carwow is looking for Software Engineers (Ruby on Rails) to join the Engineering team in our Portuguese product centre of excellence working on a fully remote basis.
Buying or selling a car shouldn’t be difficult! That’s why here at carwow we are on a mission to change the way people buy, sell or use a car by creating the world’s best online car marketplace. We're not all petrolheads - just a highly driven (excuse the pun) scale-up with over 300 carwowers in the UK, Germany, Spain and Portugal .
Since starting our journey in 2011, we’ve grown to become one of the most trusted comparison sites with over 12 million users and a Trustpilot rating of 4.7. We are also very proud to be backed by some of Europe’s most respected technology, marketplace and automotive investors.
At carwow, we aim to create a culture where our team can thrive no matter where or how they work. With hybrid working (1-2 days in the office although more if you like), and a healthy home office budget of £500, we are also open to looking at alternative working patterns to ensure carwowers can work in a way that works best for them.
We’re also a curious bunch and benefit from a number of different training opportunities. We are big on celebrating successes, working collaboratively and have found lots of ways to stay connected as a team both virtually and in person.
With a team of over 25 different nationalities, we know a diverse and inclusive workforce creates a more innovative company. We have work to do to get us where we’d like to be, but are working hard to get there and have a number of key DE&I initiatives underway.
So, if you always aim to WOW through everything you do (check out more info about our values here), we’d love you to join us on our journey.
About the role
We have a number of new and exciting projects in the pipeline and need help in solving interesting and impactful technical challenges with a range of contexts — from infrastructure to the front-end.
As a team, our mission is to create a technology driven company where we're empowered to use our skills to solve difficult problems and scale the product.
Our tech stack is primarily Ruby on Rails, using PostgreSQL for the backend and Elm for the frontend, all hosted on Heroku. We use Terraform to manage our infrastructure and encourage teams to be involved in deployment.
Employee development is important to us; we've designed a progression framework that encourages fast track progression and clearly defines what is expected of you at each career stage.
What you can expect from this role;
- Working in a product team building out new functionality and contributing to existing
- Pushing code through to production from day 1
- Work with team who are passionate about quality — TDD means a lot to us. Whilst delivery is important, we don’t sacrifice on quality
- We pride ourselves on having a truly collaborative approach and a culture of open-mindedness where your opinions and insights can be heard.
- We care about staff happiness; we'll make sure you have all the right support, learning experiences, and entrainment to enjoy your job.
- You will have the opportunity to mentor and coach junior engineers should you wish to
- You will be working for a technology-driven company, where the main stakeholders have a very good understanding of the product development process and nuances of software development. One of our co-founders is the CTO who is very passionate about software engineering and does a great job of educating the company about how exactly building software with agility works
- You will be exposed to the entire product development process, allowing you to develop skills outside of software development
- We have challenging scalability and are growing every day. Currently, there are around 3 million visitors a month on average to the website and growing
- Experience as a hands on software engineer
- A strong grasp of Ruby or Ruby on Rails.
- Enjoy working within a TDD environment
- Like the idea of working on events based systems, for example Kafka
- Comfortable using git or other source control system proficiently
- Passion for building performant application code, following industry best practises
- Interested to learn about functional programming - we use Elm for our frontend
- Above all, passionate about writing clean, reusable, scalable code
Please note: We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've listed in this posting, so we’d encourage you to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not an exact match.
- A competitive salary with equity in the company (share options)
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas Eve or an alternative religious holiday of your choice*
- Private medical health insurance
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- The latest core Tech (Macbook Air or PC Surface Pro)
- Home Office budget of £500/€550
*if you are not religious, this day will remain as Christmas Eve in conjunction with usual Christmas Bank Holidays
We are leading the change to Electric vehicles and are conscious of the impact our industry can have on the environment. We’ve already planted over 45,000 trees to date as a thank you to those who leave us a review and are extremely excited about our new partnership with ‘One Tree Planted’, which we hope will increase the number to around 60,000 trees a year.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options carwow provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure carwow is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at carwow
Gender diversity (male:female)
Male: 64% Female: 34% Other: 2%
London, Munich, Madrid and remotely in Portugal
$55 million in 2021
What employees are saying
"I do really love the 'remote first, hybrid working' mentality at carwow. We also offer a work from anywhere benefit which allows us to manage our annual leave really well. Our hybrid working is super flexible, so I can really manage my personal life well."
Anonymous Marketing Employee at carwow
More roles at carwow
- Account Manager Intern
- Head of Global People Operations
- Junior IT Technician
- Praktikum Strategy & Innovation (w/m/d)
- Office & Community Manager:in (m/w/d) Teilzeit mit 20-30 Stunden/Woche
- Key Account Manager (m/w/d)
- Accounts Payable Specialist
- Transactional Finance Manager
- Media Operations Coordinator:in (m/w/d)
- Video-Editor:in / Cutter:in (m/w/d)
- Junior Project Manager (m/w/d)
- Videographer:in (m/w/d)
- D2C Partnerships Manager
- Compliance Manager
- Head of Global People Operations
- Global People Partner (m/w/d)
- Interim Head of Global Talent Management - maternity cover (FTC)
- Interim Head of Global Talent Management (m/w/d) - maternity cover
- Customer Experience Representative (German market)
- Online Marketing Manager:in - Affiliate Partnerships (w/m/d)
- Creative Strategy Manager
- Media Operations Coordinator (m/w/d)
- Performance Marketing Manager - Germany
- Media Operations Coordinator
- Strategy & Insight Associate
- Senior Strategy Associate
- FP&A Analyst - Operations
- Recruiting Specialist (m/w/d)
- Praktikum Business & Operations Analyst (w/m/d)
- Account Manager (m/w/d)
- Junior Account Manager (m/w/d)
- Agency Partnerships Manager (m/w/d)
- Automotive Brand Partnerships Manager (m/w/d)
- Revenue Operations Manager
- Talent Acquisition & Employer Branding Specialist (m/w/d)
- OEM Brand Partnerships Manager (m/w/d)
- Media Sales Manager (m/w/d)
- Business Development Manager (m/w/d)
- Team Lead Country Marketing Germany (w/m/d)
- Commercial Performance & Analytics Manager (w/m/d)
- Head of Country Marketing Germany (w/m/d)
- Praktikum Business Development (w/m/d) - ab September 2023