This position is a great opportunity for a Germany-trained lawyer who wants to put their professional expertise at the service of the environment and the climate. You will use your expertise to support and implement strategic legal interventions, including pushing for legislative change and policy development with the objective of a profound transformation of the energy system. You would be involved in all aspects of the work of our team. As a part of the larger ClientEarth organisation, you will have ample opportunity to work with lawyers from many countries focusing on a variety of subject matters.
We are looking for someone to join us for 9 months with the possibility of partial extension if necessary.
The position is suitable for a professional in the early stages of their career.
* The successful candidate’s final title will be agreed prior to a formal offer, and will depend on their professional qualifications and the applicable regulated titled allowed to be used in the relevant jurisdiction.
Meet your Manager
The position sits within the Clean Air, Water & Soil subgroup and reports to the Lead of legal sub-group, Nieves Noval, as well as the Head of Country (Germany) with a dotted line.
- Contributing to implementing and further developing ClientEarth’s Global Impact strategy and European energy systems strategy in Germany;
- Legal research and analysis relevant to support litigation and legal advocacy relating to energy system in Germany (e.g. concerning compliance with relevant environmental law);
- Undertake advocacy with relevant stakeholders at the national level, including politicians, government advisers, private sector actors and NGOs;
See the job description (below) for a full list of duties for this role.
- Fluent (CEFR level C2) in German
- Fluent (CEFR level C2) in English
- First State Examination in law in Germany;
- Professional experience in working with German environmental/energy law or focus on environmental law in studies/internships/Referendariat;
- Commitment to ClientEarth’s vision, mission, values, and a working style which reflects these
See the job description (below) for a full list of requirements for this role.
Note to candidates: We know that long lists of criteria can be daunting and that some candidates will not apply for a role unless they feel they are 100% qualified. If you feel you meet at least some of the essential criteria below, we still encourage you to apply.
Have a question about this job? Please visit our Careers site for advice on applying, FAQs, and more.
Flexible working: We are proud to be a Flexa accredited Employer. Visit our Flexa Employer page for more information on our approach to flexible working. Our flexible working policy allows our people the choice to decide to work from home in the country where their contract of employment is issued for 80% of their month, with the other 20% of their month being office-based See our Benefits page for more.
ClientEarth values diversity and inclusion and the benefits this brings. We aim to appoint the most suitable candidate at all times and welcome applications from people from all different backgrounds.
Please note that ClientEarth is only able to employ those who have the pre-existing legal right to work in Germany.
ClientEarth is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or legal services to third parties.
We asked employees of ClientEarth how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at ClientEarth
Gender diversity (male:female)
London, Brussels, Warsaw, Madrid, Berlin, Beijing, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Tokyo