The position: Senior Design Engineer
Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
Find out more about life at Elvie here.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products
About the role:
As a Senior Design Engineer your role sits within the Product Delivery team, who are responsible for delivering Elvie’s game changing products to empower women. Reporting to a Design Manager or Principal Design Engineer, you will be responsible for end-to-end delivery of an assembly, system, technology and/or small product, so we’re looking for someone with broad product development experience. You will develop and iterate ideas and concepts, prototyping, building rigs, testing and analysing results to realise innovative product solutions. Working cross-functionally with stakeholders, e.g. Product Managers, Operations and Quality teams, you will ensure your product solutions meet the user needs and product requirements
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
- You have been working within the Product Development industry for 5+ years, perhaps within a few different roles or organisations, and have gained a range of experience across product types.
- You have experience and applied knowledge of the product development process, having been involved in the delivery of multiple products.
- You have a passion for solving problems and designing products that have a real impact for the user.
- Mechanically inclined with an eye for elegant, usable products you are enthused by the idea of working in a company revolutionising the femtech market.
- You understand the importance of clear product definition during the design process but are able to appreciate the spark of inspiration.
- You are practical, hands-on and comfortable building and modifying rigs in a workshop.
- You are able to understand the needs and challenges of the cross-functional teams to successfully bring products to market; from R&D and Product Development, through Operations, Manufacturing and Quality.
- You are organised and logical and can form a clear path when faced with complex and/or technical problems.
- You are creative and enthusiastic about design engineering, gaining enjoyment through solving technical problems and delivering cutting edge products as a team.
- You identify technical challenges as they arise and you provide thought through solutions in solving them
- You’re unafraid to challenge the status quo if you can see an improvement to a process or solution
Location: #LI-Hybrid Hybrid working; a mix of working from our Bristol office & working remotely
Employment type: Permanent (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
- Working in a Product Design Team; generate novel concepts and technologies for our next generation of products.
- Own the development of an assembly, system, technology and/or small product.
- Define elegant but robust solutions to satisfy the product's functional requirements.
- Apply sound engineering principles to technical problems.
- Communicate ideas quickly and effectively using a combination of sketching, CAD layouts, 3D models and working prototypes to evaluate potential solutions.
- Apply your knowledge of production technology, materials and finishes to challenge constraints and push boundaries of current designs.
- Managing external technology providers to source appropriate solutions and to reduce our time to market.
- Conduct and contribute to design reviews, offering mentorship and guidance to less experienced team members.
- Develop and complete verification and validation test plans
- Generate and review design and engineering documentation.
- Be naturally curious and excited to find better solutions to everyday problems.
- Demonstrate integrity and courage in the way you work.
- Collaborate with a range of teams to develop game-changing products with real world impact.
What we are looking for:
- Degree in Product Design Engineering or similar.
- Ideally product development industry experience.
- Experience with consumer electronic, electro-mechanical, wearable and/or connected product development.
- An appreciation for all stakeholders involved in new product development.
- Experience managing 3D CAD (preferred Solidworks experience).
- Proven ability to deliver medium sized assemblies.
- Experience of rapid and manual prototyping.
- Experience of product development tools such as FMEA, Tolerance Analysis, GD&T.
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacture and and Assembly
- Effectively be able to work across teams with different stakeholders.
- You are a self starter with great visual and excellent verbal communication skills
- The ability to empathise with users.
- Experience in liaising with Contract Manufacturers (or a willingness to learn - some international travel may be required).
- Experience with high volume manufacturing having spent some time in or around factories and production lines.
- Experience with wearable and/or connected product development.
- Experience of electronic system design for prototyping e.g. Arduino
- Experience of general purpose coding language e.g. Python.
- Experience of implementing system engineering methodologies on projects.
- And, in an ideal world, experience of designing medical devices and working in an ISO 13485 environment.
The benefits you’ll get:
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- 9 Day Fortnight - for our full time employees we work 9 days every Fortnight with every other Friday as a non-working day for you to spend as you wish!
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity & adoption (16 weeks at full pay, then 8 weeks paid at 75% followed by 15 weeks at SMP rate.), paternity/partner (6 weeks at full pay to take at any point during the first year of your child’s life), shared parental leave
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you. We do often receive a large number of applications for our roles, please don’t let visibility of this deter you from applying. We review and aim to respond to every application.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but it typically looks like this:
- 30-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 30- minute video call with the hiring manager
- 90 minute video interview with the team (including a technical task)
This is an exciting time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humour helps too. 😉
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: email@example.com or 0203 884 7223.
We asked employees of Elvie how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at Elvie
Gender diversity (male:female)
61% Female / 39% Male
Bristol, London, US Remote