We’re on a mission to change the way people buy, sell or use a car by creating the world’s best online car marketplace. Since starting our journey in 2011, we’ve grown to become one of the most trusted comparison sites with over 12 million active users and an ‘excellent’ Trustpilot rating of 4.7.
carwow is backed by some of Europe’s most respected technology, marketplace and automotive investors, with $55 million Series D funding secured in December 2021. Over 400 carwowers from 25 nationalities work with us in the UK, Germany, Spain and Portugal. One of our goals for 2023 is to become a Top 10 European Start-Up to work for.
About the role
Do you want to use data to make a material and meaningful impact in a fast-moving company? Do you want to use your technical expertise to shape the future of our business for consumers and commercial partners? We're looking for a Lead Data Scientist to join our Analytics & Data Science team to drive the development of an innovative and market-leading pricing capability from concept through to deployment.
As a Lead Data Scientist, you will play a key role in building our Data Science capability at carwow working closely with stakeholders in Engineering, Analytics and the business. You will support our Analytics & Data Science function working directly to improve our proposition for users on both sides of our marketplace. We collect huge amounts of data and you will be using your expertise to unlock its power and accelerate the growth of the business.
You’ll be a key part of our Analytics & Data Science team, a centre of excellence guiding all areas of the business, working as a team to pool our vast knowledge and experience to deliver the biggest impact to carwow, its customers and its partners. carwow is a high-growth business and this role is a high-growth opportunity. This is a great opportunity to mentor other team members and share your experience and technical skills to maximise the value they generate.
Here’s how you’ll make a difference:
- You'll build, test, deploy and continuously improve predictive solutions with a particular focus on developing our vehicle pricing and valuation models
- You'll create explanatory models to help us understand the relationship between pricing and other commercial levers.
- You’ll drive our approach for building the tools and processes needed that enable us to deliver machine learning solutions at scale
- You'll work collaboratively with our stakeholders to build relationships, influence thinking, identify opportunities and deliver commercial value in ways we've never done before.
- You'll continually learn and develop while playing a key role in coaching less experienced members, providing technical guidance and contributing to the wider data community at carwow.
We are focused on creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We welcome applications from candidates of all genders, races and neuro-developmental backgrounds. We understand that no candidate will tick all of the boxes below so we’d encourage you to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not an exact match.
- Experience deploying and maintaining models via a Machine Learning Operations Platform such as Vertex AI, Sagemaker, MLFlow
- Expert at SQL and Python including common data science packages (scikit-learn, Tensorflow, PyTorch etc)
- Experience with time-series modeling techniques, forecasting and prediction
- Natural communicator with the aptitude to influence and build trust by articulating intricate data science concepts to a non-technical audience
- Experience leading on key strategic business problems and acting as a Data Science subject matter expert
- Track record of delivering impactful and commercially relevant solutions
- Deep interest and aptitude in prediction, maintaining an awareness of emerging tools and techniques
- Able to deliver solutions iteratively and effectively
- Experience mentoring and developing others is a bonus
- Experience building accurate pricing/valuation models is a bonus
🗺️ 🕔 Remote and hybrid working options: (2 days in the office)
💶 Competitive salary
🏢 Equity in the company (share options)
🏥 Vitality Private Healthcare
🏖️ 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas Eve or an alternative (religious) holiday of your choice
💻 Tech: The latest core technology (Macbook or Surface)
🪑 Remote working: You'll receive a ‘home office allowance’ of up to £500/€550 to help get set up with everything you need to succeed at home
🌍 Remote working: New: ‘work from anywhere for a month each year' policy in place should you wish to use it
👶 Inclusive parental, partner and shared parental leave, fertility treatment and pregnancy loss policies
📚 Learning and development budget
💬 Social: Company wide collaboration such as bi-weekly product demos, tech lunch’s, coffee with the exec sessions, book clubs, social events
🧑🤝🧑 Refer a friend and get paid!
🥪 Lunch & learns with internal and external speakers
Diversity and inclusion is an integral part of our culture. We know that diverse teams are strong teams, so we welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply for this position. We make recruiting decisions based on experience, skills and potential, so all our applicants are treated fairly and equally.
The FlexScore® is the result of a rigorous 2-step verification of a company’s flexibility
First we assess the flexibility options carwow provides and then we anonymously survey a statistically significant proportion of their employees to make sure carwow is as flexible as they say they are. Our assessment is based on the six key elements of flexibility: location, hours, autonomy, benefits, role modelling and work-life balance.
We ask the hard questions so you don’t have to.
Working at carwow
Gender diversity (male:female)
Male: 64% Female: 34% Other: 2%
London, Munich, Madrid and remotely in Portugal
$55 million in 2021