Distinction is an exciting, ambitious digital product studio with offices in Nottingham, London, and Boston (US). We create high-quality, often business-critical, digital products for start-ups, scale-ups and disruptors throughout the UK, Europe, and North America.
Our team is experienced and award-winning, and our culture is one of collaboration and teamwork. We believe good things happen when our people are given the autonomy to do their best work.
We’ve got big plans, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join us on the journey.
About the role
This Business Development Executive role specifically focuses finding and nurturing prospects. It is an outbound ‘hunter’ role.
You will be responsible for creating, building, and helping with closing a sales pipeline to achieve a realistic sales target.
To do so, you’ll need to work closely with other members of the team to support your outbound lead generation efforts, nurture prospects, create proposals, and ultimately win new accounts.
The remuneration is a combination of salary and uncapped commission.
- Proactively seeking out new opportunities
- Nurturing relationships by adding value (consultative approach, not a hard-sell)
- Responding to inbound enquiries
- Delivering on a realistic sales target
- Building a future sales pipeline of ideal clients
- Nurturing sales referral partnerships
- Delivering a targeted outbound sales strategy
- Working with the internal team to improve our sales processes
- Working with our marketing team to build lead generation campaigns
- Creating written proposals and pitch packs, presenting to clients, and closing deals
- Maintaining our CRM
- Attending client meetings as required
- A brand ambassador for Distinction to your own network
- Experience of prospecting and nurturing long sales cycles
- Demonstrable experience working with SPIN, MEDDIC or Challenger Sale methodology
- Proven track record of meeting/exceeding sales targets in a business like ours
- Good knowledge of the digital agency landscape, and keen to learn more
- Good knowledge of sectors such as fintechs, edtech, and healthtech
- Sales experience in a digital product studio, digital agency, or similar, and a well-established network to bring to the role would help you stand out
- Must be a ‘hunter’ with consultative, solution selling experience
- Superb communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent presentation and business writing skills
- Very strong commercial acumen and negotiation skills
- Ability to balance a varied workload and prioritise key activities
- Excellent organisation and planning skills
- Very high proficiency in the full MS Office suite and HubSpot (or similar)
- Good range of influencing and negotiation styles to deal with different challenges
- A creative thinker with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Ability to think and act independently as well as collaboratively
- Open, honest and direct, is comfortable in giving and receiving constructive feedback
- A passion for the type of work we do at Distinction (please take a look at what we do)
- Lives and breathes our core values
- A desire to learn new skills
Why work for us?
Distinction is a busy, fun place to work, with ambitious plans to triple our size in the next two years.
In addition to a competitive salary (verified by an external salary benchmarking company), we believe in providing meaningful benefits including:
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working – as per our ‘works where’s best’ policy
- From 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Enhanced sick pay – covering both mental and physical health
- Enhanced life leave – covering the unexpected events in your life
- Enhanced parental leave – covering maternity and paternity leave
- Pregnancy loss and parental bereavement leave
- Compassionate leave
- Health and wellness programmes
- New, high spec Dell equipment
- Personal budget for learning, books, tech hardware and software
- Lots of opportunities to attend national and international conferences
- Enjoy savings on bikes and technology
- Tea, coffee, drinks fridge and fruit deliveries
- A busy social calendar with regular in-person and virtual socials including Christmas and Summer parties (off-site)
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and we encourage applicants from minority backgrounds or LGBTQ+ communities. We promise that you’ll receive equal consideration for employment without regard to your age, race, religion, gender, or disability.
We prefer to recruit directly where possible, but we do work with a few select recruitment agencies who we feel have a good understanding of our business and the type of people we’re looking for. For this reason, please don’t contact us – we’ll contact you.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options Distinction provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure Distinction is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at Distinction
Gender diversity (male:female)
60% : 40%
Nottingham, London, Boston (US)
What employees are saying
Our policy of "work from where's best" is an example of how forward-thinking we are as a company. There's a real consensus between the team that we work hard and are proud of the outputs. Still, ultimately, we work to live and not the other way round.