About the role
The Materials Engineer will provide engineering services to support growth and execution of pipeline and facility integrity assessment and maintenance engineering of client industry assets. As workload demands, this position will also support pipeline integrity management and marine engineering applications. This work will apply practices defined in industry codes and standards, making use of both hand calculation, experimental work and finite element modelling analysis tools to complete design and defect assessment tasks. This position will complete engineering tasks under the supervision of more experienced Engineers. In this role you will:
Complete materials and structural integrity assessments for energy sector facility and pipeline assets considering the effects of damage and degradation
Complete materials and structural new asset design or degraded system remedial action repair procedure development for energy sector facilities
Support development of engineering task proposals including the development of technical approach descriptions and level of effort estimates for engineering tasks
Capable of performings experiments related with fatigue, corrosion fatigue and SCC, fracture toughness, failure investigation and microstructural analysis work
Complete structural and mechanical analysis using finite element modelling
Employ MS Excel and/or Matlab to complete engineering calculations
Document engineering analysis tasks in project reports
Develop and grow familiarity with applicable engineering tools, codes and standards
In addition to these duties, the post holder may be required to carry out such other duties as may reasonably be required, from time to time, to achieve the above role purpose.
We are looking for enthusiastic and flexible team members, who possess the following knowledge, experience, and skills:
- Mechanical or Metallurgy Engineering university degree, with strong preference for candidates with a graduate degree
- Professional Engineering designation or potential to achieve
- Working knowledge of some or all applicable energy sector engineering codes and standards including
o ASTM E8, E23, E606, E647, E1820
o API 579 integrity Assessment
o CSA Z662
o ASME Pipeline standards
o ASME VIII Div 2 pressure vessel and piping design
o API RP 1183
- Experience and understanding of energy sector (oil and gas) pipeline and/or plant/facility engineering for integrity assessment, design and remedial action development
- In depth expertise and experience with workings of servo hydraulic test frame, instrumentation (strain gauges, LVDT, clip gauges), ANSYS, ABAQUS and/or LSDYNA linear and non-linear finite element modelling of mechanical and/or structural systems
o Non linear material / Large Displacement / Contact analysis
o Fracture simulation / Buckling
- Understanding of and practical experience applying fatigue, fracture and strength of materials concepts
- Facility in automating routine engineering tasks through software development
- Good communication skills including the ability to organize thoughts, data and prepare task and project reports
- Ability to manage time and effort on multiple tasks
- Health and safety awareness and training including company procedures and regulations
- Familiarity with and ability to work within a company quality management process
- Ability to recognize problems or limitations and ask for guidance
- 5 or more years of energy sector engineering experience
- Proficiency in computational fluid dynamics
- Understanding of welding engineering and/or line pipe materials
- Understanding of geotechnical and hydrotechnical hazards assessment
- Experience in pipeline integrity assessment including understanding of pipeline system and their operations
- MS Word and MS Excel proficiency
- Project management familiarity
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective and sustainable future. To find out more about BMT click here .
BMT is open and committed to discussing flexible working. We believe that everyone performs at their best when they have the flexibility to make working for BMT work best for them.
BMT hires talented people and welcomes applications from everyone. We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time (to find out more click here ). Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development.
Don’t hesitate to ask more about our benefits during the hiring process.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application via our company Careers page. We look forward to learning more about you.
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow