can watch a trailer here.
FitXR is available on Meta Quest 2 and has been downloaded by over a million people worldwide. Featured in Forbes, Empire, T3, Washington Post, Men's Health, GQ and more. In 2022, FitXR ranked 6th in The Information’s 50 Most Promising Startups.
As Design Manager, you will lead the team responsible for designing experiences that push the boundaries of what’s possible in AR/VR and mobile experiences. This is a role for a people-focused manager who loves craft and can roll up their sleeves to support their team. You'll think equally about how to grow designers in your team, the creative direction of our product, and the process we use to make outstanding products.
The ideal person will have a mixture of experience working in both gaming and consumer apps, with a passion for growing and leading a remote-first team of Product Designers.
What you’ll do 👀
- Coach and mentor designers. You will attract design talent to the team, hire, grow, retain and promote Product Designers.
- Provide creative vision and direction to your team. You will think strategically and always keep the user's needs in mind.
- Partner with 3D Artists, Product Managers and Engineers to make sure we continue to hold the bar high in our product experiences.
- Help establish and improve our product design and product thinking pipeline.
- Advocate and promote user-centred design methodologies.
- Represent your team and your teams’ work to executives and leaders.
- Perform within production schedules whilst maintaining high-quality work.
- Help deliver prototypes and R&D that ultimately validates design thinking and aesthetics.
You should apply if ✅
- Experience of leading and inspiring globally located product design teams as well as being a passionate designer yourself!
- Strong strategic and UX systems thinking
- An outstanding aesthetic sense and excellent communication of design standards
- A sense for process that promotes clarity, predictability, and accountability
- A strong portfolio that showcases thoughtful, high-craft work as a creative director and designer yourself
- Excellent story-telling and presentation skills
- Understanding and mastery of the latest design and collaboration tools
- Good communication and attitude towards feedback and collaboration.
- Proven ability to balance working across projects to define, manage and prioritise work effectively.
- Solid understanding of UI/UX production in Unity
Bonus Points 🚀
- Ability to implement data-driven holistic solutions for the product.
- Experience balancing product, development and user-driven objectives to contribute to the product strategy
- Exceptional ability to optimise projects without compromising visual quality
- Experience working in a Scrum environment and on multidisciplinary teams
- Previous AR/VR experience is a plus.
What you’ll be measured on 📈
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a distributed multidisciplinary Product Design team and make sure standards are met.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, to find best solutions and get buy-in from key stakeholders and cross-functional partners to achieve business impact.
- Ability to take a step back and think about the larger picture while leading teams through the ambiguity and organisational shifts of a start-up spearheading AR/VR adoption.
- Mastery and experience working across multiple efforts and products
- Excellent proficiency in core Product Design elements such as user journeys, layout, typography and iconography.
Our mission is to make fitness fun and accessible for everyone. To build inclusive products, we need to build an inclusive team. Please know that this list is indicative and that we would still love to hear from you even if you feel you only are a 75% match. Skills can be learnt, diversity cannot. We promote a diverse and inclusive culture at FitXR. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer visas of any kind at this time!
Our interview process takes place on Google Hangouts and tends to consist of the following stages:
- Initial screen (talent team)
- Hiring Manager
- Design challenge
- Cross-functional team interview
- Final interview
Please let us know if you require any accommodations for the interview process, and we’ll do our best to provide assistance.
Our benefits are hosted on Ben
which gives you flexibility to make choices that work for you.
🌎 Fully remote: your life, your way of working
🏝 Unlimited annual leave
💰 Competitive salary with half year and end of year reviews
📈 Stock options
🌱 £800 per annum learning budget
🧘 £600 per annum wellbeing budget
🏡 £400 work from home budget
🤗 Bi-annual company retreat & regular get togethers
💻 Quest 2 VR headset
⛑ Private Health Insurance (optional)
🚴♂️ Annual travel pass & cycle to work scheme
👶 12 weeks full paid family leave (this include bereavement, adoption, paternity, maternity)
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options FitXR provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure FitXR is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at FitXR
Gender diversity (male:female:non-binary)