Life at Elvie; Meaningful work, Exceptional People
We're Elvie. We create smart products, new solutions, and a fair few taboo-busting conversations while we’re at it. Founded by Tania Boler in 2013, we develop extraordinary innovations designed to improve women’s lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area that requires us to solve problems that no one else has ever tackled before.
At Elvie, you’ll be surrounded by people who want to improve everything and everyone around them. People who are passionate about our mission. People who are driven to solve problems and constantly consider the best ways to improve the health and wellbeing of women.
Find out more about life at Elvie here.
We're deeply proud of our values, which are intrinsic to the way we behave every day. We take them seriously because we want our culture to thrive:
- We make an impact: We’re mission-driven and not afraid to break boundaries. We relentlessly focus on going the extra mile to solve problems.
- We’re fearless innovators: We are passionate, curious, and data-driven. We continuously embrace change and innovation.
- We’re in it together: we fail and learn fast — always as one team — and have fun along the way. We stay authentic and embrace our differences.
Did you know?
In some regions our amazing products are considered to be medical devices. This means we maintain our Medical Device quality management system in compliance with ISO 13485:2016, to support the development of our groundbreaking products
About the role:
Okay, we’ve waffled long enough. So let’s get to the good bit: You.
As People Lead your role sits within the People Team. Being a People Lead at Elvie means no two days are likely to be the same. We are a fast-paced business with 180 people based across London, Bristol, US, and the EU. Our People Team aims to build an empowering and enriching place to work for everyone so that we can continue to grow and deliver our mission in the most fun, inclusive and impactful way possible.
Our work focuses on ensuring we live our values, holding on to the things that made Elvie successful as we grow. We take a progressive and human first approach - we believe traditional HR processes can reinforce the wrong things; our culture is built on trust, autonomy and flexibility so we treat people as adults and build strong collaborative working relationships.
As a People Lead at Elvie, you will partner leaders and managers at a strategic level, helping them consider everything from how they deliver high performance, partnering on organisational design, supporting and developing teams and ways of working, coaching leaders and dealing with any employee relations issues that crop up. You will also be charged with leading on different elements of our People Strategy which focus on building the Elvie spirit, improving the people experience, and ensuring we are building for sustainable growth.
Location: Hybrid working; a mix of working from our London & Bristol office & working remotely
Employment type: 13 month Fixed Term Contract (please note, you must have the right to work in the UK)
What you’ll be doing at Elvie:
- Work in partnership with the business to implement and deliver the People strategy to help Elvie achieve its commercial objectives and establish the business as a 'best place to work' in the market.
- Provide strategic guidance and coach leaders in our Product teams to build capability in their teams, sharing HR best practice, and empowering managers to make effective people decisions consistent with Elvie’s culture and values
- Provide mentorship to our People and Talent Partner whilst they provide guidance to our managers
- Managing our People Co-ordinator and People Ops & Talent Partner as they manage the complete employee lifecycle (including onboarding, offboarding, performance management) and supporting career development, remuneration and talent development processes to ensure that each element is best in class and aligned to our focus on a great total employee experience at Elvie, and being the point of escalation for policy and process.
- Work in partnership with our Talent Acquisition Partners and our leaders to ensure that new and existing roles are scoped and benchmarked effectively so that we find the best people through our recruitment process, and work with our finance team to lead organisational reviews using benchmarking data
- Establish progressive and accessible HR policies commonly present within a high growth start-up and lead the effective implementation of HR processes, procedures, and tools
- Leading on providing data and metrics to the business and supporting People Director with ongoing People budget
- Supporting the company-wide roll out of our renewed development offering, including our career progression framework, manager forums, and management and leadership programmes, to upskill and build capability across the organisation
- Manage annual benefits/systems/policy reviews and renewals
- Champion employee wellbeing; mental, physical, and financial - ensuring support is available and signposting employees where necessary
- Oversee monthly payroll
What we are looking for:
- Strong generalist background and experience
- Highly passionate about working for a mission-led start-up
- Strong knowledge of employment law and best practises in the UK (global experience is also desirable)
- Proactive & pragmatic - use past experience to come up with solutions and implement them with a “can do” attitude - happy to hold yourself accountable for pushing things forward
- Problem solving skills which deliver both imaginative and practical solutions to complex problems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and act with discretion
- Track record of engaging at all levels of leadership, including executive teams, and building trust, support and commitment
- Effective influencing, communication and engagement skills across a diverse set of stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to effectively prioritise and manage multiple projects in a fast paced and demanding environment
- Self-starter with high levels of motivation and energy
- The ability to think creatively and understand the business impacts of decisions
- Coaching experience/qualifications are desirable
The benefits you’ll get:
We're on an exceptional journey. And we can offer you a genuinely purpose-led career with a culture built on trust, autonomy, and flexibility. In addition, we'll give you:
- Lots of flexibility: whether it’s working from home, doing the school run, or life admin, we understand that flexibility is essential, and we trust you to do the right thing for you and us
- Share options: we want everyone to have a stake in our success
- 25 days’ annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 8 extra life leave days; getting married, moving house, menopause or just things that you can’t put a label on that matter to you
- 5=10 leave: 10 days’ additional leave on your 5th and 10th years of service!
- £100 contribution to your home working set up to spend as you see fit
- An annual personal development allowance of £200 and unlimited access to our learning and development platform, Learnerbly
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity (16 weeks at full pay, then 8 weeks paid at 75% followed by 15 weeks at SMP rate.), paternity/partner (6 weeks at full pay to take at any point during the first year of your child’s life), shared & adoption
- Healthcare plans, life insurance, and an employee assistance program for you and your family
- A tax-efficient group pension scheme
- Group income protection; protect your salary if you get sick
- A free Elvie trainer for you to keep or give away when you join
- Generous employee and friends & family discounts on Elvie products
- Wellbeing support from YuLife and access to SmartHealth app with unlimited GP appointments for you and your family, plus various well-being initiatives throughout the year
- Lovely offices in great locations, with drinks and snacks provided, along with fun social events
What you can expect after you’ve applied:
A member of our recruitment team will reach out to you after they have reviewed your application. You must ensure your application is completed correctly, and we strongly encourage you to add a cover letter or note to let us know why Elvie’s the right fit for you.
We would like to get to know you through your background, attitude, experience and understand your motivation to work with us. Our interview process varies depending on the position, but for this role it will typically look like this:
- 30-minute video call with one of our recruiters
- 45 minute video call with the People Lead and People Business Partner
- 60 minute video interview with the People Director
This is an exciting time to join Elvie. You’ll have a voice, make an impact, and have the opportunity to mould your role. So be ready to learn, have fun, and be inspired by our passionate, talented team — and having a sense of humour helps too. 😉
Belonging at Elvie
At Elvie, we believe having diverse teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply and we don't discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, marital status, disability or age.
If you need any support with your application, please get in contact with us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0203 884 7223.
We asked employees of Elvie how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Elvie
Gender diversity (male:female)
Bristol, London, US Remote