Legislation and Standards (Safety and Environmental Protection) Consultant
About the role
As part of our exciting growth plans, we are looking for a Legislation and Standards Consultant join our UK safety and environmental protection capability to support our clients to understand and comply with UK safety legislation and particularly in compliance with UK MOD Safety and Environmental Protection policy.
As a Legislation and Standards Consultant, you will be part of a high-performing team that delivers independent and assured advice and world class solutions to our varied client base across the maritime, air and land domains. You will have the opportunity to apply your knowledge and experience to exciting and varied work. You will often work on more than one project at a time and will receive support, guidance and mentoring from the team as required.
As part of this key role, you will:
· Support the maintenance, update and creation of BMT legislative tools, including assessments the impact that new and/or amendments to legislation may have on existing legislation, customers and their assets.
· Provide support in the creation of new and/or the update of existing customer compliance statements or activities, based on new or amended legislation.
· Provide support to projects in meeting standards requirements, through the maintenance of standards and legislation databases, and recording of project compliance to applicable standards.
· Support the delivery of Safety, Sustainability and Environmental Protection projects to schedule and budget, whilst meeting customer and internal expectations.
· Understand and assist projects to comply with the UK MOD legislative compliance obligations, including the application Derogations, Exemptions and Disapplication (DEDs) on MOD.
· Understand and apply the principles of MOD’s Safety and Environmental Protection management systems (set out in JSP 815 and JSP 816) and MOD’s regulatory regime, (set out in DSA01 and domain specific regulations and guidance).
· Support colleagues with legislation and standards compliance activities, as and when required, including providing advice to BMT’s design teams about where and how to address legislative and standards compliance in product and system design.
· Liaise with customers and provide guidance on legislation and standards compliance.
As a consultant you will have a contracted location in one of our offices (Bath, Fareham, Glasgow, Plymouth or Weymouth), be able to work remotely and will be expected to work on client sites when required.
We welcome applications from candidates wishing to work full or part time (please note, for part time working you should be available for a minimum of 25 hours per week).
We are looking for enthusiastic and dynamic team members, ideally with a background in application of legislation or standards to complex systems or products, ideally (although not essential for this role) with UK Defence experience; alternatively, experience and understanding of legislation and standards as they apply to the UK.
You will have practical experience in the development and management of UK legislation and standards. An ideal candidate will also have safety or environmental protection experience of some or all of the following:
· Hazard logs or Environmental Features Matrices.
· Supporting and facilitating hazard identification and hazard review meetings.
· Environmental Impact Analysis.
· Authoring safety or environmental assessments
· Authoring of safety and/or environmental case reports.
· Knowledge of statutory safety and/or environmental legislation and how to attain, and manage, legislation compliance.
As much of our work is directly customer focused, your excellent communication skills and ability to present professionally both verbally and in writing are essential for this role. We also welcome your analytical thinking skills and your ability to work well in a team.
You will be self-motivated with a proactive approach to professional accreditation. We value professional qualifications and professional registration with appropriate organisations and we can provide support, training, and tailored experience in order for you to achieve these, if not already held.
You must be able to satisfy UK Ministry of Defence security requirements and be eligible to work in the UK to be considered for this role.
Missing skills? Let us be the judge! BMT is passionate about people; we recognise that technology moves quickly and that no one can learn everything, which is why we seek those who can adapt and demonstrate the aptitude to learn. With enthusiasm and the right attitude, we can help you discover your potential.
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective and sustainable future to find out more about BMT click here .
BMT is open and committed to discussing flexible working. We believe that everyone performs at their best when they have the flexibility to make working for BMT work best for them.
BMT hires talented people and welcomes applications from everyone. At this time, we particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian, minority ethnic, female, and non-binary candidates as we are underrepresented in these groups.
We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time (to find out more click here ). Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development.
Please ask more about our benefits during our discussions about you joining our team.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to learning more about you.
A message to recruitment agencies: We receive applications exclusively via our ATS. Please note that we do not accept CVs submitted via email to the HR department or staff within our Operational teams. We will not progress CVs shared on a speculative basis by email and you accept our right to pursue such candidates with no obligation to third-party terms and conditions or liability to a fee
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow