Engineer - Structure (Yachts)
Lateral Naval Architects (https://www.lateral.engineering/) specialise in the engineering of yachts. Lateral are part of BMT Specialised Ship Design which is a prestigious Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering design consultancy providing a broad portfolio of services for advanced and specialised vessels, from initial concept through to detailed design and production. With an established background in yachts, commercial and naval vessels and significant experience across all hull form types, propulsion systems and structural materials, the company utilises state of the art technology to provide innovative design solutions and consultancy services tailored to the individual requirements of owners, operators, and shipyards worldwide. We work at the forefront of technology including working on the transition to net zero carbon technology.
What’s the role?
We currently have a fantastic opportunity for an Engineer - Structure assigned to Lateral Naval Architects. The Engineer – Structure is responsible for providing a skilled contribution to the design and analysis work for assigned projects within the company and maintaining the technical requirements and the standard of deliverables required within the discipline. Sharing their knowledge and experience with colleagues across all disciplines, working in close collaboration on a project by project basis. Taking on an active coordination role when required, overseeing assigned projects across all disciplines, whilst also maintaining the primary role. Actively managing the quality of work produced and completing assigned tasks in a timely and transparent manner.
What are we looking for?
- Minimum of 3 years relevant experience in the marine industry.
- Self-motivation and time management to meet agreed targets and deliverables deadlines.
- Personal time planning, including feedback to support in the definition of resource requirements, time budgets and deliverables deadlines.
- Proven ability to process technical problems and effectively seek out the correct technical solution using sound engineering judgement.
- Demonstrates communication and behavioural competencies in alignment with or exceeding BMT Career Level expectations.
- Commercial awareness, with the ability to ensure that works are being carried out and completed to an appropriate standard and level of detail, measured against the contracted deliverables and tracked against the agreed budget.
- The ability to produce clear and well-presented drawings and plans to a suitable quality and standard.
- 2D CAD (AutoCAD) to produce design information.
- 2D/3D CAD and other specialist software (including MathCAD calculation and Strand FEA software) as required to produce and to review design information.
- MS Office to develop reports, spreadsheet data and presentation information.
- Knowledge and understanding of statutory regulations and Classification and Flag rule sets.
- Knowledge and understanding of ship structural design.
- Knowledge and understanding of structural analysis.
- Knowledge and understanding of ship systems design and its impact upon integration.
What do we do?
Lateral Naval Architects provides complete engineering expertise to the superyacht industry, from project conception to delivery, operation, and refit. Our core competency is engineering, but our unique focus is on meaningful innovation to enable superyachts that meet the demands of today's owners and those of the future. We believe that meaningful innovation starts with asking new questions.
BMT is a maritime-orientated high-end design house and technical consulting firm driven by a passion for solving complex, real-world problems. To find out more about BMT click here .
BMT is open and committed to discussing flexible working. We believe that everyone performs at their best when they have the flexibility to make working for BMT work best for them.
BMT hires talented people and welcomes applications from everyone. At this time, we particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian, Minority ethnic, female, and non-binary candidates as we are underrepresented in these groups.
We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time (to find out more click here ). Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, family, finance, and personal development.
Don’t hesitate to ask more about our benefits during the hiring process.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to learning more about you.
A message to recruitment agencies: We receive applications exclusively via our ATS. Please note that we do not accept CVs submitted via email to the HR department or staff within our Operational teams. We will not progress CVs shared on a speculative basis by email and you accept our right to pursue such candidates with no obligation to third-party terms and conditions or liability to a fee
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow