Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
Find out more about life at Elvie here.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products.
About the role:
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
You have considerable experience within the Product Development industry and have gained a broad range of experiences across the product lifecycle. You understand the needs and challenges of Quality, Customer Care, Manufacturing and/or Operations teams because working with such groups represents part of your professional experience. You have experience with a variety of mass production processes, gained through taking concept designs through to production.
You thrive at resolving intricate product problems that are constrained by multiple factors, breaking them down into logical steps that form a clear path. You are keen to understand issues at a fundamental level, and enjoy seeing projects through from initiation to completion. You strive to empathise with the end user, and to put their needs at the centre of what you do. You are mechanically inclined with an eye for elegant, usable products and are enthused by the idea of working in a company revolutionizing product markets.
You enjoy working hands-on and have plenty of experience hacking together proof-of-concept prototypes and test fixtures. If you are someone who enjoys taking responsibility for driving design enhancements, and thrives on getting their sleeves rolled up to deliver change through to production, we would love to hear from you.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our Bristol office & working remotely
Employment type: Permanent (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
- Solve real world problems by identifying and delivering product issue fixes and enhancements.
- Use your experience and instinct to provide leadership at all stages of the design change process from root cause investigation, project scoping, basic concepts and proof of principle rigs through to production representative prototypes, engineering builds, mass production, ECO creation, cut in and post-market surveillance.
- Apply your knowledge of production technology, materials and finishes to challenge constraints and push boundaries of current designs.
- Conduct design reviews and offer mentorship and guidance to less experienced team members.
- Develop and review product documentation.
- Collaborate with a range of teams to develop game-changing products.
What we are looking for:
- Degree in Product Design Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- Experience with medical, electro-mechanical, wearable and/or smart product development.
- A level of experience you might achieve after considerable time in the product development industry.
- Proven track record of solving complex product problems through root cause analysis, whilst also understanding the fundamental principles of the issue at hand.
- Appreciation for all stakeholders involved in product development.
- Demonstrable ability to empathise with end users to resolve conflicting technical and human factors.
- Experience of working with contract manufacturers
- Experience managing 3D CAD (preferred Solidworks experience).
- Proven ability to manage medium sized assemblies.
- Hands-on experience of rapid and manual prototyping.
- Experience of DFM tools such as FMEA, Tolerance Analysis, GD&T.
- Effectively be able to work across multi-disciplinary teams with multiple decision makers.
- You are a self starter with great visual and excellent verbal communication skills.
- Experience with product change control.
- Practical experience of performing data analysis on large data sets.
- Experience of working in an ISO 13485 environment.
- Understanding of best practices for product testing.
- Comfortable with a rapidly changing set of priorities.
- General knowledge or experience with Six Sigma tools and related manufacturing methodologies.
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Currently trialling a 9 day fortnight for all employees until March 2023
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity & adoption (16 weeks at full pay, then 8 weeks paid at 75% followed by 15 weeks at SMP rate.), paternity/partner (6 weeks at full pay to take at any point during the first year of your child’s life), shared parental leave
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 20-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30-45 minute video call with the hiring manager
- 45-60 minute video interview with the team (some positions may require you to complete a task/presentation)
- For some positions, there may be an additional interview with one of senior our leadership team
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: email@example.com or 0203 884 7223.
We asked employees of Elvie how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Elvie
Gender diversity (male:female)
Bristol, London, US Remote