A little flex time
Currencycloud is somewhere where innovative thinking and the power of technology know no limits. We know that the success of the business depends on the people who keep it moving, which is why we are looking for exceptional talent to join our international payments revolution.
We are an open & collaborative Fintech unicorn that lives and breathes our company values:
Be Human, Better Together and Own it.
It’s a key topic at the moment, we have addressed this by implementing a “Remote-First” policy. What this ultimately means is you have the choice as to whether you Work Fully Remotely, or visit the lush offices in London, Cardiff or Amsterdam; it’s up to you!
About the Role...
Our Engineering Managers lead the engineers that are responsible for implementing an industry-leading API that has already processed over $50 billion of cross-border transactions for over 5 million end-users, and is available to our clients 24/7.
We follow the principle of having small autonomous teams that are owners of their future. The Engineering Manager is responsible for all engineers in a team, including both Software and Quality engineers.
If you follow Pat Kua and his 5 Engineering Manager Archetypes, we see our role in between the Tech Lead Manager and the Team Lead Manager. We believe that our managers must have a technical background to have productive conversations with our engineers, but we don’t expect them to be coding all the time.
Our usual team structure consists of an Engineering Manager, Product Manager, Agile Delivery Manager, 3-4 Software Engineers and 1-2 QA Engineers.
As we grow, we started grouping teams into tribes, following a version of the Spotify model. Tribes are a number of teams working under the same domain, where interactions between teams (and their services), although autonomous, are tighter than teams/services outside the tribe.
What you'll get to do?
- Grows team members and builds a high-performing team
- Spends time recruiting, and organising activities that increase retention
- Creates an environment of psychological safety, enabling team members to thrive
- Represents the team in the wider engineering and tech organisations.
- A key champion of our culture
- Drives the team to decide how to implement our product. Can break ties and has the last word on technical matters.
- Has a broad set of expertise and experience on various technical matters
- Spends time driving technical discussions and decisions, and writing code.
- Actively guide architecture, tool choices and internal technical quality and best practices
- Actively raises and drives Type 2 work to manage tech debt, scalability, performance and maintainability of our software
- Ensures support and operations for services in production with aid of their team.
- Drives technical excellence.
- Continually tunes the team software process to deliver a sustainable and seamless flow of value
- Managing productivity of the engineers in the team.
- Navigates and overcomes organizational processes and structures (i.e bureaucracy)
- Communicates, reports to, and aligns with stakeholders
- Ensures team ceremonies run smoothly, regularly, and efficiently.
- 2+ years of experience as an Engineering Manager, Tech Lead, Team Lead or OR willingness to step in to this role
- A deliberate decision to stay on a leadership track by managing a team of Individual Contributors.
- Experience working with Agile process and principles.
- Ability to communicate equally effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Modern programming languages, these teams primarily use Java, so experience with Java (opensource) would be preferable
- Modern Cloud-Native architectures and practices. To name some: high-availability, high-scalability, microservices, 12-factor apps, CI/CD, heavy testing automation and observability.
- TDD, BDD and Contract testing.
- Knowledge of tools such as Kafka, Kubernetes or Docker
- Working in a DevOps environment, or passion and willingness to work in this way.
- Proven delivery of well-tested, scalable, fault-tolerant and performant solutions.
- A pragmatic approach to solutions and delivery of technical projects.
- Have been a driving force not only behind change in your previous roles but also in working in a distributed environment.
- Having worked in a collaborative environment where you are comfortable reviewing code of your peers
- A self-starter who takes accountability for getting things done.
- Passionate about growing others while growing yourself. An interest for continuous improvement and helping engineers to feel part of something bigger.
- Pragmatism in decision making and ability to get buy-in for ideas and getting them done.
- Top-notch stakeholder management skills, including the ability to influence colleagues in small, cross-functional scrum teams.
- Exceptional structure and attention to detail.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and always curious about the way things work.
- Great written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable working in a scale-up or growth environment and as part of a wider team
We are a remote-first company; whichever location you’re contracted to, we leave it up to you and your manager to agree on how often you come into the office. To make things easier we offer an allowance so you can create your own working space at home because we REALLY mean it when we say remote first.
Your health and well-being are of paramount importance to us, and so our jampacked employee benefits reflect this!
We offer a competitive salary, an individual learning and development budget, a pension or 401K contribution, mental health days and comprehensive health care that includes annual optical and dental allowances, access to mental health support and a monthly allowance that you can spend on anything health or wellness related!
At the moment we are unable to consider applicants living outside of our entities and we are unable to provide visa sponsorship.
We aren’t currently looking for additional Recruiter support on this role and won’t be accepting any unsolicited CVs