Centrica are going through an exciting period of change. We’re evolving to become a truly purpose-led organisation, helping millions of customers to live more sustainably, simply, and affordably. We truly believe that we have a huge role to play in helping the nation to cut carbon emissions and prepare for a net zero future, and it’s a role we are immensely proud of.
An opportunity to play your part. The purpose of the Procurement Category Specialist - Net Zero is to develop and execute a Category strategy by engaging with stakeholders and Category leads to execute procurement projects to achieve the best commercial outcome for Centrica. Working within the Net Zero Procurement Team this role will focus on Air Source Heat Pumps, Domestic Solar and Battery for British Gas.
The Day to Day:
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to establish a wave plan of procurement activity taking into account new business requirements, business strategy, emerging risks and expiring contracts with suppliers.
- Apply strong understanding of market dynamics (using tools such as Porters Five Forces and Kraljic) and cost drivers specific to the goods/services/technology in question to develop the category strategy
- Create go to market strategies working with business stakeholders
- Lead procurement tenders in line with the category strategy
- Lead commercial negotiations
- Lead contract drafting and negotiation in collaboration with Commercial Legal and specialists’ legal teams
- Develop Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) activity in line with the Centrica SRM framework
- Manage contract governance process in collaboration with business stakeholders (Group Contracts Committee)
- Manage risk in collaboration with risk SME teams
- Manage and optimise the supplier base within the category, including buying channels and the category playbook to enable tactical sourcing
- Collaborate across the Procurement Function to deliver the best experience for stakeholders
- A degree in procurement, business, or a related field, or relevant work experience (2+ years working in a large-scale procurement organization)
- Possession of MCIPS or ISM certifications is advantageous but not mandatory
- Experience working within the renewable industry is advantageous but not mandatory
- Proficiency in translating stakeholder requirements and market dynamics into a well-defined category strategy
- Strategic thinking capabilities and the ability to communicate how the category strategy aligns with business needs
- Strong knowledge of effectively navigating market dynamics
- Proficiency in commercial and negotiation skills
- Capability to effectively manage key suppliers to preserve value achieved through negotiation and sourcing
- Competent in stakeholder management
- Strong negotiation skills
- Proficiency in influencing without direct authority
- Skillful in managing upward relationships
- Expertise in project management
What's in it for you:
- Competitive salary and bonus potential
- Employee Energy Allowance at 15% of the government price cap
- Pension scheme
- Company Funded Healthcare Plan
- 25 days holiday allowance, plus public holidays, and the option to buy up to 5 additional days
- Excellent range of flexible benefits, including technology vouchers, electric car lease scheme & travel insurance
At Centrica we embrace diversity and actively seek to attract individuals with unique backgrounds and perspectives. To build a more sustainable future, we need the best team – a team with a diverse mix of people and skills, where everyone feels welcome and able to succeed. We are dedicated in helping to close the diversity gap and would love to see more females, people of colour and LGBTQ+ employees, as well as those from a variety of cultures and ethnicity to veterans and the differently abled. Supporting diversity and inclusion is a big part of who we are, we are not looking for people to fit into our culture but to add to it!
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE by hitting the 'Apply' button.
Applications will ONLY be accepted via the ‘Apply’ button.
This role is being handled by the Centrica recruitment team and NO agency contact is required.
We asked employees of Centrica how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Additional employee ratings
(these do not contribute to the FlexScore®)
Working at Centrica
Gender diversity (male:female)
Windsor, London, Cardiff, Leicester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester, Dublin, Stockport, Staines, Hampton, Aberdeen, Barrow, Hull