3–4 days per week at home
A little flex time
CTS Platform Engineering
Are you passionate about Cloud Engineering? Would you be excited to develop a specialism with the world’s fastest growing public cloud provider? Are you a quick learner and into working with cutting-edge technologies? If so, let’s talk!
We’re hiring for talented Platform Engineering professionals to design, implement and maintain modern cloud platforms at scale utilising both Google Cloud Platform and open source services.
You’ll work alongside our highly skilled and collaborative GCP Engineering team (Data Engineers, Platform Engineers, Cloud Architects, Software Engineers), working as part of CTS project teams delivering innovative solutions for our diverse customer base.
The duration of customer projects tends to be fairly short, typically between 3-6 months, and each customer has a specific set of requirements and desired business outcomes. This means you’d be exposed to different challenges and tech stacks with each project. It’s a highly varied role, in which you’ll continually broaden your technical knowledge.
__ __ __
We have four distinct roles within our Platform Engineering Team:
Platform Engineer - Play an active role in customer projects, contribute to the successful delivery of cloud-native data engineering projects. Hone your technical skills and develop a specialism in GCP services.
Senior Platform Engineer - A customer facing, delivery-focused Engineering role. Take ownership and be the most senior engineering resource on customer projects. Mentor and coach more junior Engineers. Be the technical escalation point for our customers.
Lead Platform Engineer - All the above, plus line manage a group of Data Engineers. You’ll provide guidance and support to your direct reports, ensuring they have the tools, coaching and confidence to perform to the best of their ability.
Principal Platform Engineer - In an individual contributor role, you’d demonstrate an extensive knowledge of data engineering principles, tooling and technologies. You’d work as a hands-on Engineer on customer projects, but would also contribute to designing solutions, improving internal delivery processes and defining CTS’ data capabilities and service offerings.
If you're unsure if your experience is aligned to any one of the roles listed above, or if more than one role appeals to you, then we'd be happy to have an informal call to provide more context.
*Please Note: Previous experience with GCP is not required; experience of other public cloud providers (AWS or Azure) would be sufficient.
What you’ll do:
- Work alongside CTS colleagues to design, plan and build highly available, global and cloud-native data platforms, and mentor others to be able to do so.
- Advise customers on modern software and architecture techniques such as 12 factor, microservices and serverless
- Identify optimisation opportunities across customer environments and lead their design and implementation
- Assist customers in understanding how cloud technology can help them grow and the benefits it offers
- At more senior levels, you’d mentor more junior members of the team and helping to drive their development
At any level, we’d look for you to have some experience with...
- Hands-on experience with at least one major cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Ability to write tooling in at least one programming language
- An understanding of Terraform and deployment methodologies associated with the tool
- Understanding of application development, delivery and infrastructure automation
Some of the technologies you might have encountered might include:
- Containerisation technologies (e.g. Docker)
- Configuration management tooling (e.g. Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt)
- Excellent understanding of the Linux operating system (e.g. Debian, CentOS)
- Continuous integration and deployment tool sets (e.g. Jenkins, ArgoCD, GoCD)
- Common DevOps technology stacks (e.g. ELK, NGINX, Apache, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, Redis, Consul)
- Database technologies including MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Serverless and microservice architectures
You might also have some knowledge/experience of the below:
- Commercial Kubernetes operational experience
- Site Reliability Engineering principles
- Solid knowledge of cloud architecture principles and highly available systems
- GCP/AWS/Kubernetes professional certifications
You can choose to work fully remotely if that works best for you. Alternatively, we have offices in Manchester, Edinburgh, London & Utrecht, so if you'd prefer to travel to the offices on a daily, weekly or just an occasional basis then that's entirely up to you!
What you’ll get:
In addition to the competitive salary (see our “Fair pay. Done right” commitment below), you’ll get private health insurance and company contributed pensions as standard.
We have a multitude of other benefits, including a market leading parental leave policy, unlimited paid holidays, regular opportunities to attain industry recognised training and access to a discounts and rewards programme (including discounted gym membership). We've also recently announced our Work From Anywhere policy!
You’ll be invited to the bi-annual international company ‘kick off’ conferences, which are a great chance to meet your colleagues that you don’t see everyday.
As part of our DNA, we offer a flexible working environment, so we encourage you to apply and ask if this is something you require.
Fair Pay; Done Right.
We don't advertise salary brackets because we don't have salary brackets. We encourage conversation about your (and our) salary expectations from the off and throughout your time with us, but we don't want to discourage anyone from applying because they are on significantly more or less than a "bracket".
CTS is the largest dedicated Google Cloud partner in Europe and one of the world’s leading cloud experts. We offer GCP solutions to businesses that encompasses infrastructure & application migrations, machine learning, big data and cloud native app development. All of it focussed on GCP.
We have a brilliant team of more than 240 people working across the UK and Netherlands. As part of the GCP Team, you’ll solve interesting problems using the latest and greatest technology across the Google and Cloud ecosystems. We’re still growing, and that means we need more brilliant people who share our ambition to join our team.
We’re committed to equal opportunities and actively promote a diverse and inclusive working environment, and fairness for everyone.