3–4 days per week at home
A little flex time
CTS Data Engineering
Are you passionate about data? Would you be excited to build cloud first data platforms, with the potential to process and store terabytes of data, to enable businesses to make better decisions? Are you a quick learner and into working with cutting-edge technologies? If so, let’s talk!
We’re hiring for talented Data Engineering professionals to design, implement and maintain modern cloud data platforms at scale utilising both Google Cloud Platform and open source services. This is an opportunity to develop a specialism with GCP - the cloud platform that is leading the way in the fields of data engineering and machine learning.
You’ll work alongside our highly skilled and collaborative GCP Engineering team (Data Engineers, Platform Engineers, Cloud Architects, Software Engineers), working as part of CTS project teams delivering innovative solutions for our diverse customer base.
The duration of customer projects tends to be fairly short, typically between 3-6 months, and each customer has a specific set of requirements and desired business outcomes. This means you’d be exposed to different challenges and tech stacks with each project. It’s a highly varied role, in which you’ll continually broaden your technical knowledge.
__ __ __
We have four distinct roles within our Data Engineering Team:
Data Engineer - Play an active role in customer projects, contribute to the successful delivery of cloud-native data engineering projects. Hone your technical skills and develop a specialism in GCP services.
Senior Data Engineer - A customer facing, delivery-focused Engineering role. Take ownership and be the most senior engineering resource on customer projects. Mentor and coach more junior Engineers. Be the technical escalation point for our customers.
Data Engineering Team Lead - All the above, plus line management of a group of Data Engineers. You’ll provide guidance and support to your direct reports, ensuring they have the tools, coaching and confidence to perform to the best of their ability.
Principal Data Engineer - As an individual contributor role, you’d demonstrate an extensive knowledge of data engineering principles, tooling and technologies. You’d still work as a hands-on Engineer, but would also contribute to designing solutions, improving internal delivery processes and defining CTS’ data capabilities and service offerings.
If you're unsure if your experience is aligned to any one of the roles listed above, or if more than one role appeals to you, then we'd be happy to have an informal call to provide more context.
*Please Note: Previous experience with GCP is not required; experience of other public cloud providers (AWS or Azure) would be sufficient.
What you’ll do:
- Work alongside CTS colleagues to design highly available, complex and cloud-native data platforms, and mentor others to be able to do so.
- Advise customers on modern approaches to data engineering and the best approach to solve their unique problems.
- Understand customer data structures and transformation requirements to build suitable solutions on Google Cloud Platform
- Assist customers in understanding how cloud technology can help them grow and the benefits it offers
At any level, we’d look for you to have some experience with the below:
- Hands-on experience with at least one major cloud provider (GCP, AWS, Azure), including the use of their data related components to build solutions.
- Experience designing and building large data architectures
- Significant experience in using Python for Data Engineering and Software Development.
- Strong experience building ETL / ELT pipelines, Data Lakes and Data Warehouses
Some of the technologies you might have encountered might include:
- Hadoop / Spark
- Apache Airflow
- Apache Beam
- Relational database technologies (Microsoft SQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL)
- Analytical tools (Looker, Tableau, Qlik, Data Studio)
You might also have some of the below:
- Common data modelling techniques and SQL (e.g. MS SQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Google database services like Firestore, Cloud SQL, Big Query or equivalents from other Cloud Providers.
- Unit testing and CI / CD
- Experience using Git and related tooling
- Google Cloud Platform (e.g. Pub/Sub, Dataflow, BigQuery, Firestore, etc.)
- AWS (e.g. Athena, EMR, Glue, Redshift, Kinesis, etc) or Azure (e.g. Synapse, Databricks, Data Factory, Event Hub, etc.)
- Scala or other programming languages.
You can choose to work fully remotely if that works best for you. Alternatively, we have offices in Manchester, Edinburgh, London & Utrecht, so if you'd prefer to travel to the offices on a daily, weekly or just an occasional basis then that's entirely up to you!
What you’ll get:
In addition to the competitive salary (see our “Fair pay. Done right” commitment below), you’ll get private health insurance and company contributed pensions as standard.
We have a multitude of other benefits, including a market leading parental leave policy, unlimited paid holidays, regular opportunities to attain industry recognised training and access to a discounts and rewards programme (including discounted gym membership). We've also recently announced our Work From Anywhere policy!
You’ll be invited to the bi-annual international company ‘kick off’ conferences, which are a great chance to meet your colleagues that you don’t see everyday.
As part of our DNA, we offer a flexible working environment, so we encourage you to apply and ask if this is something you require.
Fair Pay; Done Right.
We don't advertise salary brackets because we don't have salary brackets. We encourage conversation about your (and our) salary expectations from the off and throughout your time with us, but we don't want to discourage anyone from applying because they are on significantly more or less than a "bracket".
CTS is the largest dedicated Google Cloud partner in Europe and one of the world’s leading cloud experts. We offer GCP solutions to businesses that encompasses infrastructure & application migrations, machine learning, big data and cloud native app development. All of it focussed on GCP.
We have a brilliant team of more than 240 people working across the UK and Netherlands. As part of the GCP Team, you’ll solve interesting problems using the latest and greatest technology across the Google and Cloud ecosystems. We’re still growing, and that means we need more brilliant people who share our ambition to join our team.
We’re committed to equal opportunities and actively promote a diverse and inclusive working environment, and fairness for everyone.