A little flex time
As a Technical Writer at deepset, you will own the documentation for Haystack and have the opportunity to contribute to an open-source product that impacts a large, global community. In this cross-functional team, you will interact closely with other members to make the user experience absolutely top-notch. This is a creative role for a writer who will help us advance further with our documentation-as-product initiative. Haystack’s documentation is crucially important for the success of many product and engineering teams building language-aware applications, and our goal is to continuously improve on its quality and consistency.
We are an open-source startup that empowers developers to build flexible and powerful semantic search systems to query all types of data using our Haystack framework.
deepset is at the forefront of natural language processing (NLP) and we are on our way to becoming a standard for semantic search. Come join our team and work with tech experts on real-world cases, in a fast-paced and high-impact environment, and shape the NLP space together with us.
Life at deepset
At deepset you will find an environment with equal opportunities to grow, share ideas, build relationships, and succeed. We believe every employee is important and generates a direct impact on our team’s success.
We are certified by Flexa® Careers as a flexible employer, and our remote-first culture is designed to provide work-life balance, autonomy, and flexibility.
Our daily meetings, the quarterly in-person "Re.Base", and the social events allow us to work with great synergy. We would like to invite you to visit our life page to learn more about our culture.
- Write the documentation for Haystack using ReadMe, GitHub, and other platforms.
- Curate and maintain the current documentation, always updating it to reflect the most recent changes; You’ll be the owner of Haystack documentation, and act as a contact point for all documentation-related subjects.
- Take the initiative to identify improvements based on the interactions with the open-source community and through data analyses (you’ll have access to Google Analytics and internal telemetry data).
- Work closely with the Open Source Engineering team, and prepare documentation for monthly releases.
- Work in collaboration with other teams such as Marketing and Developer Advocacy, contributing with English language reviews.
- Have a real impact on documentation roadmap, writing guidelines, and processes.
- Technical writing and content creation experience of 3+ years, having previously worked independently on product documentation.
- Excellent written English skills with the ability to produce technically accurate and easy-to-read documentation that adheres to our product voice guidelines.
- Ability to grasp technical concepts and explain them to users at all levels of expertise, and ability to understand Python code samples.
- Working experience with versioning systems, such as GitHub.
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously treating the documentation as product and paying attention to detail.
Nice to have:
- Experience with open-source projects, GitHub, Markdown, and ReadMe.
- Ability to write basic Python code, and basic knowledge of NLP or machine learning concepts.
- Remote-first: You can choose to work from home or any other workspace that suits you. We offer a home office budget for equipment and furniture, and we would be happy to sponsor a co-working spot.
- Grow: Personal and professional growth is important to us. We offer a yearly 800 EUR budget to learn and develop new skills, the chance to speak at conferences, and our team favorite is the monthly “Hacky Friday”.
- Connect: We have a virtual office, a monthly social budget to reconnect virtually or in person, regular walks and talks with colleagues from other teams, and a flexible travel policy that enables you to meet colleagues in person when needed.
- Re:base: Once every few months we meet in person. We believe it's great to still see each other occasionally in real life. We have good discussions, we do workshops, we brainstorm, we have lunches together, and we have fun. We cover travel expenses for sure.
- You are an owner: We offer every employee the opportunity to be enrolled in the employee stock option plan and own a part of the company.
- Personal time off: If you want to recharge and travel the world - there are 27 days of paid holidays.
- Choose your tech: Linux, Windows, or macOS? Laptop or PC? The choice is yours and we will provide what you need.
- Health and/or pension fund fitting with your main working location: E.g. Company pension scheme for Germany, Health insurance for the US
What colleagues say
- Agnieszka Marzec, Lead Technical Writer: "Coming from a large corporation to a startup, I admit I didn`t know what to expect. But ever since I joined deepset, I haven`t regretted my choice for one minute. I am really thrilled to be working with a team of motivated and extremely talented people, where everyone has a voice of equal importance and plenty of room to grow."
- Rob, Junior Applied NLP Engineer: "I`m very excited to be joining deepset, where I will get the chance to work with passionate, brilliant, and exceptionally generous colleagues using state-of-the-art NLP technologies. As a former academic linguist, I take great joy in working with people who are as passionate about language as I am, and I can`t imagine a better place to build a career in NLP engineering.”
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options deepset provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure deepset is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at deepset
Gender diversity (male:female:non-binary)
We have "hubs" (i.e. place where more than one person lives) in Berlin, Krakow, Hamburg and Munich.
What employees are saying
"Everyone cares sincerely about each other's well-being, as well as encouraging employees to take time for themselves and adapting schedules to meet your personal and family needs."
Anonymous Engineer at deepset