Buying or selling a car shouldn’t be difficult! That’s why here at carwow we are on a mission to change the way people buy, sell or use a car by creating the world’s best online car marketplace.
We're not all petrolheads - just a highly driven (excuse the pun) scale-up with over 350 carwowers in the UK, Germany, Spain and Portugal.
Since starting our journey in 2011, we’ve grown to become one of the most trusted comparison sites with over 12 million users and a Trustpilot rating of 4.7. We are also very proud to be backed by some of Europe’s most respected technology, marketplace and automotive investors.
At carwow, we aim to create a culture where our team can thrive no matter where or how they work. With hybrid working (1-2 days in the office although more if you like), and a healthy home office budget of £500, we are also open to looking at alternative working patterns to ensure carwowers can work in a way that works best for them.
We’re also a curious bunch and benefit from a number of different training opportunities. We are big on celebrating successes, working collaboratively and have found lots of ways to stay connected as a team both virtually and in person.
With a team of over 25 different nationalities, we know a diverse and inclusive workforce creates a more innovative company. We have work to do to get us where we’d like to be, but are working hard to get there and have a number of key DE&I initiatives underway.
So, if you always aim to WOW through everything you do (check out more info about our values here), we’d love you to join us on our journey.
About the role
Data Scientist @ carwow
Want to make your mark within a fast-moving industry? Do you want to use your technical expertise to shape the future of our business for consumers and our partners, helping identify and solve our biggest Commercial problems?
We are looking for a senior data scientist to join our Commercial Analytics and Data Science team to identify opportunities and build innovative data-driven products that enable our product teams to excite our customers and drive exponential business growth.
What you will be doing
- Creating explanatory models to explain the causes of business phenomena and evaluating available commercial levers
- Building and testing predictive models, testing multiple techniques and selecting the most appropriate and performant solution
- Championing a clear test and learn hypothesis-based mindset. You will be comfortable creating hypotheses, preparing and analysing data, identifying key trends and patterns and generating predictive models/insights.
- Keeping the Analytics and Data Science team up to speed with developments in the industry and eager to create innovative technologies that drive our product development with a key focus on machine learning and causal inference.
- Motivated by working in a dynamic environment - you will be an enthusiastic self-starter, building key business relationships and influencing our Analytics and Data Science roadmap with a focus on driving commercial value.
- Continually developing your own skills while also coaching less experienced members, providing technical support and contributing to the wider data community
- Extensive experience in articulating complex data science concepts to a non-technical audience, building credibility and trust while influencing our stakeholders
- Extensive technical experience with SQL and Python
- Experience developing data science projects from inception to deployment in a commercial environment.
- Experience with recommender systems utilising machine learning.
To achieve carwow's ambitions we have fostered a culture of data-driven innovation and evidence-based decision making. As a Senior Data Scientist supporting our Commercial function you will work with our teams to proactively identify opportunities to improve our proposition for those on both sides of our marketplace. We collect huge amounts of data and you will be using your analytical expertise to find the insights that change the status quo, and accelerate the growth of the company exponentially.
The role sits within the Analytics & Data Science team to benefit from the wider expertise but is closely aligned with the commercial team stakeholders which enables us to deliver the most impactful analysis by fully understanding the business questions,
carwow is a high growth business and this role is a high growth opportunity. To be successful it requires an enterprising spirit, self-discipline and the knack to be straight talking yet constructive.
Please note: We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've listed in this posting, so we’d encourage you to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not an exact match.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex analytical solutions to a variety of audiences.
- Capable of translating analysis into business recommendations and actions.
- Can structure your time to effectively prioritise requests with competing priorities in a fast paced environment.
- You have a deep interest and aptitude in data, metrics, analysis and trends and applied knowledge of measurement and statistics
- Strong SQL skills and commercial experience
- Strong visualisation (preferably using Tableau), analysis & reporting skills
- Experience working in an analytics or data science role.
- Ideally a working knowledge of Python (preferable) or R
- Ideally some knowledge of Statistics (Causal Inference)
- Ideally a numerate degree in. maths, science, computer science, economics, engineering or similar
- A competitive salary with equity in the company (share options)
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas Eve or an alternative religious holiday of your choice*
- Life insurance (4 x basic salary)
- Private pension scheme (carwow will match contributions up to 5%)
- Private medical health insurance with Vitality
- Free access to Sanctus mental-health coaching sessions
- The latest core Tech (Macbook Air or PC Surface Pro)
- Home Office budget of £500/€550
- Salary sacrifice benefits (i.e. cycle to work), Travel Loan
- Subsidised gym membership (50% off David Lloyds, Virgin Active and Nuffield Health)
*if you are not religious, this day will remain as Christmas Eve in conjunction with usual Christmas Bank Holidays
We are leading the change to Electric vehicles and are conscious of the impact our industry can have on the environment. We’ve already planted over 45,000 trees to date as a thank you to those who leave us a review and are extremely excited about our new partnership with ‘One Tree Planted’, which we hope will increase the number to around 60,000 trees a year.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options carwow provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure carwow is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at carwow
Gender diversity (male:female)
Male: 64% Female: 34% Other: 2%
London, Munich, Madrid and remotely in Portugal
$55 million in 2021
What employees are saying
"I do really love the 'remote first, hybrid working' mentality at carwow. We also offer a work from anywhere benefit which allows us to manage our annual leave really well. Our hybrid working is super flexible, so I can really manage my personal life well."
Anonymous Marketing Employee at carwow
More roles at carwow
- Account Manager (m/w/d)
- Junior Account Manager (m/w/d)
- Agency Partnerships Manager (m/w/d)
- Automotive Key Account Manager (m/w/d)
- Automotive Brand Partnerships Manager (m/w/d)
- OEM Key Account Manager (m/w/d)
- IT Office Helpdesk Technician
- Revenue Operations Manager
- Partner Insight Specialist
- Talent Acquisition & Employer Branding Specialist (m/w/d)
- Key Account & Sales Manager (m/w/d)
- Trainee Sales Executive
- OEM Brand Partnerships Manager (m/w/d)
- Global People Team Administrator
- Media Sales Manager (m/w/d)
- Business Development Manager (m/w/d)
- Senior Product Designer
- Office Operations Manager
- Team Lead Country Marketing Germany (w/m/d)
- Head of Customer Marketing
- (Junior) Business & Operations Analyst (w/m/d)
- Head of Country Marketing Germany (w/m/d)
- Senior CRM Manager
- Marketing Analyst Intern
- Praktikum / Werkstudentstelle - Plattform Konfigurator (w/m/d)
- Business Analyst Intern
- Marketing Communications Specialist (w/m/d)
- Copywriter (w/m/d)
- Praktikum Strategy & Innovation (w/m/d)
- Praktikum Business Development (w/m/d)