About the role
This mid-senior-level Engineer will be part of a team defining specification, design, assembly, and installation of the company systems and products in the laboratory and offshore as needed. This position sometimes requires installation and factory or site acceptance testing of supplied systems onshore or aboard offshore oil platforms and ships, or in shipyards worldwide. This position will be reporting to Engineering Manager. While working on assigned projects, this employee will work with the Project Engineer to identify the project accounts, recognize the revenues, and allocate budgetary needed for the different components of the projects. The job focus is on technical coordination of the design inputs, budgetary and schedule management and acting as the principal point of contact with both the customer and the BMT representative.
Duties / Responsibilities
· Assist in the development of electronics for instrumentation systems
· Interact with Mechanical Engineers and Software Engineers to integrate electronics hardware into system designs
· Support Project Engineers and Project Managers in electrical aspects of projects as requested
· Development and test prototypes of devices they design
· Defining the tests, evaluating, modifying, and re-testing products
· Analysis of problems to see how electrical/electronic devices might help solve the problem
· Analyze the test results and change the design as needed
· Monitoring a product in use and improve on future design
· Defining requirements and functionality of the systems
· Customer support, communicating with clients and contractors
· Identify customer requirements
· Define budgets, timescales and specifications with clients and managers
· Definition of electrical/electronic project requirements
· Liaising with suppliers and with others in the design team
· Production and implementation of designs and test procedures
· Presenting designs to managers and clients
· Perform work offshore or in the marine industry, or in shipyards if necessary
· Specification of the architecture for systems
· Write and review technical documentation, writing and reading design specifications and technical drawings
· Writing and reviewing reports and documentation
Location & Flexibility:
In terms of location, we have office in Houston, TX. This is a hybrid job . Please note that the travel to customer sites or to attend meetings will be required. This role is a full-time position.
Education and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering or related Engineering field, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required
· Five (5) years knowledge and experience in engineering systems design
· Experience in the offshore or marine industry or in shipyards
· Experience with electrical design of Subsea Structure Monitoring Systems
· Experience with electrical design of one or more of the following: Oil and Gas Instrumentation Systems, Metocean Monitoring Systems, Radio Network Architectures, SCADA Systems, Off-Grid Solar Energy Systems
Skills / Abilities / Knowledge:
· Familiarity with standard electronics concepts, practices, and procedures
· Demonstrated ability in system tools and electrical design tools
· Demonstrated ability with 2D drawing tools (Draftsight, AutoCAD)
· Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, and Outlook
· Able to work independently or in a team environment; with ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people.
· Good oral and written communication skills
· Good organizational skills
· Ability to effectively engage in multiple projects at one time
· Working knowledge of computerized data acquisition systems
· Working knowledge of analog instrumentation and signal conditioning
· Demonstrated ability with Matlab, C++ and Labview
· Demonstrated ability in programming PLCs
We exist to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time. We create environments where people with outstanding technical knowledge deliver meaningful, practical solutions. We are driven by a commitment to a safer, more efficient, effective, and sustainable future to find out more about BMT click here .
This is a hybrid job but at times requires to be in the office.
BMT hires talented people and welcomes applications from everyone. BMT is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, genetic information,
national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
We know that diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to achieving our purpose as a business which is to navigate the most important and impactful engineering challenges of our time (to find out more click here ). Our passion and goal are to build more diverse teams and to create an environment where employees are engaged, thriving, and feel a sense of belonging.
At BMT, our employee benefits are designed to ensure you have the resources you need to thrive.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a wide range of benefits in areas including health, dental, vison, life insurance, long term disability, short term disability, health care flexible spending account, dependent care reimbursement plan, 401k, PTO, 9 holidays, plus 1 floating holiday and professional development opportunities.
Don’t hesitate to ask more about our benefits during the hiring process.
Does this sound like you? If so, please submit your application as soon as possible. We look forward to learning more about you.
A message to recruitment agencies: We receive applications exclusively via our ATS. Please note that we do not accept CVs submitted via email to the HR department or staff within our Operational teams. We will not progress CVs shared on a speculative basis by email, and you accept our right to pursue such candidates with no obligation to third-party terms and conditions or liability to a fee
We asked employees of BMT how satisfied they were with flexible working, and this is what they told us
Working at BMT
Gender diversity (male:female)
66% Male, 28% Female
Teddington, Bath, Southampton, Fareham, Bristol, Plymouth, Weymouth, Leeds, Aberdeen, Glasgow