About the role
As the Hull Surveyor you will be responsible for undertaking surveys as part of a team, compiling survey findings, producing survey reports, developing repair specifications and undertaking acceptance activities in a marine environment. Specifically, you will:
- Develop survey package from technical documentation
- As part of a team, conduct visual inspections and surveys on marine (primarily submarine) structures in a heavy industrial environment
- Compile inspection findings and produce survey reports
- Request and assess the results from Non-Destructive Testing
- Assess structures against relevant codes and standards to determine whether repairs are required
- Develop technical specifications to resolve complex repairs
- Provide input to risk assessments
- Conduct quality assurance activities such as work acceptance and inspections to verify completion of key steps in repair sequences
We are looking for enthusiastic and flexible team members, who possess the following knowledge, experience, and skills:
- A College Technologist Diploma or engineering degree in a relevant field and eligibility to be certified by an associating body,
- An attention to detail and a demonstrated ability and aptitude to problem solve technical issues,
- Excellent oral and written communication skills,
- Strong teamwork skills and the flexibility to effectively work in an environment subject to frequently changing or competing priorities
- Current Canadian Security Clearance, or ability to obtain
- 4+ years of relevant technical experience
- Practical experience working with marine platform systems or steel structures in a marine environment
- Experience working in a fast-paced commercial shipyard environment
- CSA W178.2 Welding Inspector or equivalent
- NACE Coating Inspector or equivalent
- Non Destructive Testing Certification in compliance with CAN/CGSB-48.9712-2014 or equivalent
BMT is a maritime-orientated high-end design house and technical consulting firm driven by a passion for solving complex, real-world problems. To find out more about BMT click here .
BMT is open and committed to discussing flexible working. We believe that everyone performs at their best when they have the flexibility to make working for BMT work best for them.
BMT hires talented people and welcomes applications from everyone. We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time (to find out more click here ). Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development.
Don’t hesitate to ask more about our benefits during the hiring process.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to learning more about you.
Please note this role will require the successful candidate to relocate to Victoria, if not already located in the area.
BMT is committed to employment equity, to eliminating discrimination and encouraging diversity amongst its workforce. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow